Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times

Advertisements

My suggestion would be to rent for the first year to make sure you like the neighborhood/area before buying. You may find that you like another neighborhood better so renting would be your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 AM

35 posts, read 65,775 times
when you are looking at schools you have to consider middle and high school too. Most of the elementary schools are good and have great report cards. Not so for the middle and high schools. They get worse as the kids get older. Iredell Co. has the best high school around. Wish we had moved there. our kids are going to new schools, if they hadn't opened Hough High, we would be in a bad boat. I have kids in all three, elem., mid, and high. Think ahead, that is my advice.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times
Default Rocky Ridge High School

The new Rocky Ridge High School is great from what I hear. I know you said 4th Grade but the next year will be high school. There will be beautiful grounds for this school. They should be working on the entrance soon. Right now they are using a side entrance.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

23 posts, read 51,669 times
Default Fort Mill,SC

Fort Mill, SC & Marvin,NC & South Charlotte has great schools. Chek them out.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhere View Post
We are coming from Northern California, so this is a BIG move for us. My husbands parents moved to Charlotte 3 years ago and my mom just bought a house there last month, so we'll have plenty of family around. With my husband working for the same company that he does here and no real commute on his part, our biggest challenge is finding a great school and a family friendly community. From my visits out there, I think Waxhaw is the right area but we are open checking other area's out. We just don't have that much time if we are going to buy, need to have an address to tell the moving company!! Oh well, the search begins on friday.

Good luck! And keep up posted on what you decide

Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 AM

76 posts, read 158,834 times
Default Welcome to the Area !

Hey OutofHere... glad to welcome you to the carolinas. I relocated from SoCal about 6 years ago and now I tell people CA is a great place to visit ! If you don't find what you're looking for in Union County, consider looking a little to the West in York County. The Fort Mill schools are very good --lots of people relocating from Charlotte to Fort Mil and Tega Cay for that reason (both towns are part of Fort Mill School district. Like Union County, our taxes here are much lower than Char-Meck as well. One benefit over Union County is the easy accessibility to Charlotte, as we're a straight shot down I-77 from Charlotte, where getting to CLT from Union County means a bit of time on all the smaller roads. Not a concern if you don't plan to go to Charlotte for anything... but coming from CA, I'm guessing you'll want good access to shopping and all the things to do that are closer in to CLT. Good luck !!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
I would also check out Cabarrus County Schools. There are some neighborhoods right on the line of Meck County, but still in Cabarrus. The schools are very good - Cox Mill Elementary, Harris Middle and Cox Mill HS. The neighborhoods - Skybrook, Highland Creek, Cannon Crossing, Winding Walk. It's worth checking out.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
I'll throw in my usual mantra here - I know moving twice is a pain, but you might want to consider renting for a year in the school disctrict and area you *think* you want to live in. You may find that your activities/travels outside of school and work lead you to think a different area is ideal.

Just a thought. If we had rented prior to relocating, we'd likely have ended up somewhere else from where we live. We've met wonderful people in the neighborhood, so I wouldn't trade it, but basing it just on house neighborhood alone, we'd almost certainly have ended up elsewhere.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,433 times
My family moved here last summer (4th grader and 1st grader). We are in Providence Woods (Union County--Matthews) across from Weddington Swim and Tennis Club, and our kids go to Antioch. We love it, but we have also heard good things about other Union County Schools and neighborhoods.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,027 times
Hey I'm moving to Charlotte from Northern CA in June too. Good luck with the move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte