Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM

149 posts, read 327,968 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm seeking information for my relative who has recently been granted an emergency Section 8 voucher due to a domestic violence situation. She has 4 children ages 18-5, looking for a fresh start in a decent safe neighborhood. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 PM

^I've forgot to mention that she had no luck looking at SocialServe.com

Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Socialserve is the listing agent for the Charlotte Housing Authority, so if she didn't find anything there, it's going to be hard finding something. She'll probably have to look at Craigslist or other sites, and ask a landlord who didn't specifically indicate they take section 8 if they'll consider it.

As long as the property passes inspection they can accept section 8, there aren't special requirements.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Can she look outside the immediate Charlotte metro - or does she need to stay pretty close in? Cause I was wondering about other areas such as Concord, Belmont, etc.

Sadly, there is a waiting list on most apartments that have 2 or more bedrooms (I have been told) - right in Charlotte. Houses are hard to find in good areas. Let us know if she can venture out a bit from Charlotte city limits - I am sure there are several of us who will try to assist with tracking down landlords.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Can she look outside the immediate Charlotte metro - or does she need to stay pretty close in? Cause I was wondering about other areas such as Concord, Belmont, etc.

Sadly, there is a waiting list on most apartments that have 2 or more bedrooms (I have been told) - right in Charlotte. Houses are hard to find in good areas. Let us know if she can venture out a bit from Charlotte city limits - I am sure there are several of us who will try to assist with tracking down landlords.
I've asked her earlier today if she's willing to venture out. She's willing to do that option. I'll take her out this weekend to see if there are any for rent signs. I appreciate all the help.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
I've asked her earlier today if she's willing to venture out. She's willing to do that option. I'll take her out this weekend to see if there are any for rent signs. I appreciate all the help.
If she needs public transportation, Gastonia has a bus system. She would want to avoid the NW area, though.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:32 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
There are quite a few houses for rent in Kannapolis, I don't know about Section 8 but since it's a less wealthy area I have a feeling some may be more open to accepting it.

Neighborhoods vary in terms of niceness & school quality (although none are flat-out dangerous so far as I know). If you look in the Kannapolis area near I85 and Cannon I think the schools are Concord's district and you have a pretty easy commute to Charlotte. The houses here are on the smaller side, mostly modest older homes 3-4 bedroom & 1-2 bath, but the neighborhood is pleasant.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Community Housing Corp. of Cabarrus County:

(919) 981 0740

The corporation is actually located in Raleigh but this is the contact #

This is a website showing potential Sec. 8 houses:

http://www.gosection8.com/Section-8-housing-in-Cabarrus-county-NC (broken link)

I really do think this may be a good place to look as houses may be more available than right in Charlotte and the children could find a good neighborhood and school to attend.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you, your family member and her children. Do not hesitate to let us know if we can help with more info on resources and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte