Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2006, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,369 times

Advertisements

HI i want to move to Charlotte and raise my family there. I am currently in the US Navy living in Japan and I plan on getting out soon. I have a wife and 2 young children. Where are the best places to live in the area at a reasonable price? How is the job market? What price can i expect to pay for a decent apartment or house in the area? How is the city? What is the weather like?

Thank you so much for your assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshep78 View Post
HI i want to move to Charlotte and raise my family there. I am currently in the US Navy living in Japan and I plan on getting out soon. I have a wife and 2 young children. Where are the best places to live in the area at a reasonable price? How is the job market? What price can i expect to pay for a decent apartment or house in the area? How is the city? What is the weather like?

Best places to live?
You have to define whats important to you. Would you rather live in more rural setting and have to commute further, and worry less about crime? Or rather live close by to the local big-box stores and other shopping but feel more crowded by development and more likelihood or crime?

Reasonable price?
This is different for every person, and for each area. If you want to live among the living-by-the-lake or golf course community crowd you will pay more, but if safe area and schools are more important to you and you dont need the 2000 sq ft. plus home with all the amenities there are decent homes to choose from. Older home, or new home? They are building developments everywhere imaginable. Small-town feel, or larger city suburb?

How is the job market?
Charlotte is a banking hub, so finance/business jobs abound, not so much tech jobs. What is your experience/education?

price to pay for a decent apartment or house in the area?
2 bedroom apartment can cost from 500 to 1500 a month, but 800 should be enough to get a decent one.

What is the weather like?
Typical of the south- warm summers and mild winters, though not as humid. A little bit of snow ever winter I hear, havent been here long enough to see it. I'm from Florida, and I think its great here. Today was warm but nice, the kind of day you want to go to a park and play with the kids, or hang out on your porch.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshep78 View Post

Don't come to Charlotte and expect "reasonable" rent for a decent apt or house in a good area of town. Expect to pay at least $1100. month rent on a 3 bedroom house or at $800 on an apt. Our weather is great, beautiful falls, one or two snows a year, spring temps until May, and only really hot and unbearable for the month of August.

I would suggest you try looking at some of the other cities in NC that are much smaller and more affordable. In particular, look at Greensboro. For a young family this can be a rough place to start out in, unless you think you can spend at least $175,000 on a house when you buy. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't come to Charlotte and expect "reasonable" rent for a decent apt or house in a good area of town. Expect to pay at least $1100. month rent on a 3 bedroom house or at $800 on an apt. Our weather is great, beautiful falls, one or two snows a year, spring temps until May, and only really hot and unbearable for the month of August.

I would suggest you try looking at some of the other cities in NC that are much smaller and more affordable. In particular, look at Greensboro. For a young family this can be a rough place to start out in, unless you think you can spend at least $175,000 on a house when you buy. Good luck!

The Landings in Huntersville is 1000 sqft for like 650.00 or 680.00. You can rent a garden home single level no one above you, or a townhouse. The townhouse is cheaper. Brentwood in Mooresville same company 1000.00 sqft for 650.00. My mother is going there she is over 65 so with the discount she'll pay 572.oo I think. They look pretty nice ceramic time, balcony or patio. Nice size too.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
The Landings in Huntersville is 1000 sqft for like 650.00 or 680.00. You can rent a garden home single level no one above you, or a townhouse. The townhouse is cheaper. Brentwood in Mooresville same company 1000.00 sqft for 650.00. My mother is going there she is over 65 so with the discount she'll pay 572.oo I think. They look pretty nice ceramic time, balcony or patio. Nice size too.

The original question was about Charlotte. I'm glad there are still some cheaper nice places to rent in Huntersville.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The original question was about Charlotte. I'm glad there are still some cheaper nice places to rent in Huntersville.

Oh sorry , I always think when someone says Charlotte they don't mean Charlotte. I did point them to a different location though.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
The best housing options as far as price are probably in Concord, NC, Mooresville, NC and Ft. Mill, SC. Charlotte itself can be a bit expensive. The weather is great. Lots of sunshine and blue skies year round. On average, about 6"-7" of snow per winter (av. hi/lo in Janurary 49/29). Summers are not bad, with just a few really hot spells (av. hi/lo in July 89/69). Many areas in the U.S. get much hotter. Springs and falls are heavenly!! One of the strongest economies in the nation. It's really a great area with lots to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte