Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 AM

170 posts, read 644,154 times

Advertisements

I live in The Point, so I can speak to all of it.

Like everyone says, traffic is bad on Brawley School Road...really in the morning, and in the evening...work/school traffic-- ONLY during the school year, really. Summers are fine. If you can avoid those hours, on the road, it's fine. That's what I do.

The homes here are continuining to appreciate, at a good clip, for that matter. Though the re-sale market has slowed some here, now. It's just taking longer to sell homes, though the prices are still good for those selling.

The amentities are WONDERFUL! You do not "automatically" get to use them, you must join the Country Club...that said, every homeowner-- at the minimum has to join as a social member, then there are other levels of membership from there, up.

There are a TON of kids here...more families then, say retired people.

Boat traffic in the summer, is not even an issue, in fact it's great, you can pull your boat right up to the Club, tie up, walk in, eat or go to the pool, if you'd like .The only thing is you need to make sure that if you are either buying a newly constructed house or a re-sale, that the home has a deeded boat slip with them, otherwise you will have no guarantee that you will get one, chances are good, you will not. The Point does not have enough boat slips for every home in the community.

The closest malls are Birkdale at exit 28, then the NorthLake Mall at exit 18 or north to the Statesville Mall...but in Mooresville proper, you have a great number of stores, TJMaxx, Ross, Kohls, Super WalMart, Super Target, Old Navy, Belk Department Store, plus numerous small shops/newer botiques, free standing shoe stores, etc. Shopping here is really pretty good...

Depending on the Lake Norman area you are looking at, Mooresville? Huntersville? Davidson? There are SO many more subdivisions to look at as well...if you tell me where you are looking (what towns) I can suggest quite a few...

Schools here are great as well...in fact we have many people that move here-- just for the schools. I choose this location for 1) the schools and 2) the boat access-- we had a boat before we moved here. The schools are overcrowded, but so is every other school in the Charlotte area. We just had a new school built 2yrs ago-- Woodland Heights Elementary, it's AWESOME! I'm very happy with the schools here.

I love it here, but I chose to live here. I must say there are SO many nice neibghborhoods on or around the Lake Norman area...I love living in Lake Norman, wouldn't live anywhere else in the greater Charlotte area.

OH and the one other thing "I" love--the taxes! Taxes are almost half as much as those of Mecklenburg County...so that's HUGE! For my family it was big...

If you'd like anymore information, just ask...good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 62,136 times
We were originally looking at buying in the Point. Loved the neighborhood and the Club. I would also check out South Charlotte neighborhoods such as Ballentyne, Firethorne, Providence CC. Better schools and great country clubs, unless of course you're a boater.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 AM

I agree that Ballentyne, Providence and Firethorne are great clubs, as is The Peninsula, as well...

I beg to differ on the fact that the schools are better. I know Ballentyne and Providence CC's are located in the Mecklenburg School Disctrict. I'd suggest you compare for yourself here: NC School Report Cards

Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 PM

46 posts, read 133,991 times
Thanks for the input on The Point. We are looking 1) for a family neighborhood that has lots of school age kids, that is safe for our daughter to walk a couple of houses down the street to see a friend. Our current neighborhood in Florida has many children, but they all go to various private schools because of the low quality of the public school system. Our neighborhood is upscale and the area water is second to none, but our next move will be for more of a family friendly atmosphere. 2) Close to grocery stores, target, etc. Also want a mall with department stores- does not have to be total upscale, rather like a Macy's, Dillards, or a Nordstroms. Want the chain stores, like Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, etc somewhat close, not over 30 minutes away. 3) Not too much congestion- we will not have a morning commute other than to school to deal with, we are hoping the Brawley School Road situation will work itself out eventually, since we have been told that it will widen. 4)Large lot, 3/4 to one acre minimum , 3500 to 4500 sq ft. 5) Lake access,(we have a boat currently, but most likely will not bring it up there)for a run-about boat not to exceed 28 feet in length, don't necessarily need waterfront . We like the idea of golf and tennis and the activites at The Point. What other neighborhoods would you suggest? I have spent quite a bit of time on the schools website and am very comfortable with the Iredell School System, I would like to be an involved parent, which is sometimes frowned upon in the public school system down here. Thanks in advance for any an all input. This is a fantastic forum.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:36 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkette57 View Post
Thanks for the input on The Point. We are looking 1) for a family neighborhood that has lots of school age kids, that is safe for our daughter to walk a couple of houses down the street to see a friend. Our current neighborhood in Florida has many children, but they all go to various private schools because of the low quality of the public school system. Our neighborhood is upscale and the area water is second to none, but our next move will be for more of a family friendly atmosphere. 2) Close to grocery stores, target, etc. Also want a mall with department stores- does not have to be total upscale, rather like a Macy's, Dillards, or a Nordstroms. Want the chain stores, like Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, etc somewhat close, not over 30 minutes away. 3) Not too much congestion- we will not have a morning commute other than to school to deal with, we are hoping the Brawley School Road situation will work itself out eventually, since we have been told that it will widen. 4)Large lot, 3/4 to one acre minimum , 3500 to 4500 sq ft. 5) Lake access,(we have a boat currently, but most likely will not bring it up there)for a run-about boat not to exceed 28 feet in length, don't necessarily need waterfront . We like the idea of golf and tennis and the activites at The Point. What other neighborhoods would you suggest? I have spent quite a bit of time on the schools website and am very comfortable with the Iredell School System, I would like to be an involved parent, which is sometimes frowned upon in the public school system down here. Thanks in advance for any an all input. This is a fantastic forum.
I think The Pointe will suit your needs very well. We are Pottery Barn addicts and there is one at the Northlake Mall on exit 18 off I-77. We visit it quite often, lol. For the homes you are looking at, its going to be a minimum of $750K, if not, close to $1M.

If you want to spend less, try Sailview or Northview Harbor in Denver/Sherrills Ford. Its on the west end of the lake and alot less congested, but you will get a bit more for the money...

Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
I think The Pointe will suit your needs very well. We are Pottery Barn addicts and there is one at the Northlake Mall on exit 18 off I-77. We visit it quite often, lol. For the homes you are looking at, its going to be a minimum of $750K, if not, close to $1M.

If you want to spend less, try Sailview or Northview Harbor in Denver/Sherrills Ford. Its on the west end of the lake and alot less congested, but you will get a bit more for the money...

I agree with Supercharged SS, The Point will suit your needs--completely. The price range of $750K-$1M, plus is right on.... if you want/need lake access, Sailview in Denver, a tad less of a price point, not too much though, also a Crescent Community, or Northview Harbor, in Sherrills Ford, both good calls...but different schools/counties.

In The Point, there are kids running up and down, or riding bikes up and down the street, all of the time...or kids coming to my door, my son going outside to play...it's awesome! Just what "I" was looking for in a community...

There are others, in and around the lake, but most are smaller communities I can give you names if you need them. A lot down Isle of Pines Rd. off of Brawley School Rd. There is also Pinnacle Shores off of 150...same Iredell Statesville Schools there.

Iredell-Statesville schools are GREAT with parental involvement, there is a TON of it! If you choose to live here, you'll see what I am talking about.

As for shopping... some really great stores at Birkdale (Williams Sonoma, Gap, etc etc) at exit 25, then at exit 18 there's a relatively new mall, NorthLake-- Pottery Barn there, plus a lot of other great stores, restaurants, including a new P.F. Changs....

You will have to contend with Brawley School Road traffic though, its NOT good...we have peak traffic times, before school and after work, if you can avoid those times, that's best. We all manage though...

Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 PM

46 posts, read 133,991 times
Thanks dmmls and superchargedss, for all of the info- we have been looking at each and every listing that has come up within the point, as well as having visited there three times now. We have also gone to Sailview and Pinnacle Shores, the later being just a little too far away from everything for us. We just got the feeling that it was a bit remote.We also looked at The Harbor (?). I am particularly drawn to the schools that are zoned for the point, most likely because I have spent the most time on those particular websites. How about riding the bus? Is that encouraged, or do most parents still drop their kids off because they are wary of the bus? How long is the average bus ride? The public school transit system down here is as messed up as the school system. I commit just short of two hours each day for the commute to and from school down here, so the Brawley School Road debacle isn't the end of the world for us as long as there is a solution at some point. We are looking forward to a true neighborhood where kids all go to the same school! Getting used to being fresh water boaters after being salt water boaters will be interesting, but we are really looking forward to it. Not having sharks and gators as swimming buddies will be a breath of fresh air! jsut kidding.. Again, thanks, and wish us luck in this miserable housing market. Although.... things seem to be twitching to life ever so slightly...

Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkette57 View Post
Thanks dmmls and superchargedss, for all of the info- we have been looking at each and every listing that has come up within the point, as well as having visited there three times now. We have also gone to Sailview and Pinnacle Shores, the later being just a little too far away from everything for us. We just got the feeling that it was a bit remote.We also looked at The Harbor (?). I am particularly drawn to the schools that are zoned for the point, most likely because I have spent the most time on those particular websites. How about riding the bus? Is that encouraged, or do most parents still drop their kids off because they are wary of the bus? How long is the average bus ride? The public school transit system down here is as messed up as the school system. I commit just short of two hours each day for the commute to and from school down here, so the Brawley School Road debacle isn't the end of the world for us as long as there is a solution at some point. We are looking forward to a true neighborhood where kids all go to the same school! Getting used to being fresh water boaters after being salt water boaters will be interesting, but we are really looking forward to it. Not having sharks and gators as swimming buddies will be a breath of fresh air! jsut kidding.. Again, thanks, and wish us luck in this miserable housing market. Although.... things seem to be twitching to life ever so slightly...
Hi klinkette... not a problem at all! Yes, you are talking about The Harbour (at the Pointe)--which is a community "within" The Point, though not really a part of it, it's a large community itself and it is very nice as well. Same schools at The Point.

All I can say, is I love it here. It is everything "I" was looking for in a community, for me and for my family...

Bus riding is HIGHLY encouraged and most ALL kids ride the bus, especially for the fact that most partents don't want to sit in traffic to get their kids to school! The bus system is good here too...

You will have to get used to fresh water vs. salt water (I'm a Californian, I know what you mean ) and geese and duck, not sharks and gators!

I hear ya about the housing market, being in real estate-- I KNOW what you mean! GOOD LUCK with your house sale!! Glad to hear things might be coming to life--even if just a bit!

If you need any other information, don't hesitate to ask...

Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 AM

356 posts, read 371,047 times
Default Brawley School Rd. Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa5 View Post
The Point is beautiful but there are alot of other beautiful spots on Lake Norman. Traffic is nasty. County and residents are working on trying to fix the problem, but it is slow.
Can someone give me an update on the traffic situation on Brawley School Rd? I know it has been under construction for some time and it is being widened. Is the road work finished? Has traffic improved?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Section 1 which is West from Williamson Rd is supposed to be fully functional before schools go back.
All new signals are in use, side walks complete, all lanes paved to same level (well almost) and they seem to be concentrating on the junctions of rds like Morrison Plantation (doing something there to help with the fact that there's a new road out of the back of Brawley Middle which will exit onto Morrison-adding another lane and removing central divider), Canvasback, Oaktree etc.

There are now several places where you can't turn into the minor roads due to the addition of the concrete islands which means people are going to be executing U turns at Canvasback and Morrison plantation- hopefully not at Williamson, which will be interesting.
The intersection of Brawley and Canvasback is huge now with concrete islands here and there to add to the interest.

We will wait and see.

It would help tremendously if people would get off their phones, concentrate on driving and try and drive at a speed that reflects the traffic, rather than flying off when they realise there's a 50 ft gap in front of them because the car in front moved forward 10mins ago, and then slamming on the anchors when they reach the bupmper of the car in front.

Also, leaving a safe (NOT 20YD) gap when turning at intersections, AND performing the turn with 2 hands on the wheel at more than 5 miles per hour!

But then this doesn't just apply to BSR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte