Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,837,881 times

Advertisements

It's none of my business, (and I don't even live in NC, lol) but I think that $850 spent on private riding lessons would be a better investment and much more beneficial, so far as developing actual riding skills is concerned. The riding camp seems more like fun and entertainment, to me. If a 1-hour private lesson costs $40, then $850 can buy at least 20 lessons.

You could try asking (or searching) at HGS forum http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/ whether or not anyone has heard of or dealt with the place. Post it in Off Topic and see if anyone chimes in. that board is national and gets a lot of readers. Also try NC board http://forum.nchorsenews.com/

If you are looking for used tack or riding attire, there's a big tack sale coming up Feb 24-26 http://www.equestrianexchange.com/Charlotte.html

No affiliation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,235 times
All good points... thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,985,310 times
.......... I am blown away at the way you continue to ignore the many warning signs that these experienced riders are pointing out to you. You asked local riders thier opinion and recieved several negative responses, yet you continue to ignore these red flags or worse yet, dispute them. You go on to say that you are not concerned about your daughters sleeping arrangements but hope the horses are safe. Wake up!!!
I am not a rider, but after reading these responses from locals who are... I would run, not walk to the next camp. Just saying..............

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,370,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
.......... I am blown away at the way you continue to ignore the many warning signs that these experienced riders are pointing out to you. You asked local riders thier opinion and recieved several negative responses, yet you continue to ignore these red flags or worse yet, dispute them. You go on to say that you are not concerned about your daughters sleeping arrangements but hope the horses are safe. Wake up!!!
I am not a rider, but after reading these responses from locals who are... I would run, not walk to the next camp. Just saying..............
Doorway, i have read and re-read the thread. I dont see this mother ifnoring our comments at all. Matter of fact, she just thanked everyone for their input. Get off your soap box, please.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,235 times
Thank you for sticking up for me Shorty! Of course I'm not ignoring or disputing anyone here. Just looking for opinions, or experience with this camp. You aught to relax. I was asking and then providing any additional I had. Of course I'm not going to put my daughter in a dangerous situation, and I'm actually offended. You don't know me or how I parent my kids or anything else about me. I was inquiring, which is what this forum is about.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,985,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Doorway, i have read and re-read the thread. I dont see this mother ifnoring our comments at all. Matter of fact, she just thanked everyone for their input. Get off your soap box, please.
Good Morning Lil Shorty. It seems I've confused you. Please go back and re- read the posts you claim to have read and look for passages such as.... I have been riding competatively for 20 years and am concerned that this websit has dreadful links that don't even work . Or...
I can't find any info on the name of the owner or anything about the experience or qualifications of the instructors.

Another poster suggested that the site seemed staged and full of photos that were not of the actual horses on the farm where the camp would be held. Sandycat defensively posted that he/she already knew this and was able to tell us how the staging took place!!

Post # 7 warned "proceed with caution"

Undoubtably, the most upsetting post was the one where the poster was concerned that there was very little information available on the staff that would be supervising the children after camp hours. This is an entirely different staff than the one mentione above!!! You see Lil Shorty.... Among other concerns, very little info ( backround checks, CPR certification, fingerprints etc...) is available on the people that will be running this camp or worse yet..... Supervising Sandycat's daughter during off hours and through the night!!!!!
Sandycat is a parent. Being a parent myself, I can not begin to understand why she would ignore these red flags from people who took the time to write to her.
That was the reason for my post. I assume you are not a parent? I am not on a soap box, lil one. What is your interest in this post?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,370,954 times
I'm very sorry that you are assuming anything... we both know how that saying goes. If you had even read my post, it would be obvious I am a parent. I think she was asking appropriate questions, adn when given an answer, proceeded with more questions- which most intelligent people would. My interest in this post is simply because I am a horse owner. I have run into people like you in my day, where if your word isnt taken as gospel, it seems as though someone must be insulting you. On the other hand, I think the OP was simply giving all of her thoughts to us to understand her perspective. Had she said "yes, i know, but i really dont have options" or "I hear that, but I want to send her here" then i could see your post being usseful. Otherwise you just sound ignorant. Of course, you proved that when assuming I'm not a parent.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM

72 posts, read 174,431 times
Ask for references.

Also, if it is the Ark she is using to hold the camp, contact that facility and ask to come tour and see if you feel comfortable with the safety of their facility. It is Why Not an American Ark and it's in Monroe, NC. They host a number of equestrian events there throughout the year so they welcome visitors.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times
As someone who has gone to camp at thunderbay, leg up and fox point... and also competed at the ark...
Leg Up is where she'll learn the most (although if you're looking for an overnight, I'm pretty sure they don't do those)
Fox Point is where she'll have the most fun (because basically she'll get to do whatever she feels comfortable with)
Thunderbay is where she'll get a good, organized foundation and practice the skills she's clearly capable of... that's if it's still run by a woman named Deb (it's been a few years since I last was there)

I was a student in all of these stables years ago and have been a camp instructor myself and I honestly think the money is well spent for the overnight horsey experience. I suggest setting up a trial lesson at whichever horse stable you think fits best for your daughter (go see them all if you want) and listen to their teaching (or horse education) philosophy. That will tell you a lot more about the trainers priorities and experience than uninformed people who are guessing at a homemade website

Good luck... if your daughter sticks with riding, the road ahead is going to be a learning experience for you but it'll change her life (in the best way)!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM

30 posts, read 74,228 times
My daughter rode at Thunderbay Academy from January 2012 to May 2012. The owner, Deb, is a very nice lady and the prices are very reasonable compared to other places in the area ($135.00 per hour/group vs. $225 per hour/group). Unfortunately, you do get what you pay for. This is a full farm with other animals on site besides the horses (donkeys, chickens and goats). The main covered riding ring is nothing more than a huge corrugated shed with shredded tires as flooring material. The barn is in a general state of disrepair (construction materials left around, broken items like crops and buckets littering the area) and animal droppings are everywhere. The smell is quite overpowering on hot days. Sanitation and cleanliness are definitely not a priority. The lesson horses are old and look to be in decline. One of the older horses was doing very poorly when we arrived one day. Deb and one of the trainers were trying to keep him upright in the ring, leading him around. At no point did I see a Vet attend to any of the animals. Our trainer, Tiffany, was also very nice but the class my daughter was in (8-12 yo) had been taking lessons there for over a year and could not even steer the horse. After giving them four months and not seeing any progress, we went to another place which we feel is a much better place for us.

And, just to settle the question posed about the website, the pictures used ARE NOT actual pictures of the Thunderbay facilities. They are stock photos. The owner does have actual pictures and bios of the horses but they do appear to be several years old.

Last edited by Snooziesue; 08-28-2012 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Timed out while writing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte