Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
I didn't mean for this to turn into a bagel conversation, lol. Food is just a small part of relocating - so i figured its the little things like that - that can end up making differences in day to day life (like trying to find a good italian place of chinese food place).

I guess there must be something to Charlotte judging by conversations with people who have moved down there. I'm sure the grass is always greener attitude should be realistic...but from what I hear it does sound like a considerably cheaper quality of life down there compared to nassau county. I'm just tired of the rat race and paycheck to paycheck living. I feel like if I sell my house up here and move there with a 60k job I should be in good shape with no mortgage to worry about. We'd plan to hook up with a church so I'm hoping some solid relationships could be built as we would be away from most family/friends up here.

Again ... any input is helpful. Thanks for your time!
Okay, all food talk aside, after moving here from Chicago (and currently looking into a possible relocation to east coast for a career change), I've found that while housing prices and property taxes are MUCH cheaper here, most other things are about the same cost.

We've found that heating is cheaper, but we make up for the savings having to use the a/c more. No toll roads, but spend a little more on the car taxes. Work/airport commutes are shorter, but here we're more likely to drive further to a restaurant/store since not everything is in one spot or walkable.

For me, the cheaper housing costs alone make living here worthwhile even if not a dime is saved elsewhere. You could buy a nice house here and literally fly to NY once a month for food/family/whatever and still come out well ahead.

It is a different lifestyle, with less walkability and a slower pace. It is very nice to be able to just drive somewhere without it always being a traffic nightmare though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That's because neighborhoods here are less segregated by income. I prefer it that way.
So you prefer to have crime be everywhere instead of where you can avoid it? I dont understand...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
So you prefer to have crime be everywhere instead of where you can avoid it? I dont understand...
Just because a person within 1 mile of my house got shot over a drug deal gone bad doesn't mean that I am unsafe. Most of these "crimes" are criminals acting out with other criminals. Random acts of violence is not a common thing in Charlotte. Perfect example. How many areas of Charlotte have bars on the first floor windows? There is a reason for that "up north" ya know...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
I didn't mean for this to turn into a bagel conversation, lol. Food is just a small part of relocating - so i figured its the little things like that - that can end up making differences in day to day life (like trying to find a good italian place of chinese food place).

I guess there must be something to Charlotte judging by conversations with people who have moved down there. I'm sure the grass is always greener attitude should be realistic...but from what I hear it does sound like a considerably cheaper quality of life down there compared to nassau county. I'm just tired of the rat race and paycheck to paycheck living. I feel like if I sell my house up here and move there with a 60k job I should be in good shape with no mortgage to worry about. We'd plan to hook up with a church so I'm hoping some solid relationships could be built as we would be away from most family/friends up here.

Again ... any input is helpful. Thanks for your time!
You really should not even consider relocating anywhere before visiting it yourself. Some of the questions you ask show that you know virtually nothing about the area--yet are thinking about relocating there just because "somebody" told you to? I can't fathom seriuosly thinking about moving anywhere until I had looked around with my own as for what fits ME, not what fits my friends.

Take a long weekend and come see Charlotte for yourself. Nobody will be able to describe things like "what are the neighborhoods like?" as well as driving through them yourself can do. Then you'd either feel more comfortable about your impending move, or decide that it's not for you and think about looking elsewhere. So, so many people from your area flocked down here like lemmings based on a few people's "advice", then got here and realized it wasn't for them and they were stuck. Moving to another state is a major endeavor and you really want to feel confident that YOU want to be in Charlotte and don't necessairly do something just because "everybody says..." As my mother used to say, "If everybody jumped in a fire...??"

Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Just because a person within 1 mile of my house got shot over a drug deal gone bad doesn't mean that I am unsafe. Most of these "crimes" are criminals acting out with other criminals. Random acts of violence is not a common thing in Charlotte. Perfect example. How many areas of Charlotte have bars on the first floor windows? There is a reason for that "up north" ya know...
Yea, bars are around up north ..only in BAD areas. Random acts of violence are not common here, but they sure are more common than up north.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM

52 posts, read 63,030 times
I wouldn't think of moving until I've visited repeatedly and everything lined up. I obviously dint know anything about the area...hence my questions. There is no harm in asking people in open forums for advice, ask questions and get other people to share their experiences.

Thanks again all!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Yea, bars are around up north ..only in BAD areas.
And there are no areas in Charlotte (good or bad) where people have to literally live behind bars.
Quote:
Random acts of violence are not common here, but they sure are more common than up north.
Oh please. You've already stated your reasons as to why you can't wait to leave Charlotte (and it had NOTHING to do with crime).

Quote:
Family and friends

Weather
Weather
Weather

I miss a real winter believe it or not..I miss being able to actually DO things outside in summer. I miss the crisp New England fall days.

I do not miss spring up north ..spring here is fabulous

No work options ..if I ever lost my job here,I have no network here..My job is based in CT and believe it or not I miss the office environment..nutty but true

Just don't feel home here...people are different, its just not New England.

NY Post ..

I could go on

I will miss how cheap housing is though...no denying that but money isnt everything in life.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post20682947

Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
And there are no areas in Charlotte (good or bad) where people have to literally live behind bars.
Oh please. You've already stated your reasons as to why you can't wait to leave Charlotte (and it had NOTHING to do with crime).

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post20682947
What are you trying to say? You lost me...when did I EVER say crime was the reason I want to leave here..there are PLENTY of better reasons than that!

But if you think there is more crime up north than here...then you obviously don't look at the facts...but hell facts just muddle everything up right? Crime is everywhere!! I dont deny that. But here it seems to seep into "good " areas more than up north...I don't know how you can even argue this.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,288 times
After reading all of this, are you still interested in moving here?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Quote:
I like your view, and I enjoy the diversity of Charlotte as well (though definitely not the crime - it is everywhere), but your sentence above is simply not true. There are many places in Charlotte with barred up houses and businesses. Maybe you just don't notice them, but they are all over - S. Blvd, West Blvd, Independence, N. Charlotte, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte