Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

Just curious and nosey- Was out in the fringes of Charlotte this evening with my daughter- we were deciding whether to see the Wiggles at the Bobcat stadium- I wasn't aware the Wiggles are "yesterday"- lol.

Anyway, we ended up (through misdirection) in and around the Queens Road (I think that's the name of it) area. It struck me as very different than parts of Charlotte. So far I've seen communities that are brand spanking new or < 10 years old. Or I've seen communities that have small homes (on large acerage lots). This was my first time seeing these homes though. The hugh tree line streets, very shaded (these trees clearly have been there for many many many years). The beautiful homes (nothing was cookie cutter) and most were on nice size lots (i.e., > .33 acres, most likely .5-1 acre). It "felt" like old money neighboorhood (i.e., in Boston, the town of Weston is like that, or possibly in NY parts of LI).

Just curious if this is the case. I would suspect these homes command a nice price given there proximity to uptown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 07:35 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
Yes old money.. and new money moving into them....

And the wiggles are outdated already? Where did the time go.

I believe queens road is like a figure 8 whne looking at a map. You can just keep driving all day on it....

Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 16,447 times
That is the Myers Park area. Most of the homes on Queens Blvd run well into the 7 figures I think.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:58 PM

41 posts, read 145,895 times
Would this explain the very high SAT scores in Myers Park? What school district/schools are in this area. Just noticed the SAT scores in Charlotte dot com today. It seems like the whole CMS system is ready for a revamping? ...any thoughts or insight?...actually I guess this deserves it's own thread and is probably mentioned to death in other threads...sorry, I'll do a search....thanks, maryann

Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,201 times
Thumbs down Queens Rd. tudor featured in 1974 horror movie!

The poorly made film, "Lisa, Lisa" (aka "Axe," "California Axe Murders," etc.) was filmed in and around Charlotte and Waxhaw at four locations 37 years ago. Of all the locations, the tudor on Queens is the only location still standing. Though "Lisa, Lisa," available online on DVD as "Axe," is pretty awful (so bad, it's actually 'good'), it did play the Drive-In Theatre circuit back in 1974.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Just curious and nosey- Was out in the fringes of Charlotte this evening with my daughter- we were deciding whether to see the Wiggles at the Bobcat stadium- I wasn't aware the Wiggles are "yesterday"- lol.

Anyway, we ended up (through misdirection) in and around the Queens Road (I think that's the name of it) area. It struck me as very different than parts of Charlotte. So far I've seen communities that are brand spanking new or < 10 years old. Or I've seen communities that have small homes (on large acerage lots). This was my first time seeing these homes though. The hugh tree line streets, very shaded (these trees clearly have been there for many many many years). The beautiful homes (nothing was cookie cutter) and most were on nice size lots (i.e., > .33 acres, most likely .5-1 acre). It "felt" like old money neighboorhood (i.e., in Boston, the town of Weston is like that, or possibly in NY parts of LI).

Just curious if this is the case. I would suspect these homes command a nice price given there proximity to uptown...

Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
Myers Park was Charlotte's first planned suburb. The street layout was designed by John Nolen of Boston, the same guy who designed the layout of Beverly Hills, CA. It's got a pretty impressive history. Many of those large oaks were trucked in already at 40-60ft in height and replanted. A major feat for the 1920's.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
It's actually called Queens Road West (the nicest part of it). It always surprises me how young some of the homeowners look when I drive through. It is zoned for Myers Park HS but almost everyone I know over there sends their kids to Latin. If you drive by at the beginning of the school year, you'll see lots of sings that say "Latin Open House today" or "A senior Hawk lives here".

Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Myers Park High School has a mix of wealthy, upper middle class, middle class and poor (27% qualify for reduced or free lunch). One reason for the high scores is that it's a great school - I think!

Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

368 posts, read 946,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

You answered your own question.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
One of Patricia Cornwell's books was based on the area behind the Mint Museum, and referenced certain homes and people who lived there including several senior bank officials. I've done a good bit of work in that area, and when I was reading that book (I don't remember which one, sorry) I could see some of those homes and people in my mind.

And yes, it's definitely old money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte