Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM

30 posts, read 126,631 times

Advertisements

I know that a lot of folks visit this website attempting to determine whether they should move to any given city. Given that I have been a resident of Charlotte for a year now, I thought I'd provide my two cents on living here, with both the good and the bad from my point of view. Keep in mind that I am a single 33 year old male, so that will be the perspective I'm writing from. If you're, say, a married 45 year old woman with two young children, you may have a different point of view than my own.

I'll talk about the bad stuff first. For young singles, Charlotte is the sort of city where you're going to have to look a little harder for things to do. There aren't a lot of ready-made activities for young people looking to go on fun dates or meet new friends. In New York, there are a million things to do. In DC, you move there and spend the first few months just walking around and looking at all the historical sites, and there will be scores of other people doing the same thing.

In Charlotte, basically you've got a lukewarm bar scene, and not much else. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of history here. It feels sort of like a sleepy Southern town that has been recently refurbished due to all of the banks and corporations relocating down here from the Northeast. So you've got this vibrant downtown area (called Uptown) that seems sort of like Disney World for bankers, and then you've got the rest of Charlotte, which feels older, but not old in the cool, historical way.

Of course, if you were planning on meeting friends and dates through church or a sports team or whatever, you can find that anywhere, including Charlotte. But if you're like me, and you want to live in a cosmopolitan city or college town where you can just walk around and meet people, Charlotte is going to be a bit of a challenge socially.

I live in a part of town called Cotswold, in a complex that I selected because it seemed to have lots of young professionals living there. The only trouble is, all of them are either married or living with their significant other. Every. Single. One. There isn't another truly single person in this complex that I've met so far. So much for meeting eligible ladies here. Again, the bar scene is what I call luke warm. Not a lot of energy, and it's not uncommon to go into a bar on a Friday or Saturday night and find the place only half full. What's even stranger is driving home from the bar on those nights and realizing that the roads are basically clear. This may be because of the way the city is laid out, but it adds to the sense that the people here just aren't going out or doing anything.

Other pet peeves. The heat is pretty bad during the summer, but it seems to be bad everywhere these days. Also, be prepared for what I call the "Charlotte Attitude" to emerge from lots of people. It's sort of a combination of the attitude you'd expect from Northeastern banking types who have way too much money for their own good, and old school Southerners who don't like all these transplants moving into their city. Most Southern cities I've been to are way friendlier than Charlotte.

Okay, that's a lot of bad stuff. Here are a few things I like. It's cheap. It has that Southern, laid back, feeling to it, where people tend to leave the office at 5 and where life isn't taken quite as seriously as in a lot of other big cities. Because there are so many transplants here, you're going to run into a good number of people between 18 and 39, and a good number of them are going to be very attractive and fun, etc. Only trouble is, most of them aren't single.

Look, in this economy, we take what we can get. If you're single, in your 20s or 30s, and the only place you can find a job is in Charlotte, move to Charlotte. But just expect to get creative when it comes to your social life. But if you have a choice between Charlotte and other places, do your research before you make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
If I were a single 33-year old guy, Cotswold would not be high on my list of places to live around Charlotte...especially for someone who wants to walk around and meet people.

South End, parts of Dilworth and Myers Park, South Park or Uptown would be much better, IMO.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
Nice story. I'm also a single 33 year old guy and tend to find the bar/nightlife scene pretty much the total opposite of your experience. Of course, I don't go out like I used to, except when out-of-town friends are visiting, but when I do, I find plenty of dives and some larger bars to check out. Thanks for sharing your personal experience and opinions.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdoxen View Post
I know that a lot of folks visit this website attempting to determine whether they should move to any given city. Given that I have been a resident of Charlotte for a year now, I thought I'd provide my two cents on living here, with both the good and the bad from my point of view. Keep in mind that I am a single 33 year old male, so that will be the perspective I'm writing from. If you're, say, a married 45 year old woman with two young children, you may have a different point of view than my own.

I'll talk about the bad stuff first. For young singles, Charlotte is the sort of city where you're going to have to look a little harder for things to do. There aren't a lot of ready-made activities for young people looking to go on fun dates or meet new friends. In New York, there are a million things to do. In DC, you move there and spend the first few months just walking around and looking at all the historical sites, and there will be scores of other people doing the same thing. Comparing Charlotte to DC or NYC unfavorably with regards to endless nightlife or history is like faulting a Ferrari for not being equipped with a trailer hitch. NYC is one of the largest and most metropolitan cities on the world, and DC is that capital of our country. That being said, pick up a Creative Loafing, and look through it. There's plenty to do, for most people. Honestly, how many places do you really need? A good friend moved here from NYC, and he complains all the time about how little there is to do. He talks about all the world class restaurants, bars, music clubs, museums, on and on and on about NYC. He's been to almost none of them, but still feels we should have more places that he wouldn't go to either.

In Charlotte, basically you've got a lukewarm bar scene, and not much else.There really doesn't seem to be a lot of history here. It feels sort of like a sleepy Southern town that has been recently refurbished due to all of the banks and corporations relocating down here from the Northeast. So you've got this vibrant downtown area (called Uptown) that seems sort of like Disney World for bankers, and then you've got the rest of Charlotte, which feels older, but not old in the cool, historical way. See my comments above.

Of course, if you were planning on meeting friends and dates through church or a sports team or whatever, you can find that anywhere, including Charlotte. But if you're like me, and you want to live in a cosmopolitan city or college town where you can just walk around and meet people, Charlotte is going to be a bit of a challenge socially. As someone else said, you moved to the wrong part of town for that. It exists in numerous areas other than Cotswold.

I live in a part of town called Cotswold, in a complex that I selected because it seemed to have lots of young professionals living there. The only trouble is, all of them are either married or living with their significant other. Every. Single. One. There isn't another truly single person in this complex that I've met so far. So much for meeting eligible ladies here. Again, the bar scene is what I call luke warm. Not a lot of energy, and it's not uncommon to go into a bar on a Friday or Saturday night and find the place only half full. What's even stranger is driving home from the bar on those nights and realizing that the roads are basically clear. This may be because of the way the city is laid out, but it adds to the sense that the people here just aren't going out or doing anything. Maybe the streets seem empty because many of us understand that drinking and driving is a bad thing. There are often license checks, and a DWI would really wreck your social life. Since you're very interested in bars, you may want to consider that. I went through that phase in my early 20's, as did many others. Then many of us got married or are moving towards making a life with our significant others by the time we hit our mid thirties, many even younger than that. Our focus on bars passed. As for the layout, Charlotte is not a booming metropolis that is focused in the city "part" of the city. It sprawls.

Other pet peeves. The heat is pretty bad during the summer, but it seems to be bad everywhere these days. I'm not a fan of the heat either, but fortunately it's really miserable only 2-3 months a year. Most people consider that to be a fair trade for not having to shovel snow for 5 months. Up north, you get both. Deadly heat, and harsh winters. Also, be prepared for what I call the "Charlotte Attitude" to emerge from lots of people. It's sort of a combination of the attitude you'd expect from Northeastern banking types who have way too much money for their own good, and old school Southerners who don't like all these transplants moving into their city. Most Southern cities I've been to are way friendlier than Charlotte. Maybe we have an attitude because people come to our sleepy little southern town and then complain that it's not NYC.

Okay, that's a lot of bad stuff. Here are a few things I like. It's cheap. It has that Southern, laid back, feeling to it, where people tend to leave the office at 5 and where life isn't taken quite as seriously as in a lot of other big cities. Because there are so many transplants here, you're going to run into a good number of people between 18 and 39, and a good number of them are going to be very attractive and fun, etc. Only trouble is, most of them aren't single.

Look, in this economy, we take what we can get. If you're single, in your 20s or 30s, and the only place you can find a job is in Charlotte, move to Charlotte. But just expect to get creative when it comes to your social life. But if you have a choice between Charlotte and other places, do your research before you make a decision.
From a 30 year resident, my opinions are in bold. Just my $.02.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Charlotte to DC or NYC unfavorably with regards to endless nightlife or history is like faulting a Ferrari for not being equipped with a trailer hitch. NYC is one of the largest and most metropolitan cities on the world, and DC is that capital of our country. That being said, pick up a Creative Loafing, and look through it. There's plenty to do, for most people. Honestly, how many places do you really need?

What about Miami? Or San Fran? Or all of the other major cities that have way more to do, way more of a stand-out culture, etc? Are they all "our nation's capital?"

One of the common themes that pro-Charlotte folks tend to voice to we ornery anti-Charlotte folks is that we just have to "look harder" here. But that's kind of my point. I could move to a small town and look hard to find something to do. But a lot of us who have lived in those big, fun cities don't want to have to go all Sherlock Holmes to find what we're looking for. I suppose the logical retort is that we should just move to New York, but just picking up and moving isn't an option for a lot of people.

Maybe the streets seem empty because many of us understand that drinking and driving is a bad thing.

Oh please. You're basically saying that complaining about Charlotte's nightlife is equivalent to being desirous of breaking the law in one of the most socially unacceptable ways. I mean, really, it's like someone trying to end an argument by comparing his opponent to Hitler. Considered very poor form in debate.

Before Charlotte, I spent about a decade and a half living in a) a big, metropolitan city, b) a mid-sized college town, and c) a large, sorta college town. In each of those places, you couldn't go out at 11pm on a weeknight without dealing with the same sort of traffic you'd see at 2pm on a weekday. The only reason I notice the dearth of late night traffic in Charlotte is that this is the first place I've lived where people decide that they turn into pumpkins if they're not inside before 10pm.

I went through that phase in my early 20's, as did many others. Then many of us got married or are moving towards making a life with our significant others by the time we hit our mid thirties, many even younger than that.

Ah, I see. The problem isn't Charlotte, but my lifestyle choices. Everyone chooses to live the kind of life that's right for them. The fact that I chose differently from you isn't your concern, nor pertinent to this discussion.

Maybe we have an attitude because people come to our sleepy little southern town and then complain that it's not NYC.

In that case, you should be glad I wrote this article, as it is sure to dissuade yet greater numbers of transplants, complete with their expectations of having a life, from moving down here (or up here, as it were).

Last edited by keithdoxen; 07-24-2011 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: To add yet another biting retort

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
Quote:
In that case, you should be glad I wrote this article, as it is sure to dissuade yet greater numbers of transplants, complete with their expectations of having a life, from moving down here (or up here, as it were).

LOL wow you are quite powerful, huh? The fact is, it is great to see differing opinions of Charlotte and the social life it offers, and it is great that you decided to play along. Your thread will go with many others that say the opposite, from those that enjoy the different bar/club districts throughout the city, with a place for vitually every social group. It's okay that you are not happy here. There's always Wal Mart to check out! That may be more your speed.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM

181 posts, read 353,726 times
keithdoxen, comparing Charlotte(or any city) to the top 10 cities in the US is unfair,period.

There are a few museums in town that would tell you the history(that we apparently don't have) of this sleepy southern town that has been polished up by northern transplant bankers. If you want to relive your college days move to a college town. Of course you would probably complain that it doesn't have a big city feel. I will agree that Cotswold is a fine area , with many fine women but they are usually married/taken. Therefore it shouldn't be too hard to find out where the singles spots in this small town are. There are more bars uptown/downtown than ever. shouldn't be hard to meet singles.And please give us examples of stuff to do. How many times are you going to the museum? There are enough restaurants here to eat for a year and never eat at a chain. Parks,lakes,pro sports,music venues,ethnic food, dance clubs,punk clubs,yuppie bars, cycling,rafting,arts and hipster parts of town. We even got fancy New York style pizza. What are you looking for?

this comment makes zero sense. only good looking people 18-39 are transplants.?
Because there are so many transplants here, you're going to run into a good number of people between 18 and 39, and a good number of them are going to be very attractive and fun, etc

Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
this comment makes zero sense. only good looking people 18-39 are transplants.?
Because there are so many transplants here, you're going to run into a good number of people between 18 and 39, and a good number of them are going to be very attractive and fun, etc
I was implying that a city with lots of transplants tends to skew youngish, because transplants are often individuals who are highly mobile, without things like spouses, kids, and mortgages to tie them down.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
First of all, don't twist up the words of another poster to suit your agenda. I said exactly what I meant. There's another poster here whose opinion carries little respect because it's often based on misinterpretation and obfuscation of other's words.

My replies are in bold, again.
Quote:
Charlotte to DC or NYC unfavorably with regards to endless nightlife or history is like faulting a Ferrari for not being equipped with a trailer hitch. NYC is one of the largest and most metropolitan cities on the world, and DC is that capital of our country. That being said, pick up a Creative Loafing, and look through it. There's plenty to do, for most people. Honestly, how many places do you really need?

What about Miami? Or San Fran? Or all of the other major cities that have way more to do, way more of a stand-out culture, etc? Are they all "our nation's capital?" Charlotte doesn't claim to be like any of those cities, or Hong Kong, London, Monaco, Sidney, Tokyo, or any other horrendously expensive top tier city of the world. Obviously I wasn't suggesting they're capitals. Maybe you missed me referring to NYC as one of the most metropolitan cities in the world. Why ignore that part of my comments? That's not what Charlotte is about.

One of the common themes that pro-Charlotte folks tend to voice to we ornery anti-Charlotte folks is that we just have to "look harder" here. But that's kind of my point. I could move to a small town and look hard to find something to do. But a lot of us who have lived in those big, fun cities don't want to have to go all Sherlock Holmes to find what we're looking for. I suppose the logical retort is that we should just move to New York, but just picking up and moving isn't an option for a lot of people. I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to find enough bars here. Really, I am. Locals seem to find them OK, but it helps to not expect entire blocks of bars in one area. Unfortunately, we're not a big fun city.

Maybe the streets seem empty because many of us understand that drinking and driving is a bad thing.

Oh please. You're basically saying that complaining about Charlotte's nightlife is equivalent to being desirous of breaking the law in one of the most socially unacceptable ways. I mean, really, it's like someone trying to end an argument by comparing his opponent to Hitler. Considered very poor form in debate. I basically said exactly what I meant to say. No need for wild exaggerations, which in a true debate would never happen.

Maybe the streets are empty because instead of driving around, we're already where we want to party.

Before Charlotte, I spent about a decade and a half living in a) a big, metropolitan city, b) a mid-sized college town, and c) a large, sorta college town. In each of those places, you couldn't go out at 11pm on a weeknight without dealing with the same sort of traffic you'd see at 2pm on a weekday. The only reason I notice the dearth of late night traffic in Charlotte is that this is the first place I've lived where people decide that they turn into pumpkins if they're not inside before 10pm. Again, I'm very sorry there's not enough traffic here for you. Most people like that about Charlotte. Have you been to all the major areas of Charlotte to see if it's like this everywhere?

BTW-we're not any of those types of places you listed.
Many people would say we can't figure out what we want to be.

I went through that phase in my early 20's, as did many others. Then many of us got married or are moving towards making a life with our significant others by the time we hit our mid thirties, many even younger than that.

Ah, I see. The problem isn't Charlotte, but my lifestyle choices. Everyone chooses to live the kind of life that's right for them. The fact that I chose differently from you isn't your concern, nor pertinent to this discussion. The reality is that there are fewer single barhoppers (and people in general) in their 30's than there are in their 20's. I've been in bars and clubs in probably 50 cities in 10 major countries, and while it wasn't my focus, that is my observation. If one chooses to follow a different, less-conventional path in life, one's choices become more limited.

Just wait a while. Half of those married people will be divorced before long. Then they'll be back in the party pool again.

Maybe we have an attitude because people come to our sleepy little southern town and then complain that it's not NYC.

In that case, you should be glad I wrote this article, as it is sure to dissuade yet greater numbers of transplants, complete with their expectations of having a life, from moving down here (or up here, as it were). You'd be doing them a service, because if they think that Charlotte is supposed to be like NYC or one of the other cities listed here, they'll be very disappointed.

I've had expectations of having a life for a while. Maybe this explains why I haven't found one.
I'm not busting on you in particular. But my Ferrari analogy is apropo. You can't fault something for not being something it never claimed to be. That's like going to Appleby's and expecting a Morton's-quality meal, then complaining that your microwaved mac and cheese wasn't up to par.

EDIT-population density explains much of this. NYC's is ten times what Charlotte's is. San Fran is 5 times ours, Miami Beach, Chicago and Boston are more than 4 times ours.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 07-24-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
There's always Wal Mart to check out! That may be more your speed.
Dude, that comeback doesn't even make sense given that I've spent this whole post complaining about sleepy Southern town sensibilities, and what's WalMart other than a hallmark of a sleepy town? A much better, snarkier comeback would have been to rip on my seeming haughtiness or too-good-for-sleepy-Southern-towns attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte