Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,732,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
The back part of Providence CC was built on highly organic soil (possibly a peat bog) if I remember correctly, but its been awhile so could be wrong on that one.
I think you are right. I am sure it was in that area . . . just can't remember the details. I tried googling and can't find anything, but I remember there were lawsuits and the county got involved somehow . . . maybe there were settlements . . . wish I could find those articles.

One thing I am certain of . . . if you go into a situation knowing there are factors that COULD cause a problem, you are playing with dynamite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,245,794 times
YOu are absolutely crazy to build a home right now.... You can find something very nice with top end finishes for less than the building cost of a new home sq foot.

Conclusion, you are crazy to build right now......

Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 AM

15,375 posts, read 12,715,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
YOu are absolutely crazy to build a home right now.... You can find something very nice with top end finishes for less than the building cost of a new home sq foot.

buying a home someone already lived in is nasty.

there are tons of homes for sell, plenty of new construction...

I just think some people are dead set on building because they told everyone they would or they want to keep up with their friends.

It does seem like an odd time to build a home but if they have the money who are we to tell them no.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM

61 posts, read 147,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I would not rely on City-Data for any advice on the largest purchase you would make.
Hire a Professional Civil Engineer.
Can't say it any better than this.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:53 PM

38 posts, read 57,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

We looked for over a year, didn't want to consider a new build, but couldn't find a comparable value in an existing home. Either interiors needed a complete update or garages/lots were too small. We also factored in the energy efficiency of a new home.

Needless to say, PLEASE explain what a silt pond is, how do we know if the house we are building is on one, and would the builder have had to disclose that?

Sorry to bump, but I tried a google search and couldn't find much I could understand without an engineering degree. I appreciate the advice above and just told my dh that we need to have an inspector (a SE would be very expensive) at our pre-drywall meeting.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,227,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Covered Silt Pond???

RUN... Do not walk away... RUN!
Don't be silly.

You might as well say don't buy a house on fill, cause that's all a "covered silt pond" is anyway... FILL. In most neighborhoods half the houses are on fill material. Some of y'all posting in this thread in new construction are probably in homes on fill and you don't even know it because usually it's a non issue.

My home was constructed on fill material 65+ years ago... no problem.

I can assure you there are strict requirements for soil compaction under ANY home, whether on fill dirt or in situ material.

I Suwannee, not knowing about a topic sure doesn't discourage folks from chiming in like they do... here's an idea, if you're not *sure* about something perhaps you should refrain from making preposterous blanket statements.

I know this thread is old... but good information is *always* relevant.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,231,138 times
Do you need to have a well or septic system? And is it zoned to allow you to build what you want to build.Some restricted lots have a minimum square feet requirement and some are zones which allow your next door neighbor to raise pigs.If you have never been through the building process before you are ripe for the picking.....You will see later what this means I promise you.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

38 posts, read 57,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

I know this thread is old... but good information is *always* relevant.
Thank you for responding Native_Son. On another thread, someone mentioned seeing some sinkholes in our neighborhood. We are coming from the desert, so we have no idea what to even look for or be cautious of in NC. For instance, if someone were moving to Phx, I would warn them that palm trees harbor large roaches and if you buy a house in the old orange groves area you may have a big problem with scorpions. my husband wanted wooded and wet, which I know means bugs - but I dont want to worry about foundation or flooding issues too. I've also tried to avoid any superfund sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte