Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM

197 posts, read 479,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The course is a breeze. Ruger has some great carry options you may like.
I like Ruger. I have to get back to Eagle Guns in Concord and see what they have. Support my local business. Buy my ammo and weapons there. Also, there indoor range is quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,544 times
Open carry vs CCW - Keep the bad guys guessing. Open carrier - first target by a bad guy when crime is being committed - IMHO and don't shoot the messenger in this case :-)

Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Open carry vs CCW - Keep the bad guys guessing. Open carrier - first target by a bad guy when crime is being committed - IMHO and don't shoot the messenger in this case :-)
or bad guy sees open carrier and decides not to commit the crime.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM

763 posts, read 822,098 times
I have a concealed carry permit. It is legal to carry a gun in a vehicle that was in clear sight. An example would be hunters carrying guns in the back window of their pick-ups. A pistol, although legal, could cause some problems when a cop pulls one over and sees the gun. He will immediately jump to the defensive/offensive mode and ask you to place you hands on the steering wheel as he moves it to what he considers a safe place. Count on being asked questions on why you have the gun, etc. And, you can count on being checked on sight for felonies.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM

763 posts, read 822,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Because of cops who abuse their power.
Are you saying that people carry weapons to protect themselves from cops? I personally hope you aren't.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM

197 posts, read 479,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Are you saying that people carry weapons to protect themselves from cops? I personally hope you aren't.
LOL no. I do however defend my rights to the fullest. I don't allow unwarranted search or seizures of my person or property. I'm not a criminal and hate being treated as such from law enforcement.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
I have a concealed carry permit. It is legal to carry a gun in a vehicle that was in clear sight. An example would be hunters carrying guns in the back window of their pick-ups. A pistol, although legal, could cause some problems when a cop pulls one over and sees the gun. He will immediately jump to the defensive/offensive mode and ask you to place you hands on the steering wheel as he moves it to what he considers a safe place. Count on being asked questions on why you have the gun, etc. And, you can count on being checked on sight for felonies.
Anyone who openly carries in the car should know to keep their hands visible at all times, such as on the steering wheel, and tell the officer that there is a gun in the car, and where it is. To do otherwise is inviting problems. Be smart.

I've been pulled over several times, did exactly what I suggest above, and never had any problems. You can assume you will be checked for wants/warrants/felonies if you're pulled over. I don't have a problem with this.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 AM

40 posts, read 88,928 times
Quote:
In North Carolina...

If you have a CHP it is legal to carry a handgun anywhere on your person. Examples in your car would be -- under the seat, in the glove box, console etc. You may also carry it on your person. You can carry it hidden anywhere. There are certain places you are not allowed to carry. Examples would be where alcohol is sold and consumed, state properties, parades, schools. NC is a must inform state. When approached by a police officer you must inform the officer you have a CHP and present your permit and drivers license.

If you don't have a CHP you must keep the handgun in plain sight. It is unlawful to transport a handgun that is both concealed and accessible. Open carrying a handgun on your person is legal as long as it is not covered.

Regardless of whether you have a CHP or not, and are carrying a handgun either openly or concealed, if you are stopped by law enforcement you should put both hands on the wheel and not move them until told to do so. When you hand over your drivers license, you must also hand over your CHP.

As a general rule LEO's don't jump into a defensive role just because you are carrying a handgun either openly or concealed. To be sure there are LEO's that are uninformed of the law. But generally if you follow the law and present yourself in a professional manner they will too.

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx

Last edited by lwh1961; 10-07-2011 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Posting link to NC Firearms Laws.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
Quote:
A pistol, although legal, could cause some problems when a cop pulls one over and sees the gun. He will immediately jump to the defensive/offensive mode and ask you to place you hands on the steering wheel as he moves it to what he considers a safe place. Count on being asked questions on why you have the gun, etc. And, you can count on being checked on sight for felonies.

All of this has been inaccurate in my dealings with law enforcement. As a matter of fact, several LEOs that I spoke with prior to my daily OC'ing were heavily in favor of me OC'ing. I've talked with several officers in other areas of town while carrying and not one of them has even asked to see my driver's license, much less run my name for warrants. I feel like this is something you were told in a CHP class and have no actual experience first hand.

lwh said it best, I think. If you don't act like an idiot, you have nothing to worry about and neither does the cop.

As for carrying to protect yourself from police.....not buying it. If you have that attitude, you are probably doing something wrong. Do I think all cops are true professionals? No. I'm not an idiot. Do I think there are enough of them to carry to protect myself from them? Absolutely not. And I really have a hard time believing that a gun will provide any protection to begin with. And, do tell, what situation would you find yourself using a firearm to protect yourself from the police?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
Stella, I will also say that many open carriers will take the time to answer questions regarding open carry, concealed carry, laws and regulations and more if someone asks a question. If someone wants to stand there and be frightened by the presence of a firearm, they have bought into everything the media and other groups have said about firearms, much of which is complete nonsense. Those are the people who think guns "just go off" and think no one but criminals carry. I carry because there are criminals out there who will try to cause harm to me for no other reason that me being there. Many may be content with being a victim. I am at least going to have a choice to fight back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte