Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,666,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Yes, front page news today

Police shelve Tasers for now after another suspect dies | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/22/2472244/police-shelve-tasers-for-now-after.html - broken link)

Cynical me says it's not because there have been deaths, it's because the potential $$$ liability has gone up with the $10mm settlement.
without the deaths there aren't lawsuits...

maybe they are using them incorrectly or the manufacturer has faulty equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,291,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
everything is the governments fault ....

.......The user is still responsible for using the device CORRECTLY...
Luv, this would be the gubment in this case. LOL!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,284,996 times
Quote:

You are correct my friend, every cop ain't a good cop...after all, aren't they city/county/state gubment employees.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,529,623 times
Quote:

If the thugs wouldn't act like a bunch of nuts then the need for the tool wouldn't be necessary to begin with.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
IMO, the Taser is nothing but mumbo jumbo created by the Prison Industrial complex to scam money from the taxpayers. The Police should not carry these scams. Give them a pistol and a billy club. It worked for 100s of years, there is no reason this can't work now.

Else, make the tazer manufacturers liable for every death that occurs due to their devices. Will it happen? Absolutely not because they paid off the politicians who voted it in.
How are these devices scams?

The work effectively and very rarely there is a death involved. Just like getting cracked by a billy club and suffering a brain hemorage etc.

Really, you are rambling all over the place here about "prison industrial complex" etc. are you ok?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
LOL was watching dumbest criminals show at gym yesterday.....

large naked man trying to break into a DAY CARE. They tased him THREE times and after each blast he would jump up, rip out the taser prods and rush the door again.

Wish they'd put a couple bullets in his chest rather than risk him getting at those kids or hurting other bystanders.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,966 times
Sorry the kid died but if he hadn't engaged in behavior to cause himself to get tazed he'd still be alive. The cop has hopefully been fired and if there's any justice in the world the tazer company will get off the hook for the 10 million. It's not only absurd to hold the tazer company responsible for the cops misuse of thier product but it's gold digging by the plantiffs.

The problem with this country is that nobody accepts responsibility for their actions anymore and everybody is sue happy.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Why do you say this? Police carried clubs for hundreds of years.
More litigious era and more cameras to record abuse.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,291,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How are these devices scams?...
Really, you are rambling all over the place here about "prison industrial complex" etc. are you ok?
I shouldn't bother to respond since you felt it necessary to add the personal insult to your post. That part should have been obvious. However, any device, which the taxpayers have paid for, and which now have been pulled from use, IMO is a scam. It's not working as advertised. It compromises policing, and now the city is faced with another wrongful death lawsuit. Sorry sir, you haven't made your case unless you can demonstrate why these are useful devices beyond what the prison/law enforcement industrial complex claims.

I don't think I've ever heard of the same happening to a billy club or a gun.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 PM

359 posts, read 592,375 times
Nobody carries billy clubs. They carry batons if that's what you're referring to.

All I gotta say is: how on earth do you expect Officers to take a 6-5 250lb man on crack into custody?

Hands on? Yea right good luck with that one!

OC spray? Now he'll swing blindly at you but hey at least you pissed him off even more!

Baton? Jon Doe is in the corner videotaping you unleash multiple baton strikes to a person possessed by crack, which gives them ridiculous strength and a very high pain tolerance. So now you get everybody criticizing your actions. Oh and guess what you will probably break a bone or two on the crack addict because he won't even feel the strikes.

CMPD should just not arrest anybody, it's too risky. I mean if they go hands on there will be a lawsuit anyways.

I'm being facetious but there is an element of truth in there as well.

Seriously, get a pair of prop handcuffs and try to handcuff your spouse or child who is actively resisting it.

Like I said, I'm a pretty good size guy and there is a slim chance I could handcuff my much smaller girlfriend unless I throw some strikes to inflict pain to the point where she complies with verbal commands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte