Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM

196 posts, read 428,837 times

Advertisements

I live in Ballantyne and looked out my window today only to see a hawk perched on my fence a few feet away. I am getting a new dog this weekend (a pomeranian) and concerned about letting him outside alone. This is the first time I have noticed the bird's presence, but curious is anyone else has had issues with small pets and the local bird species?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
I wouldn't let the dog outside unless you are right there with him and he is connected to a leash!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,269 times
How small is the dog? Unless it's squirrel size or smaller, I wouldn't worry too much about a hawk. I WOULD worry about coyotes or Great Horned Owls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
I live in Ballantyne and looked out my window today only to see a hawk perched on my fence a few feet away. I am getting a new dog this weekend (a pomeranian) and concerned about letting him outside alone. This is the first time I have noticed the bird's presence, but curious is anyone else has had issues with small pets and the local bird species?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
I have seen two cats carried off by hawks. One hawk was a red-tailed hawk (in a rural area) the other was a red-shouldered hawk (South Charlotte).

A large hawk sure can carry off a cat, or a rabbit or a small dog. You better believe it. Even saw one carrying a wiggling snake.

Just google it - folks have firsthand stories. We (and the vets) believe our feral cat (well, we rescued him but he is wild as wild can be) was attacked and carried by a hawk. The piercing claws about killed him - pierced his abdomen and chest). Since then, he won't lay out in the open as he used to. He hides under things (bushes, lily fronds, ferns, etc) while napping now.

Do NOT leave a small dog outside if there is even a chance that a hawk will swoop down! The hawk may not be able to carry him far, but dropping a dog from even several feet will likely not have a good outcome. My cat survived - cause he is a cat.

There are several types of hawks in this region. Here is a red-shouldered hawk. They are magnificent birds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa_8Esx4U-c

Last edited by brokensky; 11-15-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
How small is the dog? Unless it's squirrel size or smaller, I wouldn't worry too much about a hawk. I WOULD worry about coyotes or Great Horned Owls!
Are there large Pomerians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have seen two cats carried off by hawks. One hawk was a red-tailed hawk (in a rural area) the other was a red-shouldered hawk (South Charlotte).

A large hawk sure can carry off a cat, or a rabbit or a small dog. You better believe it. Even saw one carrying a wiggling snake.

Just google it - folks have firsthand stories. We (and the vets) believe our feral cat (well, we rescued him but he is wild as wild can be) was attacked and carried by a hawk. The piercing claws about killed him - pierced his abdomen and chest). Since then, he won't lay out in the open as he used to. He hides under things (bushes, lily fronds, ferns, etc) while napping now.

Do NOT leave a small dog outside if there is even a chance that a hawk will swoop down! The hawk may not be able to carry him far, but dropping a dog from even several feet will likely not have a good outcome. My cat survived - cause he is a cat.

There are several types of hawks in this region. Here is a red-shouldered hawk. They are magnificent birds.

Red-Shouldered Hawk - Buteo Lineatus - YouTube
Like bugguy said, owls can be a problem for small pets too. I'm pretty sure that one of the owls that lives around my home took one of my first stray kittens.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM

196 posts, read 428,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This hawk is lighter in color than the one I saw today, however, the bird was easily the size of what my dog will be full grown- I will definitely not be leaving him unattended in the backyard. I've lived here with a chihuahua for a year without incident, but after seeing the hawk so close, it gave me second thought.

Makes me wonder if my neighbor's countless bird feeders have anything to do with it...It's no fun constantly cleaning bird crap off my porch furniture throughout the spring/summer.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
This hawk is lighter in color than the one I saw today, however, the bird was easily the size of what my dog will be full grown- I will definitely not be leaving him unattended in the backyard. I've lived here with a chihuahua for a year without incident, but after seeing the hawk so close, it gave me second thought.

Makes me wonder if my neighbor's countless bird feeders have anything to do with it...It's no fun constantly cleaning bird crap off my porch furniture throughout the spring/summer.
Yeah. Wildlife is such a pain in the ass.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,338,048 times
Quote:
I've lived here with a chihuahua for a year without incident
Funny you mention that. I believe a chihuahua was attacked by a bird somewhere around here last year. Lemme see if Mr Google remembers............

hmmm... wasn't that long ago after all.

http://denverncweekly.com/news/2011/...s-hawk-attack/

Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 AM

642 posts, read 1,171,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yeah. Wildlife is such a pain in the ass.
Yep. It was on our land before we got here. How selfish .

Last edited by krokus; 11-16-2011 at 02:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM

777 posts, read 2,569,218 times
The hawks and owls in my neigborhood do a number on the rabbits. I don't know how big the rabbits are that they get but I see piles of rabbit fur and feathers every year. A quick google seach says a hawk can fly with up to half of its body weight (maybe 2lbs) for a short distance. I think once the dog is 5 pounds, i wouldn't be worried at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte