Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,848 times

Advertisements

I have a jacuzzi tub now in our master and had one in our last house. I have used it once and would careless if it was gone. BUT I have a friend who removed a garden tub from the master and put in an awesome doorless walk in shower and is now trying to sell the house. Every feedback they have received from the numerous showings questions no bath tub in the master and not one mention of how nice the shower is. If you ever plan to sell the house I would not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,492 times
well the master is on the second floor too, and my kids started taking showers young. The tub in the master is a corner tub (no jets we had those at our last house and we did not really use that either other than to bathe the kids) They liked being in the deeper tub and I liked being able to sit up on the side better. Not sure we ever used a bathtub in the full bath upstairs ever, shower yes tub no. That is some of why I am asking.

In this house I will add though it's not really deep compared to our old corner jetted tub but that is probably a jet issue and this one doesn't have them.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 AM

I think I just don't care for the tub/shower combo but the room isn't big enough to have one of each

Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
If a second bathroom upstairs, the kids bathroom, has a tub, you are good to go.

If your home is a "starter" home, most likely to be purchased by younger people if/when you resell you might minimally exclude some buyers without a tub in the master.

If your home is likely to be purchased by anyone other than very young first timers, a nice shower, IMHO, would enhance value as folks realize, sooner or later, that baths are few and far between.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
The latest builder trends are that folks are doing larger and nicer showers and often eliminating bathtubs in master baths.

If they do have a bathtub - a soaking tub is the new trend, not a jacuzzi/jetted tub. For one thing, those things take a lot of water to fill up.

A soaking tub is more economical, as far as space, water use and with good insulation, the water stays hotter longer.

Having a tub for kids seems to be a feature that is still needed, so if you have a tub elsewhere in the house . . . you will actually be on the cutting edge of what I believe to be a lasting trend - nicely outfitted shower and no tub in the master bath.

How important is a bathtub to your home? - The Buzz: Business news - Capital Region business, industry news - timesunion.com - Albany NY

No Tub? No Problem

http://www.housingzone.com/design/wh...-want-new-home (scroll down - on checklist - "no tub in master bath")

Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The latest builder trends are that folks are doing larger and nicer showers and often eliminating bathtubs in master baths.

If they do have a bathtub - a soaking tub is the new trend, not a jacuzzi/jetted tub. For one thing, those things take a lot of water to fill up.

A soaking tub is more economical, as far as space, water use and with good insulation, the water stays hotter longer.

Having a tub for kids seems to be a feature that is still needed, so if you have a tub elsewhere in the house . . . you will actually be on the cutting edge of what I believe to be a lasting trend - nicely outfitted shower and no tub in the master bath.

How important is a bathtub to your home? - The Buzz: Business news - Capital Region business, industry news - timesunion.com - Albany NY

No Tub? No Problem

What millennials want in a new home | Housing Zone (scroll down - on checklist - "no tub in master bath")
Not sure why everyone changed what I said in the original question we have a tub in the master bedroom a soaking corner tub no jets. I want to DITCH the tub/shower combo in the upstairs full bath and make it shower only. Doyou think this will hurt resale eventually? (the shower in the master is huge with the tub so no problems there) Just trying to open up the full bath off the hallway upstairs

Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,436 times
Livability wise, I would choose the larger shower over a tub/shower combo. We always bathed the kids in the tub in the master bath. Now they are older, they never take baths.

What else is going on in that bath - two sinks? Lots of storage? Will it seem like a bath meant for teens to share? That would really be a selling feature for me!

However...I would think twice because of resale. Buyers might not care, but they will also be thinking about resale.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Livability wise, I would choose the larger shower over a tub/shower combo. We always bathed the kids in the tub in the master bath. Now they are older, they never take baths.

What else is going on in that bath - two sinks? Lots of storage? Will it seem like a bath meant for teens to share? That would really be a selling feature for me!

However...I would think twice because of resale. Buyers might not care, but they will also be thinking about resale.
true...it has little storage in there and it does have a double sink but with no counter space and soon 3 teens...my son seems to opt for our bath not sharing with his sisters but thats okay...I think a nice shower withe better room for stuff and storage would be a [plus for me just wondering if it would be a plus for the next people. Especially if the bathroom is more livable that way..that bathroom obviously did not sell me this house and it is far from ideal. More to think through but thanks for the thoughts

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 AM

763 posts, read 821,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
When looking at a house you should sit on all of the toilets and get in the tubs and showers to see if you fit or are unobstructed. Is it functional? Builders/howmeowners will put anything in that looks nice. I saw an elognated toilet in a small powder room that when I sat on it my legs where
under the pedistal sink! Ok I'm thinking, I can shave and pooooop at the same time. This could be really innovate the routine of S,S & Shave. Now we have S&S2.
And don't forget, it is always wise to use the bidet to make sure it is functional as well. That being said, I must go shoot myself from the visual you have created.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM

763 posts, read 821,946 times
I believe that it is not considered a full bath if there is no bathtub and just a shower. It is considered a 1/2 bath if my memories of real estate research serve me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: