Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM

763 posts, read 822,171 times

Advertisements

There was an article in the Cornelius paper this morning about the plans to make NoDa the new artsy area. The city is presently taking steps to improve and upgrade the small plighted area that exists presently and renovate. There is a new 'diverging diamond' which is a roundabout at the end of the exit ramp at exit #28 which will redesign the entrance to Corneius and make it a a destination for other than residents. The arts, shopping, lodging, etc. will be focused upon.

The bridge at exit 28 will feature sculptures or statues. Mayor Tarte said the Cornelius will be a destination for shopping and the arts since it really isn't a lake community at that point since accessability isn't easy in many areas.

A nationally known sculptor, Jon Hair will locate his studio to Catawba Ave. in Cornelius. Many plans are currently being drawn.

The climbing cost of living in NoDa is "making some look for new digs" in regards to artists, etc.

"Travelers on I-77 would have a reason to stop, eat, shop, and stay over nght if Cornelius is branded around the arts. Branding around the lake is almost a no-win when there are neigher beaches nor lakefront hotels."

This activity will be next to the future "red" line as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,490 times
I don't know that people are going to drive from Charlotte to Cornelius for an "arts district" when there is so much in town. That being said, people living in Cornelius or willing to live that far out would be happy about it. If they ever widen I-77 to three lanes, it would be a better draw too, but with traffic as bad as it is already, they will struggle to be a draw from people who live closer to Uptown.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
I was under the impression that most of the artist/galleries in Noda were moving over to Southend. Cornelius could use an art scene and I hope it works out for them. I could never see the people of inner city CLT driving to Cornelius for art though. Most of the people I know that live close to uptown CLT choose to live there because they do not want to drive elsewhere for entertainment.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
I was under the impression that most of the artist/galleries in Noda were moving over to Southend. Cornelius could use an art scene and I hope it works out for them. I could never see the people of inner city CLT driving to Cornelius for art though. Most of the people I know that live close to uptown CLT choose to live there because they do not want to drive elsewhere for entertainment.
I believe that since Davidson conects to Cornelius and major projects are already underway in old Cornelius, it will be a destination to some extent. Again, the Red Line is likely to happen. It will certainly not be a Santa Fe, New Mexico, but there are over 100K people in Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville and Cornelius would get some draw. We already have a couple of playhouses out this way. It is just getting better and better.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 PM

378 posts, read 704,780 times
Yes but I fear for us who live on the 'old' side of Cornelius - Catawba boulevard between Old Statesville and the 1-77 is the bain of my existence. Unfortunately there is no way to widen it and traffic the past year or so has steadily been backed up, and not at just morning and afternoon commute times.

We do have that whole arts area behind the police station, but I haven't even been back there to see what it's all about.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
Yes but I fear for us who live on the 'old' side of Cornelius - Catawba boulevard between Old Statesville and the 1-77 is the bain of my existence. Unfortunately there is no way to widen it and traffic the past year or so has steadily been backed up, and not at just morning and afternoon commute times.

We do have that whole arts area behind the police station, but I haven't even been back there to see what it's all about.
The plan is to remedy the traffic problem that you are talking about. But I agree, widening Catawba would be a challenge. Check out this weeks Cornelius village paper. I addresses some of this.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
The climbing cost of living in NoDa is "making some look for new digs" in regards to artists, etc.
Maybe I'm missing something, but Cornelius isn't exactly a cheap place to live (yes I know this is more referring to the "old" side but it doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot of housing stock there).

Last edited by GoPhils; 11-29-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but Cornelius isn't exactly a cheap place to live (yes I know this is more referring to the "old" side but it doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot of housing stock there).
Actually that is only part true. there are affordable apartments and some descently priced condos in the Lake side of I-77 in Cornelius. The area that I am talking about is old Cornelius. That is definately not the expensive part of town. It is older with the old style homes for the most part. Even the condos are reasonable at this times.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
I hope that they are successful.

Last year Kings Mountain's officials decided that the focus would be history & the arts, although right now the focus is jobs.

There is room for multiple centers within the area & each town that adopts this focus will only bolster what is in Charlotte.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM

I don't believe that there is any real intentions of taking over NoDa or becoming a booming area. I believe that the intentions are simply to provide a nice place to visit when in this part of the county with nice restaurant venues and art galleries. There are already renovations taking place on E. Catawba Ave. converting old neglected houses into shops. The Antiquity development has plans to develope entertainment venues which will be accelerated with the changes being made to exit #28. But mostly, it will likely be the conversions of currently existing homes into boutiques, and other specialty shops. The only problem that I see is what jeepchick mentioned yesterday with the traffic. Since the homes are practically right on Catawba, widening won't be possible, and I am not sure what plans are made for an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte