Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,311,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Lol yeah, it's just sad. Instead of them trying to help (which some have done, just not that many), they blame you for not liking Charlotte. (People do this on the Jacksonville forum) That makes it more unappealing for people looking to move to Charlotte. I don't get why they don't understand it.
People do it on every local forum, because others come in complaining that a particular city isn't something that it never claimed to be. Keith doesn't have to like Charlotte, no one said he did. What Keith needs to understand is:

1, Charlotte isn't NYC, Miami, etc., and therefore comparing us to them negatively doesn't make sense. This has been repeated several times with numerous appropriate analogies. I could kick my cat because it's not a dog, but that's not really fair to the cat, is it? It never claimed to be a dog.

I just love snarky analogies.

2. Keith seems to want something that doesn't really exist, at least here: a crowd of single thirty somethings that act like twenty somethings, or even college kids. There have been numerous reasons given for this.

3. Keith moved to an area that is woefully inadequate for any version of what he's looking for. There's almost nothing around Cotswold as far as nightlife goes, and very little population density.

I could not possibly care less about what Keith wants, or his lifestyle, or anything else about Keith. He's welcome to dislike Charlotte. But putting a bad face on Charlotte that it doesn't deserve is a concern. So far, Charlotte isn't what Keith is looking for. That's not Charlotte's fault. That's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM

801 posts, read 1,522,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdoxen View Post
Yeah, and now it's pointless for me to respond to any further comments on this thread. Anyone new who stops by will only give a cursory read to the arguments made in this thread, and if they agree with me, they will be silent, given all of the people who will jump on them otherwise. Anyone new to this thread who comments will do so just to pile on and raise their street cred with the community, given that the majority position seems to be that "Keith Doxen sucks!" And anyone who I've sparred with today who might be willing to discuss these issues in a civil manner will be reluctant to do so, as they would open themselves up to potential criticism. Note how even the respondents who tried to be helpful had to get their snark in against me, just to make sure that they too aren't singled out. For all the talk that I'm trying to re-live my 20s, the sort of behavior on this thread seems more like something out of middle school.
Lol, you're right. It's better left ignored.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM

801 posts, read 1,522,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
People do it on every local forum, because others come in complaining that a particular city isn't something that it never claimed to be. Keith doesn't have to like Charlotte, no one said he did. What Keith needs to understand is:

1, Charlotte isn't NYC, Miami, etc., and therefore comparing us to them negatively doesn't make sense. This has been repeated several times with numerous appropriate analogies. I could kick my cat because it's not a dog, but that's not really fair to the cat, is it? It never claimed to be a dog.

I just love snarky analogies.

2. Keith seems to want something that doesn't really exist, at least here: a crowd of single thirty somethings that act like twenty somethings, or even college kids. There have been numerous reasons given for this.

3. Keith moved to an area that is woefully inadequate for any version of what he's looking for. There's almost nothing around Cotswold as far as nightlife goes, and very little population density.

I could not possibly care less about what Keith wants, or his lifestyle, or anything else about Keith. He's welcome to dislike Charlotte. But putting a bad face on Charlotte that it doesn't deserve is a concern. So far, Charlotte isn't what Keith is looking for. That's not Charlotte's fault. That's just the way it is.
He's not putting a bad face on Charlotte, that's how it is! He's warning other people like him to expect what he experienced. When people tell you this stuff, it should be an eye-opener for you to realize what somebody else thinks of the city so you can try to make Charlotte better.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,415,176 times
So let me get this straight. Charlotte SUCKS because all of the attractive people here have found love (and the OP hasn't ). Um, OK? Anyways, instead of trying to find someone in a bar/club, try something totally different. How about taking a few classes part time at CPCC. It may sound weird, but you will ALWAYS meet single women (who are trying to better themselves) in a classroom setting (especially if you take CNA classes ). Also, get a YMCA membership. The Ys are full of women in our age category that are looking for a straight man with a job. Lastly, try getting a part time job at places where single women work (ie grocery stores, malls, shoe stores etc).

I am not sure on the exact numbers, but the vast majority of relationships start at work or school (not clubs and bars). People at the clubs are looking for ONLY one thing (and many of them have husbands/wives at home yet they still want that "one thing" elsewhere).

Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,311,951 times
Quote:
He's not putting a bad face on Charlotte, that's how it is! He's warning other people like him to expect what he experienced. When people tell you this stuff, it should be an eye-opener for you to realize what somebody else thinks of the city so you can try to make Charlotte better.
What would make Charlotte better, in your opinion?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM

15,383 posts, read 12,720,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What would make Charlotte better, in your opinion?
an ocean, a river walk with a strip of bars stay open all night long and the women are gorgeous and lack self esteem...

and a baseball team with Yankee money, Bostan fans and PNC stadium architecture.

Seriously... I live in Cotswold but that isn't where I go to play....

I 'm married anyway but if I wasn't why the hell would I want a party at my doorstep when I'm over 30? Go downtown and party all night if that is what you want to do.

I moved to NYC a few years ago because the wife and I lived in a rural area for a few years and we wanted it all... guess what? At our age we realized most the stuff we thought we needed to do (party/nightlife) we had outgrown. We aren't old heads and we like to have a good time but once you hit your 30's you tend to look a bit out of place at clubs with 21 year old kids.

Sounds like the OP is chasing after his youth... those days are gone. It's not the city, it's him.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
True... any guy that is over 30 who wants to bar hop and club it up will be a little disappointed with Charlotte's neighborhoods....

Funny thing is Creative Loafing has a photo session where they show different parties or club nights... I'm always amazed and frustrated I missed these events because they look like fun. However, I then think about what I was doing on the night the event was taking place and I realize I'm getting older.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM

881 posts, read 2,261,711 times
I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't actually live in Charlotte but I do have a few friends who do (ages 28-32) and they seem to have rather active social lives. I don't for one minute believe that all these 30 somethings are sitting at home. Heck even Raleigh which isn't as large as Charlotte has seems to have numerous young professionals out on the weekends downtown.

I will say this even in NYC people have trouble making friends, it's not as easy as just going to a bar and chatting someone up. There was a thread on their forum talking about how many of the bars seems to have 10 men for every woman and this is a city that has 200K more single women than men... I think after college you need to be a bit more open about how you meet people for friends and for dating.

also wanted to add: my friends who do live there don't really go out to clubs but they do go to bars. I mean they aren't getting trashed like some sort of college kid but I am a bit perplexed by some of the responses that because you go to a bar you are wishing to still be 21...

Last edited by ncsualum2004; 07-25-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM

38 posts, read 64,977 times
Keithdoxen, Dude, Thanks for stating your opinion man. You knew it could cause a reaction and you certainly got that. However, on a lighter note, I wish someone would just set you straight. That is, there is nothing wrong with Charlotte, it is a lovely city in its own right, but you just want to get laid in Charlotte. You have had some interesting and intelligent feedback from the posters but maybe no one is putting their finger on the pulse. I think if you could get some regularly you would actually love Charlotte, straight. Dude, it is possible that from now on the only girls that look really good to you are those that are already hooked up. Please just get some and release your frustration dude. Easy.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post

also wanted to add: my friends who do live there don't really go out to clubs but they do go to bars. I mean they aren't getting trashed like some sort of college kid but I am a bit perplexed by some of the responses that because you go to a bar you are wishing to still be 21...

when the OP says he wants college life/energy when he goes out it sounds like he is wishing to be 21 again.

Funny thing is I think Charlotte has a nice amount of bars where he can find this energy. Plaza Midwood has a few pubs on Central... the epicenter has tons of chicks on the weekend. Crave, Butter, RePublic, Sound Factory, South Blvd.. University lake on the weekend...

Honestly, it sounds like the OP lacks game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte