Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times

Advertisements

We are all lined up to relocate to Charlotte in March, and are extremely interested in living in the Meyers Park school district for our 2 high schoolers. My question is this: I thought MP was supposed to be a really good H.S., but on a school ratings website (not sure I can post the name) it only gave MP a 6 out of 10 score, why is this? I know there are multiple factors taken into consideration, but with the price of reale estate in that particular district, I definitely expected better. We are NOT interested in moving further out into the burbs, the MP/Dilworth areas are about as far out as we would prefer to be. Does anyone have personal experiences with MP H.S. that you would be willing to share with me? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Myers Park High School is a very good high school if your kids are very bright and will be taking IB or AP classes. If they are only average students they will be in regular classes and you will likely not be as pleased with the school.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Myers Park High School is a very good high school if your kids are very bright and will be taking IB or AP classes. If they are only average students they will be in regular classes and you will likely not be as pleased with the school.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM

They both do extremely well and are both in AP classes at the school they attend now (which ranked 10 out of 10 on that same website). My daughter will be going in as a Junior next Fall, would she still be able to take the IB classes? They are both great, outgoing kids from an upper middle class home, but I do worry about their acceptance in a new high school, I know how cliquish high school can be. Nobody likes to be the 'new' kid. My daughter plays tennis, and my son is into skateboarding and soccer, so I am sure getting them involved in extracurriculars as quickly as possible will help the transition. Any insight into the attitudes of the kids at MP would be extremely helpful, thank you.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM

I think it is always hard to be the new kid - especially in high school. Sounds like your kids have alot of interests and that should help them to meet new friends. Myers Park has about 3,000 students so I am sure they will find plenty of friends with a little effort on their part.

I believe 9th and 10th grade is considered 'pre-IB' and 11th and 12th grade are IB but you should verify this with the school. My son found some of the AP classes harder than IB.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I think it is always hard to be the new kid - especially in high school. Sounds like your kids have alot of interests and that should help them to meet new friends. Myers Park has about 3,000 students so I am sure they will find plenty of friends with a little effort on their part.

I believe 9th and 10th grade is considered 'pre-IB' and 11th and 12th grade are IB but you should verify this with the school. My son found some of the AP classes harder than IB.
Thank you so very much for the information, Charlotteborn. It's really difficult being the new kid, but being the parent of the new kid can be pretty stressful as well! I want so much for them to find their own group of friends to hang out with, and for it to go relatively smooth! Please cross your fingers for us!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 PM

I agree! I think the parent has the hardest time - hoping the kids do well, find good friends, get involved, etc.

You will be fine and your kids will too!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,313 times
My son graduated last year from Myers Park with an IB diploma. He loved almost all of his teachers and his classes were challenging. I really think it's a great school. My other child goes to South Meck now, and the classes are easy with less homework in comparison. Thus, she will be less prepared for college.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,313 times
I'll add something else since you asked about the attitudes of the kids. Outside of MP, some consider the school snobby, but we have not found this to be the case. At any school there are snobby kids. In the AP and IB classes, the kids were very nice and down to earth. My son is a quirky kid - a bit different and introverted, yet he was never bullied, only respected for his intelligence. I can't speak highly enough of his experience.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I'll add something else since you asked about the attitudes of the kids. Outside of MP, some consider the school snobby, but we have not found this to be the case. At any school there are snobby kids. In the AP and IB classes, the kids were very nice and down to earth. My son is a quirky kid - a bit different and introverted, yet he was never bullied, only respected for his intelligence. I can't speak highly enough of his experience.
Thank you ex-burgher for sharing, it really helps to hear that your son had a great experience, and that you as a parent were happy with the school. My husband works in CLT and has been commuting for 3 years, and I am graduating with my nursing (RN) degree in 10 days, so this is why we are moving to the CLT area. From your name I assume you're from Pittsburgh, any chance you moved to CLT for work as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: