Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Hard to compare 25K+ undergrads between VCU and Richmond and the very small schools near Charlotte...JCSmith and Johnson and Wales probably don't have 5K undergrads between them, and I don't think CPCC even has residence halls, and is mostly a commuter/day/adult learning school.
No it's not. There were all these predictions of huge changes to downtown due to J&W. It's not made one iota difference. Go to any city in the Carolinas where there is a large university located in downtown, i.e. Duke in Durham, NC State in Raleigh, USC in Columbia, UNCG in Greensboro, and without exception, these places have deader downtowns than Charlotte. Go a couple of blocks away from these schools there is nothing except for rundown houses where students looking for cheap housing stay. The myth that universities make for huge liveable cities, are not borne out by the results. BTW, CPCC has an enrollment of 50,000 plus students. And UNCC is a huge commuter school too. There are not 25K students living on that campus and when weekend comes, what ones are living on that campus leave.

In any case, it's really irrelevant to this topic. From what I can see, there is no issues with Charlotte related to friendliness. To me this sounds more like an issue of someone heading to their mid 30's not being able to accept they are moving into their mid-30s and seeks to blame the natives for the difficulties of fitting in with college age and similar people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 126,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
So you want to go to Southend and hang around college girls?
I knew I'd have to clarify that statement.

The reason that would change the dynamic in the city is that you'd have a major university which would plop lots of young people down in the heart of the city. That would create a demand for the things that young, single people enjoy doing, such as a more vibrant night life, etc. Those things would bring out people like me who sit behind their computers and argue with folks on the Web about the pros and cons of Charlotte. As far as the college kids go, a lot of them would end up sticking around upon graduation, moving into apartments, getting jobs, etc. Basically you'd just end up making the city a lot more youthful and vibrant. Again, Richmond is an apt comparison.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM

181 posts, read 353,726 times
UNCC quietly has 25,000 students. Its expected to have 35,000 by the end of the decade.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 PM

181 posts, read 353,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdoxen View Post
I knew That would create a demand for the things that young, single people enjoy doing, such as a more vibrant night life, etc.
Please explain what is missing? What does "more vibrant" entail? Not picking at you just curious? I have listed a pile of things young people like to do.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
No it's not. There were all these predictions of huge changes to downtown due to J&W. It's not made one iota difference. Go to any city in the Carolinas where there is a large university located in downtown, i.e. Duke in Durham, NC State in Raleigh, USC in Columbia, UNCG in Greensboro, and without exception, these places have deader downtowns than Charlotte. Go a couple of blocks away from these schools there is nothing except for rundown houses where students looking for cheap housing stay. The myth that universities make for huge liveable cities, are not borne out by the results.

BTW, CPCC has an enrollment of 50,000 plus students. And UNCC is a huge commuter school too. There are not 25K students living on that campus and when weekend comes, what ones are living on that campus leave. In any case, it's really irrelevant to this topic. From what I can see, there is no issues with Charlotte related to friendliness.
Where did I say anything about universities making for huge liveable cities? I was just pointing out that there is a big difference between having 25K undergrads living near center city and having <5K in response to your posting about the 3 schools within walking distance of uptown.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Where did I say anything about universities making for huge liveable cities? I was just pointing out that there is a big difference between having 25K undergrads living near center city and having <5K in response to your posting about the 3 schools within walking distance of uptown.
You are only offering your opinion and UNCC doesn't have 25K living in its dorms. UNCG, Duke, NC State, USC, as I posted above disproves this opinion. BTW, I didn't say you did say this.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Whether you like it or not, the transplants are residents of the city. The fact that they're not "the natives" is really irrelevant to one's experience here, as we're dealing with the city's residents as they are, not as they once were or used to be. I don't see any utility in this distinction between natives and transplants for purposes of one's experience living in Charlotte.
Look, I live on the outskirts of the Charlotte area. I came down here & got very sick & had to have major surgery & was unable to work for a time. I have made friends, both natives & transplants in a far less populated area. As I said, I was asked out at Lowes, & that was in Shelby.

It boils down to a very few options of what's happening. Either you are continually running into transplants who are not friendly or you are doing something. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Get out of the bars. Find a hobby or find someplace to volunteer.You'll meet a different type of person. It doesn't matter if they're married. Married people have single friends.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
You are only offering your opinion and UNCC doesn't have 25K living in its dorms. UNCG, Duke, NC State, USC, as I posted above disproves this opinion. BTW, I didn't say you did say this.
I was comparing VCU/Richmond and Charlotte...didn't bring UNCC into this equation at all, as I know it's a commuter school.

What opinion are you disproving anyhow? That there's not a difference between 5K and 25K students on campus?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I knew I'd have to clarify that statement.

The reason that would change the dynamic in the city is that you'd have a major university which would plop lots of young people down in the heart of the city. That would create a demand for the things that young, single people enjoy doing, such as a more vibrant night life, etc. Those things would bring out people like me who sit behind their computers and argue with folks on the Web about the pros and cons of Charlotte. As far as the college kids go, a lot of them would end up sticking around upon graduation, moving into apartments, getting jobs, etc. Basically you'd just end up making the city a lot more youthful and vibrant. Again, Richmond is an apt comparison.
Um, no...Charlotte is a lot more vibrant than Richmond.

What you have going on in Charlotte is that a lot of graduates from schools in the south - be it UNC, NCSt, App St, Clemson, UGA, USC, VTech, ECU as well as from other parts of the country moving here for jobs, quality of life, etc. For a young professional, Charlotte has a lot to offer.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM

30 posts, read 126,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It boils down to a very few options of what's happening. Either you are continually running into transplants who are not friendly or you are doing something. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Considering that I didn't have these problems in DC or Richmond, where I lived from 2001-2010, it is highly unlikely that I am "doing something" to turn people off. That would require one to believe that somehow an abrupt change to my personality just happened to take place as I was moving to Charlotte. Seems unlikely.

I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who's unfriendly is a transplant. I'm sure that no matter what city you're in, there are natives who are both friendly and unfriendly, and transplants who are both friendly and unfriendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte