Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,066,528 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by the "north side of the city"? What's your budget?

If schools are one of your top considerations you should be wary of northern CMS. Much of this will be driven by how big a house you need and how much you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri K View Post
Hey all!

My family will be relocating to the Charlotte area next month, we are in Florida now and are really looking forward to a climate change =). Well my hubby, great guy that he is, decided to look into neighborhoods ect before he knew the exact job location. We were planning on moving to Fort Mill, SC...but it turns out the job location is going to be on the north side of the city. I know a commute like that would make him grumpy...any suggestions?

Concord, Harrisburg, Huntersville?

We would like to rent for about 6 months before buying...cost isn't a huge deal.

We enjoy outdoor activities, have 2 girls ages 8 and 11, not big into the night scene (kids kinda takes care of that, lol) Looking for a friendly safe community.

Thanks for any help!

Oh on a side note how is the commute from fort mill to the north side of charlotte? looks like 35 min but i know thats not always the case i'm guessing more like 45 min to an hour in traffic...

Lorri, can you give us a road or street name instead of just the zip code? Zip codes can be long and meandering

And THANK YOU for posting your husbands mistake in choosing a side of town BEFORE he knew his job location.

Hopefully other newcomers reading here will learn from his big mistake. And thank goodness you didn't buy yet!

Regular posters like myself try to tell those who come here searching for info on where to live, GET THAT JOB FIRST, THEN DECIDE BASED ON THE JOB LOCATION WHERE TO LIVE.

Sadly, some do not get the message, or just refuse to listen, at their own expense.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM

314 posts, read 678,692 times
I agree with the other posters who suggested Concord, parts of Kannapolis or Harrisburg as good options to look into. I think the Fort Mill commute would takes its toll sooner than later...at least it would on me!
There are plenty of back roads to use if the highway is backed up too...My office used to be in that zip and I would have no problem on 85 from exit 52 commuting to exit 45 in the morning but it was sometimes difficult in the evening so I learned to use the back roads when that was the case.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,770 times
He will be working for Wells Fargo on W. W.T. Harris Blvd.

We've decided to rent an apartment on a 6 month lease to get to know the area, close to the job and 10 min from Harrisburg. If anyone knows anything about Harrisburg and has some good insight let me know.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri K View Post
He will be working for Wells Fargo on W. W.T. Harris Blvd.

We've decided to rent an apartment on a 6 month lease to get to know the area, close to the job and 10 min from Harrisburg. If anyone knows anything about Harrisburg and has some good insight let me know.
Join this mom's board: CentralPiedmontMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community There are moms from Harrisburg on there that can give you all the information you need. Another neighborhood to consider is Winding Walk though it's in Concord, but since you are renting to find a place to buy it's worth a look. Great schools and very family friendly neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 AM

24 posts, read 41,987 times
I 2nd Central Piedmont Mommies!! Harrisburg is a nice area. There are alot of nice neighborhoods near there, try to be in Cab. County if you can.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 AM

407 posts, read 854,761 times
Huntersville, Cornelius. Plenty of homes to rent. New HS in Cornelius. Back roads to W T Harris Blvd if I77 backed up. There are plenty of things to do in the area. When people say there is not enough to do I wonder if they ever had any kids or so affluent that they never spend any time at home. Below is one of the most realistic and honest quotes I have ever read on the forum.
Quote:
have 2 girls ages 8 and 11, not big into the night scene (kids kinda takes care of that, lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte