Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,078 times

Advertisements

We moved to Mint Hill 2 1/2 weeks ago and want to leave our charming little town for an afternoon/evening out (we're sick of unpacking). There's 3 of us- 2 parents and an 8 year old who's interested in everything. We hit Discovery place last week. We're looking for some other things to do. We don't mind a little drive. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,667,671 times
The Whitewater Center is great fun! They have hiking trails, bike trails, whitewater rafting, kayaking, climbing walls, zip lines... or, if you just want to sit & watch watercraft go by, you can eat on the deck of the River's Edge Bar & Grill and do so! There's a $5 charge for parking, and trails are free, the other activities require a purchased pass.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,239,223 times
Carowinds opens soon!

check it out.....

Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,557,241 times
Reed Gold Mine, Great Wolf Lodge, Concord Mills Mall, Charlotte Nature Museum, Freedom Park, Winghaven, Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens....

Just a few ideas......

Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM

Here are things a short drive from Charlotte we've enjoyed:

Lazy 5 Ranch - It's a drive-through animal park with giraffes, zebras, watusis, goats, ostriches... We've gone with a group several times, so we've used the "hayride", I've never just driven through. The animals are very well cared-for. It's in Mooresville, about a 45 minute drive from Charlotte.

Biltmore Estate - Lovely mansion built by George Vanderbilt in the late 1800s. I thought I wouldn't enjoy touring a mansion, but it is exquisite, and you get a feel for George's sense of beauty. The gardens are *amazing*, they would be beautiful this time of year. This is in Asheville, so it's more of a day or weekend trip.

Carolina Raptor Center - Dedicated to the preservation & rehabilitation of raptors/birds of prey. They have programs where you can meet owls, eagles, hawks, falcons and other birds, or you can just visit & take a self-guided tour on their nature trail. It's in Latta Plantation Nature Preserve, which is also a wonderful place to visit. Latta Plantation is a living history farm & 1800s cotton plantation. You can tour the home & farm. The Nature Preserve (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/InsideTheDepartment/Divisions/StewardshipServices/NaturePreserves/Pages/Latta.aspx#history - broken link) has hiking trails, a backyard garden habitat, fishing, horseback trails, a nature center. It's right on Mountain Island Lake, in the northwestern part of the county.

There's lots more, but I need to get to work! Welcome to the area!!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM

13 posts, read 20,583 times
Hiddenite is a Emerald mine in Hiddenite, NC off of I40-Went there on Mother's Day had a great time being outdoors-found some cool stones. Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville is my all time favorite-we take everyone who visits us there!!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,390,398 times
Charlotte Knights in Ft. Mill, right off of I-77. Fan Fest in on 4/2, an exhibition game with the UNCC Baseball team on 4/5 & opening day is 4/7. They have fireworks every Sat. night. General admission is $8 a ticket.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM

537 posts, read 1,772,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The Whitewater Center is great fun! They have hiking trails, bike trails, whitewater rafting, kayaking, climbing walls, zip lines... or, if you just want to sit & watch watercraft go by, you can eat on the deck of the River's Edge Bar & Grill and do so! There's a $5 charge for parking, and trails are free, the other activities require a purchased pass.
Dang! CharlotteGal beat me to it!
We just went over there for the first time 2 weeks ago and I cannot wait to go again!!! Oh, and, if you have a dog, it's dog friendly, too!!!

A link to some pix I took while we were over there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lzaras/sets/72157626127568059/ (broken link)

Last edited by LakesideAnnie; 03-24-2011 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: added link to photos.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,262,165 times
I agree with the White Water idea. However, don't bring the dog if you want to zip line or kayak as a family...someone will have to sit out with the pooch!

Another idea? Head up to Davidson. It is a cute little town. You can get ice cream, throw a frisbee around on the grass right there in town and visit the little bookstore. It is a nice place to just relax and people watch. But with an 8 year old, you will want the frisbee!!

Freedom Park is also a great place to let him play (go to the playground with the 'train') and to walk and picnic as a family.

Finally, as soon as it opens head to a Knights game (local AAA baseball team). It is fun, cheap and very, very family oriented!

Enjoy!

Taben

Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post

Finally, as soon as it opens head to a Knights game (local AAA baseball team). It is fun, cheap and very, very family oriented!
There's also a really great playground at the stadium - my youngest doesn't care to sit & watch the game at all, so I'd hang out with him on the playground when he was younger. It seems like it was really big, but I might remember it that way 'cause he was quite small the last time we went!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte