Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM

930 posts, read 2,163,123 times

Advertisements

Do you think employers discriminate against older people? Just a question. I am looking for a job. Not necessarily full time, no professional anything. Just a job. I have a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I have over 20 years of retail management experience, I have four years of supervisory experience in an office setting. I have supervised as many as 60 employees. I have taken management classes as well as medical terminology courses. I also have worked in customer service for BCBS in a call center.

O.K. so I applied for a job in a small store in Southpark mall to be the third key holder. Open, close the store, take care of customers, etc. I received an e-mail that said that I wasn't qualified for this job. What?

I am just curious if my years of experience show my age or what the deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Do you think employers discriminate against older people? Just a question. I am looking for a job. Not necessarily full time, no professional anything. Just a job. I have a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I have over 20 years of retail management experience, I have four years of supervisory experience in an office setting. I have supervised as many as 60 employees. I have taken management classes as well as medical terminology courses. I also have worked in customer service for BCBS in a call center.

O.K. so I applied for a job in a small store in Southpark mall to be the third key holder. Open, close the store, take care of customers, etc. I received an e-mail that said that I wasn't qualified for this job. What?

I am just curious if my years of experience show my age or what the deal is.
It's your age.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,248,642 times
Ask them, and don't give up until you find out why you aren't qualified in their opinion.

Maybe your age doesn't fit in with their clientele or image. To me that's not discrimination, but others may not see it that way. Maybe the salary you're asking for (if you did ask; maybe you just accepted the pay they provided) is out of line with the job, regardless of your qualifications.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
In general, I would say no. But life has taught me that any trait you have is something that someone can use to discriminate against you

Maybe they meant you were over-qualified.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
In general, I would say no. But life has taught me that any trait you have is something that someone can use to discriminate against you

Maybe they meant you were over-qualified.
LOL, that's code for "you're too old".

Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Well, I didn't specify a salary. And I am 50. A young 50. LOL I really don't consider that old. I used to love to hear anyone over 40 when I was in management. They were more dependable.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM

I meant hire.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,248,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Well, I didn't specify a salary. And I am 50. A young 50. LOL I really don't consider that old. I used to love to hear anyone over 40 when I was in management. They were more dependable.
As I said, you may not be the appropriate age for the place. If I'm a teen (I'm not) looking for this week's fashion trend (I'm not) in a store that's rocking techno or emo slow jams (I'd never go in) then I don't want a pops or old lady (like you ) crowding me. I'm gonna guess that this isn't the exact case here, but it may be along those lines. I dunno.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, that's code for "you're too old".
Could be code for anything, really. Hehe.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
It could be your age, especially if the person or persons who would be supervising you are younger than you are. Also, you are incredibly over-qualified for the position which should work in your favor but usually, it doesn't. What it ends up doing is intimidating those who are younger, have less qualifications but are in supervisory positions.

Someone will appreciate your background. Keep submitting those applications. Don't let this discourage you. It may have nothing at all to do with your age . . . it may be they just do a form notification and tell everyone the same thing - that they are not qualified for the job. Someone who works there may have a best friend who needs a job, lol. It could be anything.

With your background, you will find a job! Go apply to the big department stores - even if they are not advertising a position. Talk to people on the sales floor - see what the scoop is about hiring in the future. You never know what may just fall in your hands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte