Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 54,466 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 something single, professional African American female who is considering moving to the Charlotte Metro Area and wanted some advice as to the best areas to live in. I currently live in suburban Maryland outside of Baltimore. I will be purchasing a home and prefer the suburbs and was told Huntersville, Concord, Matthews were good areas to live in but I want to make sure that I will meet other single African Americans, especially professional men and not have such a hectic commute to work in Charlotte or for socializing in Charlotte. I would appreciate any guidance that you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 PM

233 posts, read 907,213 times
Thumbs up B'more Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseisthe1 View Post
I am a 30 something single, professional African American female who is considering moving to the Charlotte Metro Area and wanted some advice as to the best areas to live in. I currently live in suburban Maryland outside of Baltimore. I will be purchasing a home and prefer the suburbs and was told Huntersville, Concord, Matthews were good areas to live in but I want to make sure that I will meet other single African Americans, especially professional men and not have such a hectic commute to work in Charlotte or for socializing in Charlotte. I would appreciate any guidance that you can provide.
I see you are tired of Baltimore and looking for a change. Well, my advice is to find somewhere decent to live first, then look for places to socialize. The areas you mentioned above I hear are nice areas. When I moved here from Baltimore, I rented an apartment for 6 months and looked around on the weekends. If you must move into a home immediately, I can give you the name of the agent I used for my home.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:48 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
...my advice is to find somewhere decent to live first, then look for places to socialize...
I agree with this 100%. Charlotte's pretty small, so getting in on the social scene is easy no matter where you live. The city is very mixed compared to other places, so again, its not really a big deal where you live from a social perspective. However, with that said, most black professionals do tend to live in the northern part of town; I sent you a PM with more details...

Old 10-12-2007, 01:50 PM

23 posts, read 86,456 times
Hi mseisthe1,

I am also a " 30 something single, professional African American female who is considering moving to the Charlotte Metro Area" I'm so excited to see I'm not alone I'm originally from NJ but have lived in FL for 9 years now. I am ready to make a move to NC and feel that Charlotte is the place for me. I have gotten some suggestions and plan to go check some of the areas out next month. I will let you know my opinion if you're interested. FYI - Huntersville always seems to be on any list I've been given. I have a few other suggestions, pm me and I'll forward them to you. God Bless and Good Luck - keep in touch - maybe I'll see you there!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM

43 posts, read 125,277 times
Ok, jumping on the band wagon, I like the original poster am a single 35 year old single female from Florida, who is looking to relocate to Charlotte. I am a special education teacher and am sooooo excited to visit Charlotte next week. I will take pictures and get as much info as possible and post it in hopes of helping with the search. I plan to look at apartments, rent for a year and then purchase a home. I think I need time to learn the area before buying. My plan is to relocate in June 08, and I am already counting down. Thanks for this board it has really helped.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovefla View Post
Ok, jumping on the band wagon, I like the original poster am a single 35 year old single female from Florida, who is looking to relocate to Charlotte. I am a special education teacher and am sooooo excited to visit Charlotte next week. I will take pictures and get as much info as possible and post it in hopes of helping with the search. I plan to look at apartments, rent for a year and then purchase a home. I think I need time to learn the area before buying. My plan is to relocate in June 08, and I am already counting down. Thanks for this board it has really helped.
We could always use experienced teachers in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. Do you have someone here to help you with your search? The city is kind of spread out, so having a realtor or friend waiting to help you see the "lay of the land" would be very beneficial and time saving.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM

241 posts, read 756,319 times
Sounds to me like you have a very good plans laid out. The people that move here on a whim usually end up moving back to where they came from. Charlotte is a wonderful city. Try to take in as much as possible..
Quote:

Old 10-13-2007, 12:46 PM

43 posts, read 125,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We could always use experienced teachers in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. Do you have someone here to help you with your search? The city is kind of spread out, so having a realtor or friend waiting to help you see the "lay of the land" would be very beneficial and time saving.
I don't know anyone to help me navigate through the maze of transferring my Florida license to NC. I know there is reciprocity between Florida and NC. I have been using the website Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to help with the basics. What is confusing is that when I called NC Department of Education, one person told me that I would not have to take the praxis II, yet when I read the postings on the boards, I keep getting different stories, I have come to believe that it varies on a case by case basis. I will be graduating in December with my Masters in special education with an ESOL endorsement. I plan to apply with NC when I am done with school so that all the paperwork can be processed at one time. I hope to have all the processing completed by the first of the year so I can attend the job fairs, and quickly get a contract. Then I can start apartment hunting. I have been checking the sites of middle schools and high schools; I don't think that I am suited for elementary school, to try and get a feel for the schools. Any information that you can provide would be most welcomed.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,678,209 times
What do you look like first. Maybe you can swing by Raleigh!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,351,466 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone to help me navigate through the maze of transferring my Florida license to NC. I know there is reciprocity between Florida and NC. I have been using the website Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to help with the basics. What is confusing is that when I called NC Department of Education, one person told me that I would not have to take the praxis II, yet when I read the postings on the boards, I keep getting different stories, I have come to believe that it varies on a case by case basis. I will be graduating in December with my Masters in special education with an ESOL endorsement. I plan to apply with NC when I am done with school so that all the paperwork can be processed at one time. I hope to have all the processing completed by the first of the year so I can attend the job fairs, and quickly get a contract. Then I can start apartment hunting. I have been checking the sites of middle schools and high schools; I don't think that I am suited for elementary school, to try and get a feel for the schools. Any information that you can provide would be most welcomed.

When you land that job, I would imagine you'll find out all that stuff about license transfer etc., but you know, with a Master's, you can teach in a community college also, so don't limit your self to middle and high schools alone. and I believe that anything that you can certify in can only make you more valuable. So take the Praxis II!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte