Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,679 times

Advertisements

I currently live is S. Florida (for two years) and am already looking to move. I am a professor at a two year school here and saw a job at South Piedmont CC. Just based on some research Polkton seems a bit too country. Is Monroe reasonable or should I look further west for a place to live? Any info would be great. As a side note, I have a child with another on the way and would love to be able to afford an actual house with a yard. Thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
It's only 20-25 miles from Monroe to Polkton. I don't even think there is anything in Polkton other than the college! It is VERY country, as you suspected. Monroe would be a good option because anything further west would be a more difficult commute yet in Monroe you still have access to Charlotte.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Monroe would be the best option. You might want to check out Marshville and Wingate also.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,679 times
How about Indian Trail? How are the schools?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:35 AM

Indian Trail is good. Keep in mind that since it is further west, the commute on 74 through Monroe going east will take you a bit longer than if you lived in Monroe itself. The stop-and-go through Monroe is time consuming (I go through there on business quite often). If you can deal with that, then Indian Trail would also be a nice option for you.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
Hey KMWAY - how's it going?. We evacuated South Florida 14 months ago to Waxhaw. Waxhaw's about a 45 minute trip to Polkton as you avoid all the traffic on route 74. Monroe's the county seat and from my point of view, crime's a bit higher and the schools a little less appealing than either the Waxhaw area or even Indian Trail....good luck

Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 AM

Yes, that is also a good option for the trade off of a bit of a longer commute. Glad you are loving it here Florida "evacuee," haha! And no hurricanes in Waxhaw either, YAY!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Oh, Kmway, don't jinx us! The last time I told a newcomer not to worry about hurricanes this far inland, Hurricane Hugo knocked us for a loop!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Ahhh! I thought about that as soon as I entered that post!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknice View Post
I currently live is S. Florida (for two years) and am already looking to move. I am a professor at a two year school here and saw a job at South Piedmont CC. Just based on some research Polkton seems a bit too country. Is Monroe reasonable or should I look further west for a place to live? Any info would be great. As a side note, I have a child with another on the way and would love to be able to afford an actual house with a yard. Thanks everybody.

Polkton is reeeeal country. I don't think they even have a stop light...but the people are friendly. The area is rural with subdivisions being pretty much nonexistent. Polkton is in Anson County and land is plentifull if you want to buy and build. Marshville is maybe 8 miles west, Wingate is another 5 miles, and then Monroe being another 5 miles or so further, all on Hwy 74.

Marshville and Wingate are both small towns with fire and police but are still mainly gas and grocery kind of towns with a small number of fast food chains and mom and pop eateries. Shopping is limited but they are both within10-15 minutes of Monroe with a mall and another newer shopping center with stores like Sears, Bestbuy, Officemax, Pier 1, Target, Walmart, Petsmart, and so on... Eateries in Monroe are abundant but nothing that knocks your socks off. Health/Medical services are more than abundant for not only Monroe but Union/Mecklenburg county in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte