Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,340,438 times

Advertisements

Before I start my research thought I would ask here. Is the airport the cheapest place to rent a car around here or are there other cheaper alternatives? My mother will be visiting and I will pick her up at the airport, but some time into the visit she will need to rent a car, so... do we go back to the airport or is there a closer place to go (Huntersville) or do we call Enterprise or some other company and have them deliver the car to my house and which option is cheapest? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,811,530 times
The airport is the most expensive place to rent a car - you are paying for the convenience, so avoid if possible. I ran a random set of days in October and Economy cars were averaging an extra $10/day at the airport versus the University area and the margin can get larger for bigger cars.

It takes about 60 seconds to compare prices when you search on the major travel sites (Travelocity, Expedia, etc) and those sites normally provide the best pricing, unless you have a discount code. On occasion, I've used codes from The Entertainment Book to score slightly better deals.

As far as which rental company is cheapest, you'll just have to plug in your dates to find-out, as it fluctuates all the time.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 AM

16 posts, read 22,898 times
Default Avoid the airport

If at all possible avoid the traffic due to what the previous poster said higher rates. But more importantly the taxes are alot more when you rent @ the airport. Gotta pay for all that expansion.

Off the airport its probably a toss up between thrifty and enterprise.

Good luck

Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM

407 posts, read 852,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
do we go back to the airport or is there a closer place to go (Huntersville) or do we call Enterprise or some other company
Quick check of the Enterprise web site. Standard size car for 1 week approx $115 more at airport vs locations in Huntersville or Cornelius.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,340,438 times
Thank you! You definitely got me motivated.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 AM

388 posts, read 617,544 times
Probably its late in the day for this info. But just wanted to leave it on here incase someone else came looking for cheaper options.

I used to rent from Enterprise on JM Keynes Blvd. On Friday's (Check if its all day or only evenings) they used to have have a $19.99/day rental...These rates are a year old. Good people, fantastic service.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,673,853 times
Budget is the best IMO... I tried Enterprise one time and they scheduled me for a 12 PM pick up time... unfortunately they closed at 12 PM on Saturday...

Budget is the best for me because they have unlimited out of state miles.

I never rent from the airport unless I'm flying.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,365,538 times
Anyone know exactly how many more taxes they charge at the airport locations? I know it might be more than the other locations but I always figured all rental cars have crazy taxes. With my corporate rate I can usually get a significantly cheaper rate at the airport than the other locations (around $35-$40 difference for a 3-day rental), but not sure how much I'm saving if any after additional taxes and if I pay for parking. Do many of the other places let you park your car there when renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte