Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM

116 posts, read 255,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Per the example in the OP, the "unlivable" taxes are not due to "services and conveniences"... The insane taxes are due to unsustainable salaries, benefits, and pensions for the municipal employees (i.e. cops and teachers). If you looked at a property tax bill from LI, you'd understand better.

This is not to say that taxes won't increase as transplants move to an area, they have to as new infrastructure (assuming that's what you mean by "services and conveniences") is built to support the increase in population... But don't forget that places like LI will continue to see the tax increases regardless with the same rundown infrastructure that they can't even afford to repair.
Excellent post!
Someone has to pay of those government salaries/benefits/pensions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 AM

373 posts, read 710,732 times
Anyone can move here for any reason they want. If they do move here knowing they are or will be jobless thats ok too. AS LONG AS THEY DONT EXSPECT TO GET A DIME FROM THE TAXPAYERS ...NO SOCIAL AID. NO WELFARE, NO FOOD STAMPS ETC..We can not welcome destitute people here because we are already overfilled....So yes indeed you need a way to fully support yourself if you move here....Vagrants need not apply! There is your answer and a very good one if I say so myself.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Per the example in the OP, the "unlivable" taxes are not due to "services and conveniences"... The insane taxes are due to unsustainable salaries, benefits, and pensions for the municipal employees (i.e. cops and teachers). If you looked at a property tax bill from LI, you'd understand better.

This is not to say that taxes won't increase as transplants move to an area, they have to as new infrastructure (assuming that's what you mean by "services and conveniences") is built to support the increase in population... But don't forget that places like LI will continue to see the tax increases regardless with the same rundown infrastructure that they can't even afford to repair.
Uh...I actually live in Upstate NY...our property taxes are at the same level as those in LI, actually at a higher rate. You are right....the higher taxes overwhelmingly come from budgets of school districts and municipal/state employees.......all of which have developed over the decades as a result of the culture of the state (which is unfortunately dominated by the tastes of those downstate, with little regard for us up here, but I digress that's not the point of this thread) and it's voters/ people. The idea the responsibility/blame of the higher tax burden in NY state falls on soley on the riefyed "government" is ridiculous and is being proven unreliable by the increasing COL and tax burden in places where NY'ers flee too. I lived in Raleigh for 13 years and saw it happen there as the huge migration started in the late 90's/early 2000's and it sounds like from this thread similar things have happened in Charlotte. When the Dutch founded New Amsterdam in the 1600's....they actually didn't mandate that the new city, colony, and future state that would come from it would have a high tax burden and higher COL than most of the rest of the US. Neither did the state government when it ratified the constitution in 1788 and became a state.

As far as moving without a job goes....I don't see why anyone would do that moving anywhere with the state of the national economy as it is now. Doesn't Charlotte have an unemployment rate that is higher than the US average anyways? Obviously it's a very different story for retired folks, but otherwise I don't see why someone would move someplace with high unemployment without a secured source of income first.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
Anyone can move here for any reason they want. If they do move here knowing they are or will be jobless thats ok too. AS LONG AS THEY DONT EXSPECT TO GET A DIME FROM THE TAXPAYERS ...NO SOCIAL AID. NO WELFARE, NO FOOD STAMPS ETC..We can not welcome destitute people here because we are already overfilled....So yes indeed you need a way to fully support yourself if you move here....Vagrants need not apply! There is your answer and a very good one if I say so myself.
destitute people rarely move....

Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can see your scenarios, Pink, if you own a home and are paying those high taxes. But I would venture that the majority of folks we have asking about coming with no job (and this is since 2008) are not homeowners - they are apartment renters. People are coming with no money in the bank. The typical situation is - they are getting UE and think it is so much cheaper to live here.

That ain't much of a plan, IMHO. Let's say - I would never do it unless I literally hated where I lived, had no support system there, so nothing to really "lose" in the move. I especially wouldn't move anywhere without having visited many times. But that is just me.
I see your point Ani as well. But, remember for every house/building in NY that has high taxes.....those rents are high. So the renter says "I can't afford these rents, I'll go to CLT". If you go on Craigs list "Apts wanted" look at what they are willing to pay in CLT or Sav and then compare to NYC.
The problem is all tied togther.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
^^^^^ It's easy for you and I to say" I won't do it". Of course I wouldn't and have stated that for a couple of years now.

Let's put ourselfs in THEIR position and consider my OP and why I think that perhaps there are NO other options for them. We need to look at it from this viewwpoint....not what Ani and Pink would do at our stage of life.

These are desparate times. The sad part of is CLT won't get the creme of the crop.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I see your point Ani as well. But, remember for every house/building in NY that has high taxes.....those rents are high. So the renter says "I can't afford these rents, I'll go to CLT". If you go on Craigs list "Apts wanted" look at what they are willing to pay in CLT or Sav and then compare to NYC.
The problem is all tied togther.
Very good point. But remember - we have had folks come here who came out of rent controlled apartments - and their rent was not higher here - who then have posted they couldn't find a job and needed to go back to NY - but now had lost their rent-controlled apartment - so were stuck.

In addition, folks get higher $$ vouchers in NYC, bring them down here assuming they can get something really really nice using those higher dollar vouchers (and they can! when there are properties available!) . . . but if they end up on a waiting list, oh my. Where does the rent payment come from then? This is happening more and more here. Then it is a line straight to social services . . . and the money is gone . . . the budget is bleeding red.

So there are many variables that could make this move without work into a nightmare scenario.

But to look at the positive . . . we have also had folks post that they came here with very little possessions and a UE check they were getting monthly . . . got an apartment cheaper than they were paying "back home," and then found work (even if low paying) within two months. And we have had them say they were still unemployed after six months, but their UE checks were definitely going further here in Charlotte than in their former city.

I think if you are in a very high dollar COL area . . . then maybe coming here could work as opposed to trying to live off an UE check in NYC. But as far as getting a job sooner here than in some other city . . . I dunno, Pink. All depends on skill set, field of employment, years of experience . . .

Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
^^^^^ It's easy for you and I to say" I won't do it". Of course I wouldn't and have stated that for a couple of years now.

Let's put ourselfs in THEIR position and consider my OP and why I think that perhaps there are NO other options for them. We need to look at it from this viewwpoint....not what Ani and Pink would do at our stage of life.

These are desparate times. The sad part of is CLT won't get the creme of the crop.
That's the point no one wants to realize...

You would think people are jumping on the bus and riding into Charlotte with dreams of making it big like it's NYC or LA.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That's the point no one wants to realize...

You would think people are jumping on the bus and riding into Charlotte with dreams of making it big like it's NYC or LA.
No one is missing the point at all. No one is thinking that folks are coming here to hit it big, make their mark, etc. they are coming b/c they have heard Charlotte is cheaper and they read reports from 2006 saying there are lots of jobs here . . .or they have read jobs are currently opening here.

What they don't understand is that Charlotte was seeing over 17k new jobs (net) in this city annually prior to the bust in 2008. I would suspect the whole state hasn't seen a net gain of 17k jobs a year since 2008.

So the job situation is totally different than it was a few years ago. I quit telling folks to be careful b/c no one listened, anyway, lol. I figured - why be accused of being unwelcoming to potential new residents out of genuine concern for their futures when they already had their minds made up. Not my problem if they end up living out of their cars.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM

748 posts, read 1,772,033 times
+1 +1 Mikey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte