Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM

310 posts, read 1,702,441 times

Advertisements

Recommendations for buying a full or queen sized bed for under $350 here in Charlotte? (I'm in the Southpark area.)

I need a bed for an extra bedroom-- planning to get someone to rent this as a furnished room so the bed doesn't have to be the highest quality but it should be comfortable.

I have no way to transport this bed myself, would need some kind of delivery. And is there a way to buy a used bed aside from using Craigslist? (again, that's not a good option if you don't have a way to pick up the furniture yourself.) Are there thrift stores or second-hand stores that sell used beds & offer delivery? (don't know if there's laws here against selling used mattresses here in NC?)

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,897,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Recommendations for buying a full or queen sized bed for under $350 here in Charlotte? (I'm in the Southpark area.)

I need a bed for an extra bedroom-- planning to get someone to rent this as a furnished room so the bed doesn't have to be the highest quality but it should be comfortable.

I have no way to transport this bed myself, would need some kind of delivery. And is there a way to buy a used bed aside from using Craigslist? (again, that's not a good option if you don't have a way to pick up the furniture yourself.) Are there thrift stores or second-hand stores that sell used beds & offer delivery? (don't know if there's laws here against selling used mattresses here in NC?)

In a situation such as yours you can't beat the Original Mattress Factory. They make them on site so you cut out the middle man

The nearest location to you is probably the one on South Blvd. http://www.originalmattress.com/

I would never purchase a "used" mattress - yuck!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,276,050 times
Quote:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I know we sometimes sleep in "used" beds while traveling, but I would NEVER bring a used bed into my home unless I knew it's history. That history would need to be exceptionally short, and the deal would have to be beyond belief.

To be clear I mean the bedding, not the frame/headboard.

I don't follow thrift stores much, but I doubt they deliver. I could be wrong. You must have a friend/lover/SO/pool guy/neighbor/etc., that has a truck or know someone who does. I find out I have lots of friends when they find out I have a pickup.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM

461 posts, read 988,362 times
Ikea

Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,020,412 times
You could probably get a queen size Aerobed at Frontgate in Southpark Mall for that price or less.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,989,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In a situation such as yours you can't beat the Original Mattress Factory. They make them on site so you cut out the middle man

The nearest location to you is probably the one on South Blvd. The Original Mattress Factory

I would never purchase a "used" mattress - yuck!

I just read on their website that all of their King Size Mattresses are hinged and can be folded from top to bottom.

Interesting. Never saw that before. I'm in the market too, gotta check them out.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM

233 posts, read 907,920 times
Default Removable Pillow Top

Quote:

If I were you, I would buy a cheap mattress and add a removable pillow top. This way you can wash the pillow top and each renter can feel like the bed is fresh to some degree.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Default Mattress Firm? Opinions on buying low-priced mattress/box spring from this business?

Went into a nearby Mattress Firm store, there's TV commercials about a sale at $99 each piece for their lowest price mattress (no matter what the size.) With bed frame, delivery & tax, could be less than $300. However, this particular store did not have the $99 mattress there on display, only the next-priced size. (Another store location does have this priced-mattress on display so I can go look at it.)

Anyone have experience dealing with Mattress Firm? Reliable delivery & set-up? Opinions about the quality of these low-priced mattresses? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM

689 posts, read 1,660,613 times
Don't you want to keep this renter for awhile?? I just don't think a cheap mattress will be comfortable. I am not saying you have to get the most expensive, but $350.00??

Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
Don't you want to keep this renter for awhile?? I just don't think a cheap mattress will be comfortable. I am not saying you have to get the most expensive, but $350.00??
I'm not trying to get a roommate who will be here forever (my last one who was supposed to be here "long-term" is leaving after 6 months to relocate to another state.) I have a prospective roommate who needs a place to stay for 3 - 6 months while on a work assignment here in Charlotte, she will only be staying in the bedroom during the week Mon - Friday or Mon - Thursday, will go "home" to her family in another city every weekend-- the Ideal Roommate! I'm not looking for a luxury bed, just something very basic. Not planning to pay what I paid for my own bed.

And yes, I'd consider buying a used mattress/bed set offered on Craigslist by an owner-- could get that for less than $150 but problem is getting it picked up & delivered here, I have no way to do that myself. If I were a guy w/ a truck (instead of a female without even a car), I'd have no problem buying a bed that way for this furnished room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte