Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

Hi...My wife and I are moving to the Denver area. Can anyone give any advise and or info, good and bad, about the area concerning crime, real estate and employment. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,696,457 times
mod note
thread relocated from North Carolina
forum

Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM

353 posts, read 998,890 times
Hi!

We love Denver!

Crime here is what you'd expect anywhere for a town this size. With the crappy economy, things like robbery and home burglary have escalated, but that's probably true for most areas. If you're diligent and alert, you can mitigate it.

Employment in the Charlotte area is depressed, but not as depressed as some other parts of the country. That said, I would not move here, or ANYwhere, without securing a job. I think you'll find that that's the prevailing attitude on this message board.

My husband works uptown, and I would imagine many of the folks here work in Charlotte. If that's your plan, the commute isn't bad, and it's relatively smooth compared to other locations/suburbs. My husband happens to drive 10 minutes into Huntersville and takes the bus uptown. His bus pass every month is $75, and when you consider the gas we're saving plus the cost to park in a lot uptown, it's a great deal.

If you've got the money, NOW is the time to buy. Real estate values are pretty darn low, and many of the homes in my subdivision cannot be sold because sellers cannot compete with the brand new homes being built for MUCH less.

As far as price point, Denver runs the gambit. Homes in my subdivision are in the $175K to $225K range. If you head toward the lake (for example, to the subdivision called Sailview) you're looking at homes in the 1 Million + range.

Taxes are pretty low here, especially when compared to Mecklenburg County.

If kids are in your future, the schools are very good here, although I have heard good and bad about the middle school. However, we're growing so fast, and the middle school is so far away, I wouldn't be surprised if a new middle school was in the works in the coming years.

There is a WalMart, drug stores and grocery stores aplenty, and even some very decent non-chain restaurants locally.

If you choose to live on the north side of Denver (closer to Hwy 150) you'll be close to Mooresville if you need to stretch your legs. If you choose the south side (closer to Hwy 73) you're close to Huntersville, and there's a ton there as well.

Finally, they just expanded Hwy 16 ("New 16") which will be completely finished and opened in the coming weeks, making travel to Hickory that much better. And there is LOTS in Hickory (even employment, I'd guess, if you don't mind the commute).

Good luck, and welcome to Denver "of the east"!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM

386 posts, read 1,368,174 times
UNCMetsGal gave a very good summary. We just moved to Denver from Sherrills Ford. Denver is growing and there is the camp that believes this is good thing while others want it to stay the way it is. That may be the biggest controversy the area has. People are very friendly and you are close to the airport, uptown Charlotte, Huntersville & even Mooresville. I know a few people who have moved here b/c the taxes are lower than the surrounding areas. If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,733 times
Thanks for all your input! much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte