Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 AM

150 posts, read 325,056 times

Advertisements

My house is in a residential neighborhood in East Charlotte that has a Hindu Recreation center planted right in the middle of it. My house is adjacent to the rec center property. For the past couple of weeks, they have been building some kind of addition to their property, and they have been working extremely late hours running loud excavating equipment. They may be getting ready to build a new parking lot also, I'm not sure.

Last night they were running this front end loader that beeps when it backs up until I finally walked over there and asked him to stop. It was almost 9:30 when I went and asked him to stop, that people in the neighborhood were trying to sleep. He didn't give me much flack about it, he went ahead and shut it off. Do city of Charlotte noise ordinances apply to this? Is there a certain hour that they have to stop working in residential areas like this? It would be nice if we could get them to leave no later than 6, but I don't know if I have any legal grounds to ask them to do that.

They are also tearing down trees and vegetation which served as a buffer between our two properties, and they have an old wooden fence that is starting to fall over. Since this is a commercial structure in a residential area, do I have any legal grounds to ask them to maintain that fence or vegetation between our properties, or do I have to pretty much take care of it myself?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,830,716 times
City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County Official Government Website

Search for

Noise Ordinances

Code Enforcement

Both will have information and links to report violations.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:41 PM

150 posts, read 325,056 times
Thanks, I already looked through all that. I wanted input from others who have been in similar situations, and what the outcome was.

Jeff

Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,144,369 times
Once when the workers were busy working at 1130pm building a house close to me I called the cops and they quickly came out and stopped the noise from the hard workers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte