Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,058,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'll repeat my intitial post in this thread....its CHEAPER HERE nothing more , nothing less. Trust me , if you could buy a house in the suburbs of NY and pay the going rate here and the same taxes as here, nobody would be moving.
Quote:
To MIKEYKID..other than the weather , I have NEVER railed against Charlotte. Its never been a bad place to live and I won't knock it. I just would rather live up there after spending time in both places. In fact I'm glad I got to experience something different.
If you took some time to look into this further you'd realize many of us are saying that the NYC suburbs are CHEAPER. "Cheaper" is subjective of course because I'm talking in terms of VALUE. The Charlotte metro simply offers more of it for a family today... and to compound this, one has to consider where it's heading as in the value in 10 years.

With regard to the "nobody would be moving" statement related to housing cost and taxes... It's not a fair statement. If the NYC suburbs cost about the same as the Charlotte suburbs, that would ripple through to other metros and open up all sorts of scenarios for fun. Heck, I love San Francisco... weather in Southern Cal - gimme 1 of each please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
<snip>

Ok, back to work on my never ending book...Mickeykid- would you consider editing for an advanced copy?
For an advanced SIGNED copy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,219,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you took some time to look into this further you'd realize many of us are saying that the NYC suburbs are CHEAPER. "Cheaper" is subjective of course because I'm talking in terms of VALUE. The Charlotte metro simply offers more of it for a family today... and to compound this, one has to consider where it's heading as in the value in 10 years.

With regard to the "nobody would be moving" statement related to housing cost and taxes... It's not a fair statement. If the NYC suburbs cost about the same as the Charlotte suburbs, that would ripple through to other metros and open up all sorts of scenarios for fun. Heck, I love San Francisco... weather in Southern Cal - gimme 1 of each please.

For an advanced SIGNED copy!
Cheaper than what Mikey? NYC?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not for long, at the rate they're all moving down here...
Francois - Please get with the program already and stop with generic statements like this. You come into every one of these type of threads and ultimately end up with this one overblown generalization based on nothing but air. You need to look further into WHY the suburbs of NY, NJ, etc blew it. Understand where they went wrong in setting up unsustainable benefits, salary, and pensions for their municipal employees - the unthinkable corruption in the schools boards, the dirty lobbyists, etc, etc... This wasn't invented in the Northeast of the US, but they took it to another level.

The sheer fact that people are moving to NC doesn't write the same thing happening in stone. I mean, you do realize how much housing stock you have available. It wouldn't be a good thing for the relocation trend to stop altogether. "Real New Yorkers" who get it aren't here in NC as carpetbaggers now... many of us want to raise our children and provide the best for them. Believe it or not that doesn't include "ruining your state"... and even crazier some of my best friends since moving down here are native NCers. I laugh with them about the NY stereotype like no tomorrow - even when I fall into it myself.

Stereotypes and generalizations run both ways and are often flat out wrong... and just for good measure - WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT? IS THERE A PROBLEM?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Cheaper than what Mikey? NYC?
Cheaper then it used to be compared to itself. More EXPENSIVE, but CHEAPER. Kind of like Walmart products.

In other words, the only reason is not because it is less expensive.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM

80 posts, read 121,830 times
Home is what you make it. I am new to the area by way of LI NY and I can tell you first hand the expense of maintaining a property in NY is no picnic basket. Yes the taxes are high and a slight reprieve is nowhere in sight. I don't have a strong dislike for NY it has served me well. NY has everything for those who are seeking some type of 'utopia' but my time just expired.This is home now and I welcome the change good,bad or indifferent.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Cheaper then it used to be compared to itself. More EXPENSIVE, but CHEAPER. Kind of like Walmart products.

In other words, the only reason is not because it is less expensive.
I honestly am not sure what you mean. Are you saying its cheaper to live up there now than it was 10 years ago? If so ...why?

Heh..lets put it this way. If that area was percentage-wise cheaper to this area instead of the other way around, everyone would be flocking north. Say whay you want, but it IS about cheaper for most. It is for the young couple trying to buy their first house. It is for the family of 5 trying to make it. It is for the retirees who can't afford to pay the taxes. Its not ALWAYS about cheaper but I'm willing to bet EVERY person who has moved here has noticed the difference.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I honestly am not sure what you mean. Are you saying its cheaper to live up there now than it was 10 years ago? If so ...why?

Heh..lets put it this way. If that area was percentage-wise cheaper to this area instead of the other way around, everyone would be flocking north. Say whay you want, but it IS about cheaper for most. It is for the young couple trying to buy their first house. It is for the family of 5 trying to make it. It is for the retirees who can't afford to pay the taxes. Its not ALWAYS about cheaper but I'm willing to bet EVERY person who has moved here has noticed the difference.
Sorry to be confusing and I swear I'm not trying to be obtuse. For the purpose of this discussion I am saying that "cheaper" does not just mean less expensive. It means much more. Cheaper assumes to me to be in lesser quality. Less value. So, yes... it's less expensive to live in the Charlotte metro as opposed to the NYC metro. Yet, I'm saying that this isn't the only reason because it's less VALUE on LI compared to suburban Charlotte.

If "cheaper" is the main reason, then why choose Charlotte over countless even cheaper metros? If all I cared about was cheaper as in less expensive, I had my pickins because you'd have to choose CA metros to find something comparable (i.e. San Francisco). Compared to the NYC suburbs, just about the entire country is less expensive - so I don't think it's a valid argument on its own to say that Charlotte is chosen because it's cheaper. Do we notice substantially less on property taxes, substantially less on insurance, energy, etc? Of course - it's great!

In closing (and something you'd appreciate)... We'll be giggling when the snow and shoveling starts in earnest up in NY. That is something I will never miss.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be confusing and I swear I'm not trying to be obtuse. For the purpose of this discussion I am saying that "cheaper" does not just mean less expensive. It means much more. Cheaper assumes to me to be in lesser quality. Less value. So, yes... it's less expensive to live in the Charlotte metro as opposed to the NYC metro. Yet, I'm saying that this isn't the only reason because it's less VALUE on LI compared to suburban Charlotte.

If "cheaper" is the main reason, then why choose Charlotte over countless even cheaper metros? If all I cared about was cheaper as in less expensive, I had my pickins because you'd have to choose CA metros to find something comparable (i.e. San Francisco). Compared to the NYC suburbs, just about the entire country is less expensive - so I don't think it's a valid argument on its own to say that Charlotte is chosen because it's cheaper. Do we notice substantially less on property taxes, substantially less on insurance, energy, etc? Of course - it's great!

In closing (and something you'd appreciate)... We'll be giggling when the snow and shoveling starts in earnest up in NY. That is something I will never miss.
You lived on Long Island right? Do you know Long Island averages in the 20-30 inch a year range snow-wise? Hardly anything I'd call a problem. Hey now you can sweat..its all relative.

Ok..I understand your point now on value vs cheaper and I can respect that. I dont agree personally as the value of being near my family and friends, havings a familiarity and comfort with my surroundings, not sweating all summer, having better school systems, worrying less about crime and other things makes the value there better than here in spite of the financial pain I'll endure.

The reason people pick Charlotte is its cheaper AND a major metro so there are jobs (some) to be had.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,743,279 times
IMHO Milkey's body is in Clt but his heart and soul is in NY. He just can't figure out how to get back there but when he does he be on the Soul Train headed back to Penn Station NYC.

All Aboard!!!!! lol

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,303,297 times
To OP: Because no matter where you are raised (Brooklyn, Queens, etc), some people relish in the slower lifestyle pace and lower cost of living. It's all relative, some people will enjoy the weather, some "city" folk will never really adjust to the pace and smallism, culture, distance to family and will seek larger metros or relocate back home. What irks me is the "I don't/didn't like it there so you won't" or " I love it there so you will" extreme viewpoints.

Regardless, there are great schools here, plenty of activities, great people, etc. like anywhere else.

Funny thing about life, you can't miss what you've never had so the idea that people are missing out on something (whether in NYC or Charlotte) is delusional.....grandpa taught me that so I simply appreciate the little things and living in this great country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte