Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 25,342 times

Advertisements

Anyone famililiar with the Denver area on the west side of the lake? Looking to relocate from NY and got info on Salem Springs community by Brookwood. Can anyone provide any info? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Here's a recent thread about Denver.

What's it like in Denver?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:45 AM

673 posts, read 2,681,101 times
We looked in that area, but it was too rural for me. I understand they are building more retail there though. The other thing that was a turnoff for us was that we discovered a nuclear power plant about 6 miles from the community we would be building in. The builders don't tell you about that unless you ask.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM

153 posts, read 478,016 times
The area is fabulous! If "too rural" means not enough opportunity to sit in your car for hours during rush hour, wonder where your kids will go to school and which of the 19 kindergarden classes they will attend, wonder about security, resale values, or pay double in taxes, etc. then, yes, it probably is too rural! LOL

We are actually about five minutes from Huntersville and about 30 minutes from uptown. We love how convenient the area is to entertainment, dining, the lake, etc., but also how much house we got for our money, our small tax bills, our friendly, upscale but still affordable neighborhood mix of people from all over, all ages, and feeling safe and relaxed.

If you want some accurate information from someone who has built in this area twice, feel free to PM me. I know some people want to keep this area our own little secret, but I am happy to tell you all about it and welcome you if you want to come look around! WE LOVE IT!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 25,342 times
Builder told me 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots...is that true? Not from the city so rural does not concern me. Someone mentioned the power plant being close by, was that a concern for you? Do they anticipate the west side of the lake developing as the east side did? Thanks for your response.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
The power plant isn't a secret. Lake Norman was created by Duke Power.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,628 times
wether you are 1 mile, 6 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles, etc from this nuclear plant, its not really going to matter if something happens, which is slim to none. From my understanding, an airplane could crash directly into the plant and still no threat of a meltdown or anything, just alot of mess to clean up. It doesnt worry me one bit, plus its hardly noticeable...

Denver is great. The properties are going to start going up and up as they start developing it. I think if one is interested in relocating there they should do it soon before the prices start hiking up like the east side did.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:30 PM

237 posts, read 855,847 times
I agree with SuperCharged, not much chance of something happening but in the extremely slim chance that something does the closer the better if anyone remember the fallout from Chernobyl. Denver is a very nice area. Schools are good, and its a good place to buy as it has not seen alot of apperciation yet.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
wether you are 1 mile, 6 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles, etc from this nuclear plant, its not really going to matter if something happens, which is slim to none. From my understanding, an airplane could crash directly into the plant and still no threat of a meltdown or anything, just alot of mess to clean up. It doesnt worry me one bit, plus its hardly noticeable...

Denver is great. The properties are going to start going up and up as they start developing it. I think if one is interested in relocating there they should do it soon before the prices start hiking up like the east side did.
Everything you said is very true

Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker1 View Post
Builder told me 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots...is that true? Not from the city so rural does not concern me. Someone mentioned the power plant being close by, was that a concern for you? Do they anticipate the west side of the lake developing as the east side did? Thanks for your response.
Yep (on the acreage for some developments) and yep (on the development)

However, the proximity of the power plant is not a concern. Duke Energy has had a great record with their McGuire Nuclear power plant. And the development should be stalled for about two years until they can get a new sewer treatment plant constructed.

We're in Denver. Moved there from Charlotte. We love the community feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: