Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,033,903 times

Advertisements

Speaking just on taxes, SC will be cheaper. If switching your vehicle plates, NC charges a highway use tax (charged one time on the vehicle) plus personal property tax (annual). SC charnges personal property tax (annual).

SC may have slightly higher vehicle insurance rates, but that is just something I've heard from an insurance agent - I haven't experienced it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,160,361 times
Also consider that in much of SC you dont have pro fire fighters but local volunteer firemen and your fire insurance can be more because of it. Little things like packs of wild dogs running free and people raising hogs and other livestock next door and dont forget chickens in SC will not be found in the charlotte meck area.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,461,674 times
I also live off Gold Hill exit and it takes me normally 30 minutes to uptown in rush. Tonight going for dinner up there took us 15 minutes. Airport I can make 15 minutes at anytime of the day (use I-77 to I-485 and you will avoid all traffic). Roads aren't any better or any worse than NC side. As for Gas, it is around 10 cents/gallon difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Speaking just on taxes, SC will be cheaper. If switching your vehicle plates, NC charges a highway use tax (charged one time on the vehicle) plus personal property tax (annual). SC charnges personal property tax (annual).

SC may have slightly higher vehicle insurance rates, but that is just something I've heard from an insurance agent - I haven't experienced it personally.
My insurance rates actually stayed the same when I moved from Charlotte into Fort Mill.

For vehicles, you can add the yearly vehicle inspection fee as well for NC. You don't have to do that in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Annual taxes... Is it cheaper to live in NC and work in NC or live in SC and work in NC?
Annual taxes are also cheaper like property taxes.

Here are links to income tax tables 2010
SC - http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/6E...0/SC1040TT.pdf
NC (go down to page 21) - http://www.dornc.com/downloads/D401.pdf

Say my taxable income is $35,000 and I file Single.
In NC, I pay $2324
In SC, I pay $1988

Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 AM

120 posts, read 238,374 times
Smile Fort mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
Hello!

I'll most likely be accepting a position that will relocate me to the Charlotte area. I've spoken with a few of my future coworkers and may have suggested that I should consider living just over the border in South Carolina vs. North Carolina to save on taxes, etc.

Is living in South Carolina and commuting over the state line THAT much cheaper? Why or why not? (My work location would be near the Charlotte airport.)

Thanks so much!
TRY FORT MILL SC NOT FAR FROM CHARLOTTE AT ALL..

Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,999,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Little things like packs of wild dogs running free and people raising hogs and other livestock next door and dont forget chickens in SC will not be found in the charlotte meck area.
Wow, I've been in SC for 10 months and haven't seen that yet. Guess I should be looking for it.

But in SC you do have to be on the lookout for Zombies. I saw a sign the other day to watch for them.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM

238 posts, read 697,412 times
Thanks to everyone for your responses! They've been extremely helpful.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,160,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Wow, I've been in SC for 10 months and haven't seen that yet. Guess I should be looking for it.

But in SC you do have to be on the lookout for Zombies. I saw a sign the other day to watch for them.
Well its there my friend. With little control over things like that it can be in your face anytime and you wont be able to stop it.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,033,526 times
One big thing to consider if you're planning to send your kids to college soon is that state schools in S.C. cost about twice as much as state schools in N.C. The S.C. schools are also, on the whole, sub-par compared to N.C. schools.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,461,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
One big thing to consider if you're planning to send your kids to college soon is that state schools in S.C. cost about twice as much as state schools in N.C. The S.C. schools are also, on the whole, sub-par compared to N.C. schools.
As stated in another thread...
Yes UNC is the best but South Carolina and Clemson are the next best public colleges (both SC schools).

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM

23 posts, read 32,527 times
Just a thought, but perhaps you could rent for a few months down here and look into it more yourself. I know that we immediately found some areas we liked after living down here for a bit, and perhaps you would as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte