Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,733,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Iraq? 99.9% of the world? You have got to be kidding

I got to say one thing about you Stella....you have one hellvu sense of humor. Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,207,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I don't care why they come, but I'm glad they're coming. I hope they KEEP coming. And I hope they keep bringing all that NY ca$h with them. And it wouldn't **** me off if they helped with the schools either.
I hear you on that...no doubt , its not a bad thing for this area.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM

In the case of retired civil employees (NYC) that will be receiving a good pension and social security, (and Medicare for health care) there is absolutely no reason to stay in the N.E. other than family ties.

I guess the competition for CLT is Fla. but way too many people from the NE cannot stand the thought of Fla's summer heat.

How strong is North Carolina's state marketing promotion to lure this type of retiree to the state? This surely should be an area to exploit....I guess.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
:)>

34 posts, read 90,407 times
I was born in NYC and lived there until I was 23. I was still a young lad (single digits) and knew I would not stay. I hated having to live in an apartment. I hated the crowds. It was such a treat just to get out of the city whenever I could (and I did). I hated the subway. Once I started driving there was even more to hate . . . no parking, lots of traffic, tolls, crappy roads and of course high insurance. It shouldn't cost seven dollars to get from one part of the same city to the other.

I gave up a good job in an exciting field the moment I was able to find a good paying job somewhere else. I'm in Colorado now but I'm buying a house north of Charlotte soon. We've already warned the family that they'll have to come and see us because I'm DONE going there.

We've been back to visit several times and it's just getting worse and worse. I can't see how anyone loves it or even likes it. I think they're kidding themselves and trying to make the best of it because you get hooked on the higher pay and start to lose sight of what's important and normal. You start to think it's like that everywhere and then sell it to yourself because of the fast pace and culture.

The only thing I miss is the pizza.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,707 times
[quote=Big Aristotle;22585872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

Let me get southern on ya...ahh shux, CT? Isn't that whole darn thang just a wealthy county/area north of New York City, similar to Northern VA in DC.

It'd interesting to know the top 10 public schools in NC versus top 10 in CT, and how they compare relative to student/teacher ratio, test scores and programs, etc.

By the way, I told you this before, I really like CT, just too balmy in the summer for me..well, cold in the winter.

Back in June, Newsweek published an article on 'America's Best High Schools.' You can rank them by state on the site. North Carolina had 21 while New York had 63. Yes, North Carolina has half the population of New York, but North Carolina has 1/3 the quality high schools compared to New York. The majority of real estate taxes go towards education. It's ironic that a lot of New Yorkers will move down here due to the significantly lower property taxes, but many times (not always), there's a strong correlation between real estate taxes and quality of education. Here's the link to the Newsweek article if anyone is interested:

America's Best High Schools - The Daily Beast

Old 01-22-2012, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I don't care why they come, but I'm glad they're coming. I hope they KEEP coming. And I hope they keep bringing all that NY ca$h with them. And it wouldn't **** me off if they helped with the schools either.
Good point. They're the ones buying up the big, new homes down here in the vinyl villages which, in turn, will lead to developers putting up new shopping centers, restaurants, etc. making some new jobs.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
:)>

34 posts, read 90,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
How strong is North Carolina's state marketing promotion to lure this type of retiree to the state? This surely should be an area to exploit....I guess.
NC, especially western NC, makes most magazine article's top ten lists for places to retire. Don't wish for TOO many though or things start going the OTHER way!!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM

^^^^^kinda like "reverse carpet bagging eh?" Dumb Yankees.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM

^^^^meant for post 116

Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :)> View Post
NC, especially western NC, makes most magazine article's top ten lists for places to retire. Don't wish for TOO many though or things start going the OTHER way!!

pot on. We really need to watch the rate of influx and watch our borders.Important that just the right mix enter or before y'all know we.... well....know what what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte