Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM

763 posts, read 822,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I got to say one thing about you Stella....you have one hellvu sense of humor. Yep.
You said that he could get lower taxes, a bigger house, and warmer weather in 99.9% of the rest of the world including Iran. I questioned your comment. Where does the "sense of humor in my comment?" Do you really believe what you said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'm tellin ya..thats why 99 percent move here..I stand by it. if it was cheap up there ..wouldnt move here.
I still think a lot of people would move for the warmer weather and less congestion (ie, NYC, etc). The reason NYC is so large is due to jobs and opportunity, not because people are in love with it's geographical location.

The sole reason a large majority of my family members migrated north (40s, 50s and 60s) to cities like DC, Philly and NYC was for JOBS, no other reason.

After retiring, many have relocated back to NC, not just because it's cheap, some are mid-career and just feed up with the hectic pace in the larger northeastern cities.

Hypothetically, all things being equal (COLA in NYC and Charlotte), and if the jobs/opportunities were here, there'd still be a huge contingent of people moving south (especially to the RDUs, ATL and Charlotte). To many, it "fits" their lifestyle.

Let's not forget, the south, especially mid-size metros in the south only recent gained in popularity as relocation destinations. First come the jobs, then the people...outside of larger metros (ATL, etc), this is virgin territory for the south/region.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 PM

254 posts, read 522,033 times
I did not read every page, but I grew up on Long Island, Mt Sinai, a very nice town in Suffolk County. I have since moved to Nashville TN, Raleigh NC, Hudson Valley NY, Eastern CT, outside of Boston MA, and I now reside in Western MA. I am on this forum because I may have a transfer opportunity in Charlotte area and my brother lived in Fort Mill. If Long Island was currently what it was when I grew up (I am 42) I would absolutely do everything I could to move back and raise my kids there. It is not close to where I grew up, all I miss is my friends and the food. Every time I go back it reminds how much I can not stand it, I can not for the life of me understand why everyone loves it so much. It used to be beautiful, full of sod farms, corn farms, and tons of tree's/green, now it is all Condo's, Townhouses, poorly planned subdivisions, and worn down strip malls/shopping centers. My good friend lives in Shoreham and pays $20K a year in taxes, Mt. Sinai is similar now. You have to pay for the grossly over-paid teachers, police, and other union workers. They all make well over $100K a year when on the job for 8-10 years. Speaking of Union workers, how about those Roads, they are an absolute disaster, I have many friends that spend hours a day in traffic, this is very common in NY. Forget about if the weather is bad, hours is when there is not an Accident or bad weather, when something like that happens it turns a 2 hour trip one way on your commute to a 5 hour commute. I have never seen worse traffic in my life, in Boston what they call traffic is humorous compared to NY. I have one brother (Him and his wife are Teachers, that is the only reason they stay) that still lives there, but he is in East Hampton (One area that is still nice for the most part), my other 2 brothers live in NC as do my parents. My parents and younger brother are in the Wilmington area, I would not move there, but when my older brother lived in Fort Mill my wife and I loved the area. Out of all the places I have lived Western MA is by far my favorite, it is because of this I have turned down several promotions to Dallas and Houston TX. The Berkshires are absolutely beautiful, there are tobacco farms everywhere, most of the restaurants are locally owned, and almost everyone is friendly. I am 2 hours from NYC, 90 minutes from Boston, 90 minutes from Providence, and 30 minutes from Hartford, if I want to go to the City for a show or something I can. I have done so in all the places listed and I now go to Hartford/Providence more because it is so much easier than the other 2, NY is a nightmare to visit, forget about live. As far as Nassau that is where my wives family lives, it is 10 times worse than Long Island in my opinion.

I do miss my friends a lot, we get together every year, I am lucky to still hang out with the same group of friends I grew up with. A handful of us have moved away due to work transfers/opportunities, every time we get together we all talk about how we would never go back. With that said it took us a while to realize that, the first 3 years minimum you resist change, you only think about what you miss, then every time you visit you realize its really not that great. I say this because I would bet many have moving remorse the first few years and move back, to me they did not even give it a chance OR they did not do their homework to begin with and moved somewhere that has nothing in common with what they prefer from a life style. I have a family, they come before anything, and IMO Charlotte is much more family oriented than NY.

One more thing, I was the least patient person in my crowd, I rushed everywhere, the slower style grows on you. It is a lot less stressful and even though it still drives me nuts sometimes to me is a lot healthier than the ridiculous pace in NY.

Lets not even get into the Political Disaster in NY, the left wingers that speak one way, yet do not want their beliefs to apply to them.

Sorry for the ranting, just adding my 2 cents, I could go on forever on how over-rated I feel NY is especially for the price you pay.

Last edited by Homer12; 12-17-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,906 times
NYC can be Heart Attack City to someone with the wrong attitude just like Charlotte can be Comatose Cay to somebody with a high metabolism who can't adjust the throttle. I know a lotta northerners who took awhile to calm down and learn to wait. And wait. And wait. I've also lived in Charlotte to know that things move a lot faster now than they did some twenty years ago. It just took the people who relocated here *first* to learn how to do things right like get the utility bills handled properly (my electricity and gas got turned off for non-payment three times during the two years I was here. Always paid on-time).

Don't see too many from the deep south except in the deep south. Must be a metabolic thing there too.

Californeys, hey, as long as they get their mayonnaise and pineapple pizza and a smoothie to wash it down with, there happy. Real adaptable people when they come to Charlotte. Nice folks in a surfin' and turfin' sort of way.

"...I love when New Yorkers move back because it just reinforces that they don't belong here where people are laid back and like to enjoy what the south has to offer!!..."

Wow. Am I surprised that the poster wasn't moderated right back to the stone age for that remark. I am majorly offended-by-proxy. My brother lives in the Bronx. He's thinking of relocating here as soon as he sells his cracker box house so he can move to Weddington or Waxhaw. Think I should warn him that the native NCs are restless?

Last edited by LarryBGood; 12-18-2013 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte