Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
There's a difference between moving somewhere with a Pension and moving somewhere with no source of income. Also, I fail to see how moving somewhere without a job is going to be any better then living where you currently are without a job. The endgame is still the same.

Besides, why are people so obsessed with property taxes. I wonder what it's like living a life where property taxes dictate my life decisions...
You don't get the big deal about an approximate $1000 per month difference in real estate taxes per month??? For someone on a pension it can mean the difference between eating and having utilities, or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
You don't get the big deal about an approximate $1000 per month difference in real estate taxes per month??? For someone on a pension it can mean the difference between eating and having utilities, or not...

This is kinda the numbers game I had in mind with the OP. All a question of survival. Yoy're not going to stop them from coming and being put on your social service roll.

Remember the children's game "Musical Chairs"?
"Hey, I got a chair, you go stand in the corner and think about the $12,000 tax bill due March1." It certainly is not high math. lol

Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM

116 posts, read 255,881 times
The 10 Worst States for Retirees in 2012

No. 8: New York.
Make no mistake about it, the higher the cost of living, the lower your potential standard of living. For his research, Brady awarded states with the highest cost of living one negative point. “Surprisingly, New York did not earn any negative points for income taxes, since it offers generous exemptions for Social Security, pensions, along with a high standard deduction,” Brady said. It is, however, an expensive place to live; it ranks as the fourth costliest state in the country just behind Hawaii, Washington, D.C., and Alaska.

The 10 Worst States for Retirees in 2012 - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-worst-states-retirees-2012-050106199.html - broken link)

Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
well i'm in the position where my husband is going to be laid off in NJ anyway. so he has to look as it is. we shall see... scared to do the leap but when our lease is up if he doesn't have a job, we might go for it. yup, we're crazy.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 PM

194 posts, read 431,083 times
Go for it! I moved here without a job ...found one in 3 days....my hubby has changed his job twice in the 1 year and 3 months we have been here. We are both professionals and college educated. Either way there are jobs, you may have to settle at first...but there are definetly jobs. My friend works at a staffing company and cant find enough candidates to fill his jobs. We have bought our first home and settled in very well here and have a baby on the way. Just take the risk!!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I know you don't want to hear this but I'm not so sure that the advise of "don't come here without a job" is valid. There are a couple of threads in play right now that have swayed my opinion in a different direction. Let me explain.

Let's say you are a homeowner on Long Island NY paying $12000-17000 in taxes. You live in a basic house built in the 80's or 90's. You are about to get a pension from the police or fire department after 20 years of service. That's big bux. Your kids have left the house and they are living in Brooklyn or Queens. You can get $500K for your house and buy for $250. You're not interested in cultural events more than twice a year in Manhattan if that.

OR

You're in your 40's. Couple of kids and you have been out of work for the past 18 months. Can't find work as an auto mechanic, factory worker, city employee, car salesmen. Taxes in Suffolk county are out of sight. School term ends in a few months.

Why not cut your loses short meaning cut your taxes by 75% and make the move of looking for the same job in CLT with an greatly reduced monthly nut?

Let's face it a house at this point (no employment) is simply a roof over your head in case it rains. You need to eat. Send your kids to school.

SAo what does "don't come here without a job" mean to you? Self serving to those in Clt? Or are you just another person trying to survive in historical times in America?

Your thoughts?
What you, and so many where you are, don't seem to realize is: there are other places besides Long Island and Charlotte! I see post after post saying basically "I can't stand LI so I'm coming to Charlotte, job or no job". There are 48 other states out there are are "not Long Island"; I don't know why it is so ingrained that "when you leave LI, you must go to Charlotte (or at least to NC)"??

Wanting to get away from the high prices and anooyances where you are is of course understandable, but if you don't have a job, you should move where you can find one. The DC and Dallas areas are booming right now, and Dallas i particular is not that different from Charlotte. Why would you deliberately move without a job to a high unemployment area, just "to get away from where you are", when you can move anywhere and do that? You don't have to stay in DC/Dallas/wherever forever--when the economy picks up, and you now have employment history (2 years without a job will not look good on a resume in a high-unempolyment area)m THEN come to Charlotte when you are in a less desperate situation.

All the folks moving here jobless are only adding to the unemployment situation even more, which eventually drains the state money for food stamps, Medicaid, etc as they stay longer and longer with no income. Why do that when there are places with good job markets?

Quote:
Let's put ourselfs in THEIR position and consider my OP and why I think that perhaps there are NO other options for them. We need to look at it from this viewwpoint....not what Ani and Pink would do at our stage of life.
Again, nobody is really faulting OP for wanting to get away from LI--but for choosing Chaarlotte, specifically to come to, when there are so many other places that are both cheaper than NY and have better job markets. What is with this "Pied Piper" phenomenon that makes everyone in NY think NOWHERE but Charlotte (or Raleigh) will do!!" When you need a job, go where the jobs are, not where your dream destination is.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one is missing the point at all. No one is thinking that folks are coming here to hit it big, make their mark, etc. they are coming b/c they have heard Charlotte is cheaper and they read reports from 2006 saying there are lots of jobs here . . .or they have read jobs are currently opening here.

What they don't understand is that Charlotte was seeing over 17k new jobs (net) in this city annually prior to the bust in 2008. I would suspect the whole state hasn't seen a net gain of 17k jobs a year since 2008.

So the job situation is totally different than it was a few years ago. I quit telling folks to be careful b/c no one listened, anyway, lol. I figured - why be accused of being unwelcoming to potential new residents out of genuine concern for their futures when they already had their minds made up. Not my problem if they end up living out of their cars.
but Ani... you keep referencing 2006, 2007, 2008...

the job situation is different EVERYWHERE... and people will move where it's warm, taxes are cheaper or maybe because they have friends who moved down here.

I moved here in the spring of 2010 and I bought my first home EVER in Nov. 2011.

I didn't live out of my car and I didn't need assistance or use up Charlotte's resources.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What you, and so many where you are, don't seem to realize is: there are other places besides Long Island and Charlotte! I see post after post saying basically "I can't stand LI so I'm coming to Charlotte, job or no job". There are 48 other states out there are are "not Long Island"; I don't know why it is so ingrained that "when you leave LI, you must go to Charlotte (or at least to NC)"??

Wanting to get away from the high prices and anooyances where you are is of course understandable, but if you don't have a job, you should move where you can find one. The DC and Dallas areas are booming right now, and Dallas i particular is not that different from Charlotte. Why would you deliberately move without a job to a high unemployment area, just "to get away from where you are", when you can move anywhere and do that? You don't have to stay in DC/Dallas/wherever forever--when the economy picks up, and you now have employment history (2 years without a job will not look good on a resume in a high-unempolyment area)m THEN come to Charlotte when you are in a less desperate situation.

All the folks moving here jobless are only adding to the unemployment situation even more, which eventually drains the state money for food stamps, Medicaid, etc as they stay longer and longer with no income. Why do that when there are places with good job markets?
Are you sure this is the only place they are moving or could it be because this is an NC forum?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
Go for it! I moved here without a job ...found one in 3 days....my hubby has changed his job twice in the 1 year and 3 months we have been here. We are both professionals and college educated. Either way there are jobs, you may have to settle at first...but there are definetly jobs. My friend works at a staffing company and cant find enough candidates to fill his jobs. We have bought our first home and settled in very well here and have a baby on the way. Just take the risk!!

I can't stand when people tell others to stay away like people are coming to live on their couch.

There are jobs.. not the perfect job but decent jobs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM

194 posts, read 431,083 times
There are definetly jobs!! May not be the job you want forever but there are jobs. The first job I took here paid me 60% less than what I used to make but it was still enough to rent an apartment, pay for 2 cars, try all the awesome restaurants here! I have since found a new job, a way better job than I had up North, still doesnt pay as much, but hey the cost of living is so much cheaper!!! Also teh house we live in...It would have been another 10 years until I could have afforded that up North!!As you can see I love it in Charlotte!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte