Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times

Advertisements

No need to donate any more of my resources. They have plenty now and will have plenty more come tax time. While you worked as a teacher for a year, I would not say you are qualified to tell us about the supposed challenges of running a growing school system. The top level CMS employees are supposed to know what they are doing in order to justify their six-figure salaries. Instead, they seem to have no answers even though we all can see what is going wrong, and consistently preach gloom and despair if they don't get more money each year. Perhaps some of those economics teachers could set up a few tutoring sessions with the school board and top administrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Individually, at the school level, we have had nothing but great experiences. Most teachers in CMS are giving 120%. The issue I have is with how the budget is being portrayed throughout the year. Either there is a severe crisis or there is a ton of extra $$. I honestly don't know what to believe.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Agreed. This isn't about the teachers so please don't obfuscate the issue.

The issue is they lied about being $100,000,000 short, got a tax increase, and now we discover it wasn't true.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It wasn't but a short while ago that they were talking of getting rid of sports......no money, no money...

But now they are adding yet another sport.

CMS to add cricket to PE curriculum to 2011-2012 | Sports & Recreation | Center City News

The sports that they were planning to eliminate were middle school extracurricular sports - ie, the school teams that compete against each other. At this time they have approved 4 middle school sports for next year and supposedly if they "get the money" they will bring the rest back as well. This article refers to getting free equipment, etc. to add teaching cricket in the PE classes, after-school programs (which I'm not reading as "extracurricular teams"). So they aren't adding another sport - just something else to teach in elementary and middle school PE which wasn't what they were talking about eliminating.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
No need to donate any more of my resources. They have plenty now and will have plenty more come tax time. While you worked as a teacher for a year, I would not say you are qualified to tell us about the supposed challenges of running a growing school system. The top level CMS employees are supposed to know what they are doing in order to justify their six-figure salaries. Instead, they seem to have no answers even though we all can see what is going wrong, and consistently preach gloom and despair if they don't get more money each year. Perhaps some of those economics teachers could set up a few tutoring sessions with the school board and top administrators.

The school system could use your "genius" to solve those problems since "you know whats wrong" (donate your genius). Yep, degrading the credentials and experience of top-level administration is the kind of support that is needed to move forward. I criticize many decisions but slamming the admin for stressing and preparing for the worst-case scenario ain't one. I guess some of you have a crystal ball, so traditional economic theory doesn't apply. UNC public universities did the same thing, prepared for massive cuts, upwards of 15 to 20%.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
CMS didn't snooker anyone. It is the people who read and believe everything in the Charlotte Disturber. If they can find one comment, they make a bogus or misleading story about it. Taking what the Disturber says is like using Wikipedia for facts. My paper is about 10 pages thick so they are just looking for something to get more news.

Please stop posting stories from the Observer unless you really know the facts. Show up at a board meeting. Go to a City Council meeting.

GET INVOLVED IN THE COMMUNITY

Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
CMS didn't snooker anyone. It is the people who read and believe everything in the Charlotte Disturber. If they can find one comment, they make a bogus or misleading story about it. Taking what the Disturber says is like using Wikipedia for facts. My paper is about 10 pages thick so they are just looking for something to get more news.

Please stop posting stories from the Observer unless you really know the facts. Show up at a board meeting. Go to a City Council meeting.

True. All districts were instructed to prepare multiple budgets. This was documented, over time, in the Shelby Star. Cleveland & Lincoln Counties were given worst case scenario budgets. CMS wasn't. This is a more measured article. Rich schools, poor schools: N.C.'s gap may be growing | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/20/2391717/rich-schools-poor-schools-ncs.html#storylink=misearch - broken link)

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post

You did not even read the article. You are just talking......after you read the article pick up the phone and call Pendergraph and talk to him about it. You will get further.

If you are so small minded to think that everyone in this community bases their thoughts on something the CO writes and perhaps not their own experience in their child's school well then that is your own bias.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
the whole article revolves around one quote... yet you conclude that CMS is the party to blame?

The quote:

"Pendergraph says school leaders knew about the additional state money before the commissioners voted; school board members have denied that."

Furthermore, there are multiple paragraphs explaining how the budgets are set... all of which seem to support CMS' explanation. Yet because Pendergraph *says* differently?!? Show me some proof!!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
the whole article revolves around one quote... yet you conclude that CMS is the party to blame?

The quote:

"Pendergraph says school leaders knew about the additional state money before the commissioners voted; school board members have denied that."

Furthermore, there are multiple paragraphs explaining how the budgets are set... all of which seem to support CMS' explanation. Yet because Pendergraph *says* differently?!? Show me some proof!!

This has long been a topic on CD with quote after quote, article after article. Feel free to do a search. I don't owe you any proof, do your own research should you choose to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte