Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,702,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Y'all seriously don't get it. A bunch of single people living in one area is NOT segregation. Families aren't attracted to the lifestyle so they don't live there, BY WILL. Single people like the lifestyle so they do live there, BY WILL.
If Single people like the lifestyle and live there BY WILL whats the problem?

You already said if the single people start dating they have to move... that is segregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,302,171 times
Quote:
And with that, I am done.
No you're not, LOL.....I guess things are pretty dismal in J'ville to continuously interact with us (welcome), Jacksonville has the same issues, it's a mid-size southern city. If you don't think so, post a thread with a similar title in the J'ville forum and watch what happens..LOL.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,885,419 times
It's not worth arguing about this subject or any other with someone from Jacksonville.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,220,656 times
To the OP: you've only been in Charlotte for a year. You've just got to give yourself more time to develop a social circle that will enable you to enjoy the city and what it offers more.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:59 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,220,656 times
Quote:
I don't have to. There are plenty of other people that say this. You can't tell me everyone of them made the mistake by moving to suburbia and that they were all in their 30s.
Sorry, but I don't think you have a leg to stand on by saying what Charlotte is or is not simply based on a handful of opinions when you've never actually lived there. That's just common sense.

I'd never say anything out of the way about Jacksonville if I'd never been there. But since I have, one thing I can say is that Charlotte has it all over Jacksonville when it comes to nightlife, particularly a centralized nightlife. Downtown Jax is dead as a doorknob on weekend nights which is the complete opposite of uptown Charlotte.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
well I live up north . I must correct your statement . We only shovel snow for about 3 and a half months ,,, and it sucks

Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,078,555 times
To the OP:

I appreciated your post and foresaw the firestorm that followed. Your comment of paying "whack the mole" was hilarious.
I have lived here since 1989 and am now a more (shall we say?) mature single. I don't drink and I am not into outdoorsy stuff. So, I agree, Charlotte is a pretty boring place. It is completely geared towards families, which is not a bad thing...if you have young kids and are in a relationship. But, for us on the "fringe", well, that leaves our options to be somewhat limited.

"MOVE ELSEWHERE" is the prevailing theme of those that are prone to defending Charlotte. In this environment, that is definitely not an option, whether or not you are employed. Unless, of course, your job moves you..and, that is a whole different story.

Besides, I do not find you complaining as it were, simply stating facts as a potential warning to others that may have different expectations upon moving here. I agree. I am also not complaining because I adjust my life with different activities, such as attending college for a potential third career change, and frequent travel; either abroad or to other places in the country. I also am very active in my church. My life is pretty full. But, finding activities IN CHARLOTTE to do as a mature single person, alone, is quite the challenge.

Keith, I hope that you find yourself a circle of friends to hang out with and do stuff with. If not, there is always travelling to places on the weekends...

And, I live in the University Area and I am not that sure of the one poster's remark that the single people are all up here....uhhh??? Except for at the university itself (and maybe the Harris Teeter) where???

Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,293,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
But, finding activities IN CHARLOTTE to do as a mature single person, alone, is quite the challenge.
What are all these activities that you, OP, and others are unable to find here? Maybe I'm in a vacuum because I've been here since I was 13, but even when I've been in other cities, I mostly find just a wider varietyof what I see here. I don't notice the supposed gaping hole in Charlotte's social scene.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 PM

222 posts, read 552,075 times
I think we're all missing a couple of big points in this discussion:

The single people who aren't happy in Charlotte aren't really unhappy because of a lack of "stuff to do," for lack of a better term. There are bars for people who want bars, and churches for people who want churches, and everything in between. What's really going on here is that single people are being transferred here for work from major metropolitan areas like NY, DC, Seattle, etc, and then are disappointed because the number of singles in their age group is significantly lower here than in the cities they came from.

I mean, think about it. If the singles in Charlotte could go into any bar or church, depending on their lifestyle, and meet 50 other smiling singles their age on any given day, they'd probably be very happy with Charlotte. But because of the lack of other singles, relative to those big cities they came from, it makes it seem as if there's nothing to do in Charlotte, largely because there's so few people out there for a single 30, 40, or 50 year old to do things with. In Charlotte, people in those age groups tend to be married and/or making babies. In, say, San Francisco, there are still lots of people in those age groups who are happily living the single, childless life.

I really think that if it weren't for Bank of America and a few other big employers that are essentially pulling big city young professionals down here, this wouldn't even be an issue. Charlotte is the size of Columbus, OH. Would any single person 30-50 really expect to be happy living in Columbus, OH? Probably not. But we don't think about it that way, because Charlotte is supposed to be one of these hot, new engines of economic growth, so people come here expecting it to be hip, urbane, and cosmopolitan, or at least preferring it to be that way.

The silver lining for big city young professionals finding themselves pulled down here professionally is that, as more and more of these types relocate down here, they will have the opportunity to change Charlotte and to pull it in the direction of what they are looking for.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 PM

85 posts, read 185,623 times
I don't hear women whining about the singles scene here. Its only men whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte