Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM

763 posts, read 822,522 times

Advertisements

If any newcomers want to find some real Chinatown type grocery shopping for all Asians, go to the shopping center at N. Tryon Street and Sugarcreek Road. They have absolutely everything as well as fresh seafood. Of course, it is very authentic and smells appropriately, but you can get everything there. There are also some great Thai and Vietnamese restaurants there also. Go inside the center to the Vietnamese cafe and try their Vietnemese sandwich ($3.50). It is great.

Unfortunately, it isn't a place to go at night and drive slowly. The parking lots are sort of like the parking lots that were left behind in some wartorn countries in the past. Not in great shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
I agree with all you've said, especially the bombed out parking lot. I love Truc and Le's sandwiches. But I also have to recommend Super G on Independence. More variety, much cleaner store, fresher seafood. It has a Korean restaurant inside of it and a great Vietnamese restaurant across the parking lot.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I agree with all you've said, especially the bombed out parking lot. I love Truc and Le's sandwiches. But I also have to recommend Super G on Independence. More variety, much cleaner store, fresher seafood. It has a Korean restaurant inside of it and a great Vietnamese restaurant across the parking lot.
I haven't been there yet. Isn't it sort of tricky to get to? I looked for it one time and didn't find it.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I haven't been there yet. Isn't it sort of tricky to get to? I looked for it one time and didn't find it.
Super G used to be the Bi-Lo at Village Lake Drive and Independence, behind the Ruby Tuesday. Can't miss it if you're near it.

"Bombed out" has been used to describe that parking lot at SC/NT in another thread. What's so great about these Vietnamese sandwiches?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,410 times
Super G is located in the shopping center at the corner of Margaret Wallace and Independence. In the shopping center where the old Best Buy was located. Love it.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
If you live in Union County or are shopping there, check out Grand Asia Market on Potters Rd in Stallings. Clean, bright, wide aisles.

Very fresh seafood, fabulous bakery.

I've never purchase more affordable, tasty lobster.

I could go on and on about how much I like Grand Asia but not enough time!

Check it out, don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Grand Asia Market :: Home this place opened in Stallings (former Winn-Dixie) this year. Pretty impressive place. Has restaurant and majority of shoppers are Asian which to me is testimony that it is worthy

Last edited by ZnGuy; 11-08-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: ^beat me to the punch..

Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,145 times
I like International Market @ N Tryon and Sugar Creek. There are 2 Asian markets on this corner. The International Market is the smaller one & furthest from the intersection and closest to the Vietnamese Sandwich shop(The sandwiches are delectable!).

I tried the Super G/Grand Asia but the prices were higher.

While perusing my favorite site for Thai recipes I found this article: Why Asian Food Saves You Money - ThaiTable.com

I agree 100%, cooking Thai/Asian food is much cheaper than many western meals.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 AM

495 posts, read 1,078,216 times
When you all say "fresh seafood", is it actually fresh as opposed to previously frozen? Not only that, but I have to imagine most of it has been imported. I was in Grand Asia not too long ago and not one item was sourced from our local (Southeast) waters. Most of it was from Thailand, Vietnam, etc. It's amazing how people have such a discerning eye for red meat or poultry sourcing and quality but then just abandon all discretion or inquisitiveness when it comes to seafood. It's up to you, but I'd rather not support a product (our domestic seafood market being flooded with cheap imports) that is leading to the demise of our local fishing industry and way of life, just to save a few bucks. This is the sort of short-term mindset that actually hurts our overall economy even more in the long run. I'd rather eat 1/2 pound of local shrimp than 1 pound of Thai shrimp - it's not like I'm going to starve either way. Our local product is a better product anyway.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Super G used to be the Bi-Lo at Village Lake Drive and Independence, behind the Ruby Tuesday. Can't miss it if you're near it.

"Bombed out" has been used to describe that parking lot at SC/NT in another thread. What's so great about these Vietnamese sandwiches?
The bread is great like you get with a fresh cuban sandwich. I usually have the pork that is thin sliced and has a very dominant cilantro flavor and a great mix of vegetables. It is hard to tell how good it is, but pleas try it.

I am not shocked that people from everyplace think the parking lot looks like Vietnam or possibly Bagdad, or in the future military bases in Iran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte