Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

CMS was less than honest? Imagine that!

CMS leaves county leaders feeling 'snookered' | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Well I'm happy they are hiring more teachers. Don't forget that the year before this one, they DID have cutbacks and class sizes ballooned. In my opinion, education is society's most important function, so it's good we are back to where we were. CMS never hid the fact that the budget outlook was a worst case scenario.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Teach the children well...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Well I'm happy they are hiring more teachers. Don't forget that the year before this one, they DID have cutbacks and class sizes ballooned. In my opinion, education is society's most important function, so it's good we are back to where we were. CMS never hid the fact that the budget outlook was a worst case scenario.
Under gorman CMS toyed with this community and the Board of Commisioners, it was a whole lot of crying wolf.

I hope that whoever replaces gorman, does what is right and best for the school system. The whole system needs a complete breakdown and over haul.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
When will these people understand that cost does not always equal quality?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Problem with crying wolf is credibility is lost. I no longer believe that there is any kind of budget issues with CMS. Not when year after year they cry about lay offs and then suddenly there is money and new hirings.

Good luck getting private funding. At some point companies will also wonder what the real state of CMS is and stop making the donations.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
It's simply lying to the people. In any other enterprise, they would be putting people in jail for having claimed the things that CMS and Gorman did in regards to funding. Gorman specifically said on the record that CMS was $100M in the hole and they would have to lay off 1800 students, cut out sports, and a whole host of another things. Now all of a sudden it's "never mind" and they now have the money to hire 500 teachers on top of what they have.

Of course he is no longer accountable for this shake down of the taxpayers because while he is still getting a CMS salary, he is no longer available to the public. He is headed off to his new luxury job at News Corp. There is nothing that can be done about this leech. But you people can do something by voting out Jenifer Roberts who made this possible by raising the property taxes, and the entire CMS school board.

I also blame the damned Charlotte mainstream media who loves to parrot the official position of these people without question. It's quite hypocritical now for them to try and call them out on the damage done to the taxpayers. The Observer likes to blame the Internet for its demise, but it's because they are not doing their job as journalists which is the real reason.

Will you guys do this? No. And thus, you get the gubment you deserve.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM

It wasn't but a short while ago that they were talking of getting rid of sports......no money, no money...

But now they are adding yet another sport.

CMS to add cricket to PE curriculum to 2011-2012 | Sports & Recreation | Center City News

Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
I worked in the school system (teacher for a year). I highly doubt he was lying...I wish some of these know-it-alls...quick-fix-its would dedicate some of their time and resources to improving the public school system (don't give me that I pay my taxes junk) and to see what is really going on. Most of the teachers are giving 120%.

Standing on the sideline and spewing CO articles ain't gonna cut it. Go experience it, see the challenges of managing a fast-growing school system. At least he was smart of enough to ERR on the side of the worst-case scenario. Who the hell new what the budget numbers were gonna be? That man ain't a soothwayer. Imagine the opposite case, some of you would've asked for his head...including parents with 35-40 kids in a class (or more trailers). Anything beyond 20-25 students in a class with one teacher is beyond manageable.

Hell, I wish other admins would do the same; managing, teaching and participating in a public school system ain't for the faint of heart, it's a serious day-to-day challenge, even in the best of schools.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I worked in the school system (teacher for a year). I highly doubt he was lying...I wish some of these know-it-alls...quick-fix-its would dedicate some of their time and resources to improving the public school system (don't give me that I pay my taxes junk) and to see what is really going on. Most of the teachers are giving 120%.

Standing on the sideline and spewing CO articles ain't gonna cut it. Go experience it, see the challenges of managing a fast-growing school system. At least he was smart of enough to ERR on the side of the worst-case scenario. Who the hell new what the budget numbers were gonna be? That man ain't a soothwayer. Imagine the opposite case, some of you would've asked for his head...including parents with 35-40 kids in a class (or more trailers). Anything beyond 20-25 students in a class with one teacher is beyond manageable.

Hell, I wish other admins would do the same; managing, teaching and participating in a public school system ain't for the faint of heart, it's a serious day-to-day challenge, even in the best of schools.

This is not about the teachers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte