Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I didn't say anything positive or negative or indifferent about being in a tornado or the effects of one.

the source of my confusion still stands, even after looking up types of tornadoes, thinking maybe there was a tornado called "possible tornado". but since there isn't, I'm trying to figure out how something that happened in the past is 'possible'...it either WAS....or WASN'T....a tornado. that's all I'm sayin.
When a tornado occurs there can be wind damage & tornado damage in close proximity. Experts are sent out to examine the damage & make determinations of which kind of damage it is. Until it's been examined, it's possible tornado damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Absolutely correct info you all have posted. NOAA officials, I believe, deem whether or not it was "wind sheer" or some other storm related phenomena ("high winds") as opposed to an actual tornado.

If you notice, at the time I posted (5:44) I was actually watching the radar and saw what I thought was a bow echo formation. I immediately grabbed my iPad to start a post, even tho no announcement had been officially made. The actual alert came in (5:46). So I was watching what I felt was tornadic activity . . . therefore, I feel the damage WAS caused by a tornado/es . . . but I ain't NOAA, lol. It doesn't matter what we amateurs "think" happened . . . NOAA/NWS has to determine what it was. This has to do with disaster management and I would think - any subsequent FEMA involvement. Am just guessing on that . . . but it seems logical.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Here's part of the problem. Most tornado warnings are false alarms.

Until the science improves (like it has w/hurricane warnings), you will always have a good number of people who will say "cry wolf" and not take these seriously.

Should you ignore the warnings? Absolutely not. We have seen what happens (in the worst case scenerio)when people ignore warnings and they come to fruition. I just hope science speeds up the process on how to close the gap on the uncertainty of forecasting actual tornadoes...
Most tornado warnings are most definitely not false alarms. Nowadays storms are tornado warned based on radar. That may or may not mean that the tornado makes it to the ground, or stays formed for a long period of time, but it's still a tornadic signature on radar.

Issuing a tornado warning has nothing to do with forecasting tornadoes.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Most tornado warnings are most definitely not false alarms. Nowadays storms are tornado warned based on radar. That may or may not mean that the tornado makes it to the ground, or stays formed for a long period of time, but it's still a tornadic signature on radar.

Issuing a tornado warning has nothing to do with forecasting tornadoes.
When I said 'false alarm' I meant how many actual tornadoes make it to the ground vs. # of warnings.

I don't have the actual data in front of me but the percentage that make it to the ground were pretty low overall.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
When I said 'false alarm' I meant how many actual tornadoes make it to the ground vs. # of warnings.

I don't have the actual data in front of me but the percentage that make it to the ground were pretty low overall.
Yes, when living in KS . . . we would know to be paying attention when under a watch - as soon as those sirens sounded, and it changed to a warning, we hit the basement. This could happen several times in a week. It was routine; kids were taught as children and in school - you hear a siren, you find a basement . . . in a car, you get to a safe area IMMEDIATELY.

All those years, we never had a tornado touch down closer than 1/2 mile - and it was very small - tore up the ground - didn't really hit anything of importance. We had one go OVER our house one evening - but again - the whole point is - that was a "real" tornado but it didn't touch down, thank God.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, when living in KS . . . we would know to be paying attention when under a watch - as soon as those sirens sounded, and it changed to a warning, we hit the basement. This could happen several times in a week. It was routine; kids were taught as children and in school - you hear a siren, you find a basement . . . in a car, you get to a safe area IMMEDIATELY.

All those years, we never had a tornado touch down closer than 1/2 mile - and it was very small - tore up the ground - didn't really hit anything of importance. We had one go OVER our house one evening - but again - the whole point is - that was a "real" tornado but it didn't touch down, thank God.
In SW lower Michigan, we were also well-trained concerning the sirens. One afternoon my mother called to us to come up from the basement, to the back door & see a distant tornado so that we'd know what they looked like & what they sound like. The next day she got a call from some people who my parents knew that the tornado had touched down across the road from their farm. They said to come out for a visit so that my sister & I could see the damage. It was a wooded area & no property was damaged. It's very distictive.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Quote:
Here's part of the problem. Most tornado warnings are false alarms.

Until the science improves (like it has w/hurricane warnings), you will always have a good number of people who will say "cry wolf" and not take these seriously.

Should you ignore the warnings? Absolutely not. We have seen what happens (in the worst case scenerio)when people ignore warnings and they come to fruition. I just hope science speeds up the process on how to close the gap on the uncertainty of forecasting actual tornadoes...
True.
Our neighbor leaves her trailer and comes to our basement when there is a tornado warning or watch. She's been teased by friends and family, but everyone was glad she was safe in our home last night when the tornado hit hers. You never know.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I didn't say anything positive or negative or indifferent about being in a tornado or the effects of one.

the source of my confusion still stands, even after looking up types of tornadoes, thinking maybe there was a tornado called "possible tornado". but since there isn't, I'm trying to figure out how something that happened in the past is 'possible'...it either WAS....or WASN'T....a tornado. that's all I'm sayin.
At the risk of just you trolling us, I'll try to frame it for you... Think of it like a "possible murder". Just because there's a body, doesn't mean it was a murder. Likewise, just because there is significant damage, it doesn't mean it actually was a tornado. So until an expert verifies it (similar to how the police will investigate a death), you consider it a "possible tornado" even shortly after the event.

Severe weather alone (not just an actual tornado) can cause significant damage.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
I'll take this opportunity to once again share with my friends the Weather Underground Wundermap...

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

The right side pane has many fascinating options including severe weather to see the watches/warnings among other things. It's an awesome tool.

Specific to this thread, under "NEXRAD Radar" I select "Storm Tracks" and put in my address in the search on the top. What this shows you is the specific cells, their relative strength, direction, and speed in relation to your home. The cones will show you if a cell is heading your way and approximately how long you have before that specific cell (i.e. Tornado Vortex Signature) reaches your house or immediate area.

Storm Tracks
Tornado Vortex Signature
Mesocyclone
Hail
Storm

Movement

I highly recommend using this tool.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'll take this opportunity to once again share with my friends the Weather Underground Wundermap...

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

The right side pane has many fascinating options including severe weather to see the watches/warnings among other things. It's an awesome tool.

Specific to this thread, under "NEXRAD Radar" I select "Storm Tracks" and put in my address in the search on the top. What this shows you is the specific cells, their relative strength, direction, and speed in relation to your home. The cones will show you if a cell is heading your way and approximately how long you have before that specific cell (i.e. Tornado Vortex Signature) reaches your house or immediate area.

Storm Tracks
Tornado Vortex Signature
Mesocyclone
Hail
Storm

Movement

I highly recommend using this tool.
Mikey, you are awesome. Sending a big ole hug. You know how I worry about folks not taking these warnings seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte