Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
True.
Our neighbor leaves her trailer and comes to our basement when there is a tornado warning or watch. She's been teased by friends and family, but everyone was glad she was safe in our home last night when the tornado hit hers. You never know.
Oh my. Anyone who is so ignorant as to make fun is someone who is vulnerable when dangerous weather threatens us. I commend you for making sure your neighbor has a better place to retreat to than taking a chance on staying in a potentially unsafe environment. You are a good neighbor, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Mickey, you are awesome. Sending a big ole hug. You know how I worry about folks not taking these warnings seriously.
he called me a troll, so he's not that awesome

Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM

468 posts, read 826,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post

Well,....... maybe he is just wonderful then.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Awwww. Sending you big hugs, Eman. Your sense of humor is sometimes lost in text, lol. ((((Eman)))

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Well,....... maybe he is just wonderful then.
And so are you, RoadTraveler, lol.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
I did NOT! I just said I wasn't sure if you were trolling by intentionally misunderstanding what 4 or 5 people were trying to explain to you. LOL

So - now do you understand how it can be a "possible tornado" hours after the incident and before an expert analyzes the data?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I did NOT! I just said I wasn't sure if you were trolling by intentionally misunderstanding what 4 or 5 people were trying to explain to you. LOL

So - now do you understand how it can be a "possible tornado" hours after the incident and before an expert analyzes the data?
I have a better understanding, but not based on your murder theory. if someone sees someone shoot and kill someone, it's murder. if a dead body is found, it needs research to prove what happened, and until then it's a possible murder (although 'possible' other things as well).

as someone who's never been in a tornado, I'm thinking that the big gigantic white tunnel that extends hundreds of feet from the sky to the ground that rips houses apart and that people can see for hundreds of miles away....IS a tornado, not a possible tornado.

either way, I aint no troll and Ani is awesome no matter what.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
I have a better understanding, but not based on your murder theory. if someone sees someone shoot and kill someone, it's murder. if a dead body is found, it needs research to prove what happened, and until then it's a possible murder (although 'possible' other things as well).

as someone who's never been in a tornado, I'm thinking that the big gigantic white tunnel that extends hundreds of feet from the sky to the ground that rips houses apart and that people can see for hundreds of miles away....IS a tornado, not a possible tornado.

We agree on ani! But, you can't see a tornado from hundreds of miles away! lol

In fact, often you can't see the "white tunnel" at all. More often then not the conditions that make a tornado are at the tail end of a severe cell producing insane rain and hail... you won't see the monster coming behind it because your vision is blocked by the thunderstorm in front of it. Additionally, a tornado will often only touch down for a very short period of time and it's rare they stay on the ground long. All this combined with the general unpredictable nature of weather makes it hard to give people advance warning and even after a storm passes, they won't know immediately if it was an actual tornado. So like a "possible murder" or "possible deadly accident" looking at a body... you have a "possible tornado" or a "possible very strong storm cell"... It's not always like you see on TV with clear skies all around you and this lone funnel running across the ground.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:

The time that I saw a tornado it was dark gray. That was in tornado alley, & they can pop up. My sister & I were in the basement & my mother was closing up bafore going to the basement when she saw it. It was moving away from us, so she called to us to come & see it. We lost sight of it in a couple of minutes. The place that we went to to see where it touched down was maybe 15 or 20 miles away. It was a very small area.

Tornadoes can come in many sizes, too. I remember one time that a small funnel went down a street in Philadelphia. It didn't do any significant damage, even to cars parked on the street.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The time that I saw a tornado it was dark gray. That was in tornado alley, & they can pop up. My sister & I were in the basement & my mother was closing up bafore going to the basement when she saw it. It was moving away from us, so she called to us to come & see it. We lost sight of it in a couple of minutes. The place that we went to to see where it touched down was maybe 15 or 20 miles away. It was a very small area.

Tornadoes can come in many sizes, too. I remember one time that a small funnel went down a street in Philadelphia. It didn't do any significant damage, even to cars parked on the street.
That's why it's important to take all warnings seriously, and why there are no false alarms when it comes to tornado warnings. If there is a tornadic signature on radar, a tornado could drop at any time.

That being said, I miss having lots of big storms. The storms here are small and far between compared to the ones I experienced in Ohio, SC and Florida. I enjoy a good storm, as long as nobody gets hurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte