Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,291,021 times

Advertisements

There is apparently a proposal to extend the HOV lanes on I-77 North to Exit 28. Thus, there will be 6 lanes on this highway where right now it drops to 4 lanes just north of I-485. I'm guessing this is about 9 more miles of additional lanes.

How they plan to pay for it is to change the HOV lane to a Toll lane. Anyone could drive in this lane if they pay the toll. People with passengers and buses would continue to drive for free. In other parts of the country they refer to these pay for HOV lanes as "Lexus Lanes". It would run from 5th street to exit 28.

Leaders: I-77 expanding with toll lanes will happen this decade | Huntersville Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,630,166 times
I'm sure that lots of people disagree with turning that lane into a HOT lane but as often as I have seen it empty, is it really a bad thing?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,868,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm sure that lots of people disagree with turning that lane into a HOT lane but as often as I have seen it empty, is it really a bad thing?
They could stretch the damn things to the Virginia state line, if the Highway Patrol would bust the people violating the law now, rather than screwing with "speeders", during morning rush hour.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,338,507 times
How has it worked out in other cities? I think it is ridiculous to maintain empty lanes for 2+ occupied vehicles that apparently don't exist, and the enticement of an empty lane is not enough to get people to carpool or double up. But if people can pay a toll to use the lanes, that could make all traffic move faster, so the paying customers in the HOV lanes will look over and see the free lanes moving just as fast as they are!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 36,487 times
Im always alone anyway! But it is kinda bull though.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It's certainly a better plan than spending $400M+ to roll a few used Amtrack locomotives which they are calling commuter rail.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM

292 posts, read 672,379 times
Not sure I would want to pay a toll just to get stuck behind a CATS bus. The times I do use the HOV lane I usually come up on some slow poke or a bus. I'll stick to my normal lanes. It would be cool if other people paid and used that lane though. It would free up the others.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,974,623 times
Its not going to make any appreciable difference.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,992,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
Not sure I would want to pay a toll just to get stuck behind a CATS bus. The times I do use the HOV lane I usually come up on some slow poke or a bus. I'll stick to my normal lanes. It would be cool if other people paid and used that lane though. It would free up the others.
Thats why I almost NEVER use an HOV lane, way to many slow pokes. If your going to drive in that lane, dont go slow! I-77 in Charlotte has some HOV lanes, but they allow you to go in and out of it most of the time.

In CT, we had HOV lanes on I-91. During heavy traffic, that lane was always moving faster then the 4 lanes of regular traffic. It had ramps to the major exits that flew over the highway. The lane as free, and you needed atleast 2 people to ride in it.

I have yet to see what they have in Toronto anywhere else. There is a express side, and a local side, and each side has atleast 4 lanes each. On the express side, they warn you MILES in advance for the next exit. It gives you several chances to merge into the other side of the highway. For example, if im at mile (km up there) marker 200, there will be a huge sign saying to move over for exits 205 207 and 210 in 1 mile. It usually gives you a few chances to do so.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:04 AM

338 posts, read 797,151 times
Seattle has a similar type system where they have separate extra lanes in the middle that they adjust direction for the different times of the day for heaviest traffic.

Toronto 401 express lanes are great when there is no traffic on it, but these days it's bumper to bumper, takes forever to cross the city on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte