Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
and why there are no false alarms when it comes to tornado warnings. If there is a tornadic signature on radar, a tornado could drop at any time.

!
Have to disagree with you there because many times tornado warnings get posted and since in most cases tornadoes don't touch down, there is no significant damage. We also don't have the technology unfortunately to distinguish which storms are going to be tornadic or not.

That's why alot of people don't take tornado warnings very seriously. (Some do, but alot don't)...

Doppler Radar does a nice job, and also the NWS relies on "spotters" to help determine if tornadoes are in the area.

By no means am I advocating ignorning warnings. You should ALWAYS take a warning seriously, but there are alot of false alarms if you get down to the nuts and bolts of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Have to disagree with you there because many times tornado warnings get posted and since in most cases tornadoes don't touch down, there is no significant damage. We also don't have the technology unfortunately to distinguish which storms are going to be tornadic or not.

That's why alot of people don't take tornado warnings very seriously. (Some do, but alot don't)...

Doppler Radar does a nice job, and also the NWS relies on "spotters" to help determine if tornadoes are in the area.

By no means am I advocating ignorning warnings. You should ALWAYS take a warning seriously, but there are alot of false alarms if you get down to the nuts and bolts of it.
A tornado warning is issued when there is doppler indicated rotation. That means a tornado could drop from the storm at any moment. Trained spotters help to find tornadoes that make it to the ground, but that doesn't make a tornado warning any less real.

I think I understand what you are saying about the science part, but the rest of the point I'll have to agree to disagree. (Though I think we may actually be arguing the same point...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte