Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 10,843 times

Advertisements

Here is my dilemma. We are being transferred to SW Charlotte not far from the southern 485 / 77 interchange but my wifes sister lives in Mooresville. Are there any communities that can provide us with good middle and high schools and a decent drive/commute to both locations? Our housing price range would be around 250k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
....Are there any communities that can provide us with good middle and high schools and a decent drive/commute to both locations? ...
No.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quite a few miles between the two.....you might be better off nearer job as that is daily travel, while traveling to sister's place less frequent. And 77 traffic is terrible around rush hours, of course.

Quote:
Here is my dilemma. We are being transferred to SW Charlotte not far from the southern 485 / 77 interchange but my wifes sister lives in Mooresville. Are there any communities that can provide us with good middle and high schools and a decent drive/commute to both locations? Our housing price range would be around 250k.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,445 times
I agree, basically, with the response of "No". The best thing to do would be to live NEAR an expressway so that you don't spend 20 minutes getting to 77/485 and then having to drive the 45+ minutes to Mooresville...then to the SIL.

Stay in Charlotte near your job, and compromise with your wife by finding a home with great schools and great access to the expressway. That is about the best route you can take.

Taben

Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM

I am thinking Fort Mill SC area may be my best bet and Ill just have to live with the 1 hour + drive up to Mooresville. It appears Fort Mills has better schools and real estate prices than the Charlotte area.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,980 times
Mooresville and Charlotte is 30 miles apart. Why could they not live in Huntersville? Are the schools crappy?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
Quote:
I am thinking Fort Mill SC area may be my best bet and Ill just have to live with the 1 hour + drive up to Mooresville. It appears Fort Mills has better schools and real estate prices than the Charlotte area.
If you don't visit the sister-in-law that much, then it should be ok, but realize that if you take I-485 to get from Ft. Mill to Mooresville, you are talking about a 103 mile round trip and much of that is on highway that is overloaded, under-construction, and subject to vast delays at time.

There isn't a good way to completely fix this but my recommendation since you said you will be working in SW Charlotte is to get a place in Huntersville near Exit 23. From there it's not difficult to get to I-485 and that is a straight shot to SW Charlotte. It's also only about 15 miles to anywhere in Mooresville so you will get to see the relations much more often. There are also many nice neighborhoods in Huntersville in your price range and as a bonus you would be near Lake Norman which, if you get a boat or jet ski, will provide lots of spring, summer and fall activities. It's low crime and there are a lot of options for schools.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

17 posts, read 33,423 times
Default Soical Clubs in Charlotte area?

Last edited by dogo; 08-09-2011 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: wrong place

Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 AM

488 posts, read 799,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Mooresville and Charlotte is 30 miles apart. Why could they not live in Huntersville? Are the schools crappy?
No Huntersville schools are great but to drive to SW Charlotte is horrific - I know, my husband does it every day and it SUCKS.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
No Huntersville schools are great but to drive to SW Charlotte is horrific - I know, my husband does it every day and it SUCKS.
So if you could do it again knowing what you now what city would you now move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte