Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 PM

23 posts, read 58,271 times

Advertisements

Newbie here...planning a move from PA over the summer to the Lake Norman area. Just got home from a weekend whirlwind of house hunting.
A little about us...30s, 3 boys (ages 14, 8 and 7). After looking at 20+ homes around the lake, we really like the east side.

Our requirements..Waterfront, 5000sq feet or more, good schools, solid home, great neighborhood. So far, the point and the penninsula are in the lead. We love both places. Our price point is around $1 mil.

From our limited time there, it appears that Moorseville is a great place and the traffic issues on Brawley road are getting resolved. Cornelius is also great and is in a great spot for commuting to airport and Charlotte.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Don't forget to look at the west side (Denver) and the northern section (Sherrills Ford) of the lake too!

We chose Iredell-Statesville schools when we picked a place to live.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 PM

156 posts, read 407,819 times
Welcome!! We have lived in Cornelius for almost 12 years now and love the Lake Norman area. Both Cornelius and Mooresville have great attributes and a lot would depend on your personal preferences. I personally like living in Cornelius because it puts me that much closer to uptown Charlotte. But, I know lots of people (my parents included ) who live in Mooresville and love it. You (or your wife...I'm not sure who wrote the original post) could join www.lakenormanmommies.com to get a lot of good information about living in the area. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any specific questions about the area.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
If you need to make it to the Charlotte airport, then I suggest you limit yourself to the Mecklenburg part of the lake though on the other hand, a house with the specs that you list that would satisfy your needs won't be had for a million there. It might take $3M-$5M (though prices are dropping) The other option is the Denver side of the lake, but while houses right on the lake can approach a million dollars, the rest of the area demographically tends towards the trailer park range.

The traffic issues on Brawley are not going to be resolved anytime soon. No money is forthcoming from the NCDOT. I would not recommend this area for anyone who needs to routinely go to CLT.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM

488 posts, read 798,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precedexter View Post
Newbie here...planning a move from PA over the summer to the Lake Norman area. Just got home from a weekend whirlwind of house hunting.
A little about us...30s, 3 boys (ages 14, 8 and 7). After looking at 20+ homes around the lake, we really like the east side.

Our requirements..Waterfront, 5000sq feet or more, good schools, solid home, great neighborhood. So far, the point and the penninsula are in the lead. We love both places. Our price point is around $1 mil.

From our limited time there, it appears that Moorseville is a great place and the traffic issues on Brawley road are getting resolved. Cornelius is also great and is in a great spot for commuting to airport and Charlotte.

Any thoughts?
I am totally and completely prejudiced as I live near the Peninsula but that would be my personal choice. It is much closer in to Charlotte and I think it is a better resell should you decide to move. Brawley School Rd is horrific - yes they are working on it but I can drive anytime up on Catawba and rarely have too much traffic.

If you need to get to Charlotte and the airport Peninsula wins for me hands down.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 AM

249 posts, read 458,359 times
Another vote for the Peninsula

Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
If you need to make it to the Charlotte airport, then I suggest you limit yourself to the Mecklenburg part of the lake though on the other hand, a house with the specs that you list that would satisfy your needs won't be had for a million there. It might take $3M-$5M (though prices are dropping) The other option is the Denver side of the lake, but while houses right on the lake can approach a million dollars, the rest of the area demographically tends towards the trailer park range.

The traffic issues on Brawley are not going to be resolved anytime soon. No money is forthcoming from the NCDOT. I would not recommend this area for anyone who needs to routinely go to CLT.

The OP will be able to get what he wants in the Meck part of the lake, but wonder if he plans on sending kids to private or public school.
I wouldn't touch Meck schools with a barge pole and have no idea why Cornelius is so overpriced. Add that to the Meck taxes and it's a no brainer.

The traffic issues on Brawley are not going to be resolved anytime soon. No money is forthcoming from the NCDOT. I would not recommend this area for anyone who needs to routinely go to CLT.[/quote]

I really wish people wouldn't post innacurate information.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 194,640 times
What is up with all the constant bashing of Meck Schools? Has it gotten THIS bad since I graduated from South Meck in 1995?

Back then, there were good schools and bad ones. But people living in Union and Fort Mill used to get addresses in Meck to go to our schools.

Now, people act like every single school sucks simply by virtue of being in Meck. Co.

Whats the deal? (Part curiosity, part legit need for info: might finally make it back to CLT)

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM

23 posts, read 58,271 times
Is there really significance in the quality of schools between Iredell and Meck counties? I have heard this several time but seem to hear good things about the new high school.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 AM

459 posts, read 699,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
What is up with all the constant bashing of Meck Schools? Has it gotten THIS bad since I graduated from South Meck in 1995?

Back then, there were good schools and bad ones. But people living in Union and Fort Mill used to get addresses in Meck to go to our schools.

Now, people act like every single school sucks simply by virtue of being in Meck. Co.

Whats the deal? (Part curiosity, part legit need for info: might finally make it back to CLT)
Have you seen the recent census for Charlotte? I'm betting that has something to do with people's perceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte