Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 AM

16 posts, read 19,660 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me. My husband and I will be moving to Charlotte within the next few months. I don't know anything about Charlotte except that it's a beautiful city. I really need help with neighborhoods and school districts. We're an interfaith couple (jewish and catholic) and we'd like to be in a neighborhood where we both feel comfortable. I've been told to look in South Charlotte but that's still too vague for me. Zip codes, names of schools, and sub areas (I think that's what they're called) would be really helpful. Are there any other types of social networking sites besides this one? I didn't find too many in my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM

628 posts, read 2,079,188 times
We really cannot help you with any suggestions until you give a little more info. Are you looking to rent or buy? What are you looking to spend? What part of town will you be working? You will probably get much more feedback with some more information

Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM

I apologize for my vagueness, I know very little of how to pose a relocation questions as I've never relocated before. We will be renting first. We'd like to not commit to anything until we learn the neighborhoods but hope to rent near where we would buy. My husband will be working in the South Park area (by the mall). We're hoping for a 20 minute commute at most.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
I recommend you look for apartments close to south Park itself. There are many complexes - some even across the street from the mall. It all depends on your budget. Your husband could have a 5-10 minute commute, and you would be able to scope out the south Charlotte neighborhoods while you are renting. A JCC and Jewish Temples as well as several Catholic churches are in the area. south Park itself is an excellent area - I would look there first - You could easily find something within 3 miles. There are several complexes at the corner of Providence and Fairview, Fairview & Colony, and across from the Harris YMCA on Quail Hollow Road.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
I apologize for my vagueness, I know very little of how to pose a relocation questions as I've never relocated before. We will be renting first. We'd like to not commit to anything until we learn the neighborhoods but hope to rent near where we would buy. My husband will be working in the South Park area (by the mall). We're hoping for a 20 minute commute at most.
I would be happy to send you a direct message

Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM

You can look a little further south if you wanted to. The Ballantyne area (28277) is a little newer of an area with a lot more apartment complexes and newer developments. There is a large number of transplants from NYC and LI. The area is not as crowded as South Park. I love the area and it's not very far from South Park. There are new schools and the area is very convenient. As for being an interfaith couple...it's really a non issue.

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 01-07-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 PM

our price range is anywhere from 200k to 400k. I'm still not sure how this website works but someone messaged me that it might help if I post the price range we're looking at

Old 01-07-2012, 03:30 PM

If you are interested in the Ballantyne area (28277 zip code). All apartment complexes on Rea Rd or Ballantyne Commons Parkway are nice. Homes are from 200K to well over 7 figures. It's a great area and still growing.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,171,278 times
You will have many options in your price range. Let us know what is important to you in a home (for example, size, bedrooms, bathrooms, age of home, size of yard, amenities) so we can best advise you.

Regarding renting, is it important for you to rent in the same school district where you will be purchasing?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Default idea

If there were 26 hours in a day and if I needed another source of income here's what I would do:

I would make a proposal to this poster (and there have plenty more before her) to become her personal assistant for a fee. Here's what I have in mind.

She and her family have an awful lot at stake. Housing in mega dollar range, absolutely no knowledge of what sub- divisions she should be in, commuting issues, houses of worship and on and on.

Would it not be worthwhile for say $500-$1000 to have someone being her "personal shopper", confidant, assistance to get the job done fast? I now it would be worth it to me.Take her hand and walk her thru it.

This suggestion is not only for her but a concept that I think goes far beyond a real estate agent presenting a house to her.... bl bla bla and she doesn't even know what she is getting into.

If nobody is interested I'm going to invent the "26th hour of the day."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte