Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM

30 posts, read 126,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Plenty of posters on here know what you mean but don't feel like jumping into a back and forth with the folks that like to be dismissive or feel they need to jump to Charlotte's defense immediately.
Thanks. I feel like I'm playing a game of whack-a-mole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,535,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdoxen View Post
Anywhere and everywhere. This is not a review of Cotswold, but a review of the city as a whole, as contrasted with other cities.
Where is anywhere and everywhere? Would also be interesting to know which college town you moved from as a point of reference.

There are plenty of things I don't like about Charlotte - lack of a good subway/rail system, sprawl, razing of many historic sights/neighborhoods, lack of support of pro teams to name a few. I don't know of any Southern cities/towns where you have the density of older Northeastern/Middle Atlantic cities...add a lack of public transport and it makes for a very different dynamic.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Would also be interesting to know which college town you moved from as a point of reference.
Richmond, which I consider a bit of a college town due to VCU and U of R, both of which ensure the area is filled with young people. For those who aren't familiar with it, at the heart of Richmond are several huge areas that are primarily populated by and frequented by young people, including Shockoe, the Fan, Cary Town, and the Museum District.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 PM

3,879 posts, read 4,310,770 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their own point of view. I said that in the original post. But note how you began your post --- by saying that my point of view wasn't credible. Those seem to be contradictory statements.
Not really, in general, the "big-city" North has a hectic pace, especially during the work week, not gonna get smiles and hi-ya doing on the metro/subway. You adjust accordingly, at least I do.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-24-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM

3,879 posts, read 4,310,770 times
Quote:
Richmond, which I consider a bit of a college town due to VCU and U of R, both of which ensure the area is filled with young people. For those who aren't familiar with it, at the heart of Richmond are several huge areas that are primarily populated by and frequented by young people, including Shockoe, the Fan, Cary Town, and the Museum District.
Shockoe, very nice, when you say young, do you mean 18-25??? or 25-35???. My experiences there (not often) is the younger (18-25) as one would expect...common theme is after 30, the after hours crowd begins to thin for that age group.

But to your point, if UNCC were located in Elizabeth, Southend, etc. it would have created a different dynamic in the city (large urban campus).

Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,301,848 times
It's obvious to me the issue isn't the friendliness of the natives of the city.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,301,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
.....it would have created a different dynamic in the city (large urban campus).
There are three universities within walking distance of downtown. CPCC, JC Smith, & Johnson and Wales. I don't see where a 4th university, UNCC, would make much of a difference. Charlotte's lack of a coherent downtown isn't an issue of where a university might be located, and frankly a bunch of collage age kids isn't a positive for an area.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Shockoe, very nice, when you say young, do you mean 18-25??? or 25-35???. My experiences there (not often) is the younger (18-25) as one would expect...common theme is after 30, the after hours crowd begins to thin for that age group.

But to your point, if UNCC were located in Elizabeth, Southend, etc. it would have created a different dynamic in the city (large urban campus).
To your first point, yes, the Richmond crowd was often too young for me. It was a common complaint when I would have friends visit from DC or NY and we would go out. They would ask why I'm only taking them to places frequented by college girls. Um, well, that's pretty much all there is.

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph. If we could just uproot UNCC and place it in Southend, that would change everything.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

830 posts, read 1,535,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
There are three universities within walking distance of downtown. CPCC, JC Smith, & Johnson and Wales.
Hard to compare 25K+ undergrads between VCU and Richmond and the very small schools near Charlotte...JCSmith and Johnson and Wales probably don't have 5K undergrads between them, and I don't think CPCC even has residence halls, and is mostly a commuter/day/adult learning school.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,311,951 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph. If we could just uproot UNCC and place it in Southend, that would change everything.
So you want to go to Southend and hang around college girls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte