Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,861 times

Advertisements

I need to get away from the city for a bit and read some books. Are there any vacation spots, resorts, or professionally run places that you would recommend? Im looking for a rustic log cabin with a fireplace, but something that requires little thinking to view photos and book. I am lazy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Also, is there anywhere I can find snow this time of year?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
Google "Fontana Village" and you should find what you're looking for. Remote, scenic, and they have lots of styles of cabins and a big lodge to choose from. Fontana Lake is there also, with some nice hideaways and scenic areas to visit and relax. Not typical "mountain resort" area as in Boone or Grandfather Mountain, it is farther south and situated in a valley with mountains surrounding it.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
This is a long haul for the weekend, but I have stayed in one of these and they are truly awesome.

Vacationrentals.com 2 bedroom Cabin sleeps 6 in Dillard, Georgia - Upscale log cabins on creek near Nantahala Wilderness Area

It is a long way, but worth it. I have met another person, by chance, that stayed in another of the four cabins, and they too were totally impressed.

When I think of a cabin in the mountains, this fits the bill.

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Google "Fontana Village" and you should find what you're looking for. Remote, scenic, and they have lots of styles of cabins and a big lodge to choose from. Fontana Lake is there also, with some nice hideaways and scenic areas to visit and relax. Not typical "mountain resort" area as in Boone or Grandfather Mountain, it is farther south and situated in a valley with mountains surrounding it.
This is a little too new construction for me, I was picturing something rustic, truly built from logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
This is a long haul for the weekend, but I have stayed in one of these and they are truly awesome.

Vacationrentals.com 2 bedroom Cabin sleeps 6 in Dillard, Georgia - Upscale log cabins on creek near Nantahala Wilderness Area

It is a long way, but worth it. I have met another person, by chance, that stayed in another of the four cabins, and they too were totally impressed.

When I think of a cabin in the mountains, this fits the bill.

Good Luck
This is closer to what I was thinking, thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
This is a little too new construction for me, I was picturing something rustic, truly built from logs.

This is closer to what I was thinking, thanks
The more I thnk about it, there is no way you will not love these cabins. They are all similar, but different. The one we stayed in had a loft, with sprial staircase and a huge stuffed bear. Master was on ground floor. Again, really really nice. I think we spent three nights. It has been a while, but they look the same. Again, good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM

I think I am going to go for something in the smokey mountains, I found some websites that have many listings. I think I will be ok from here, thanks!!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
A friend has used this:

Pigeon Forge Cabins | Gatlinburg Cabins | Smoky Mountain Cabin Rentals, Pigeon Forge TN

many times and really likes them.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Springmaid Mountain at Spruce Pine NC has rental cabins. We like the big front porch with rocking chairs overlooking the North Toe River and the fireplaces.

Leroy Springs & Company, Inc | Springmaid Mountain

We prefer Maggie Valley and usually find a cabin through VRBO.

Maggie Valley Cabins for Rent, Maggie Valley Lodging North Carolina, Rentals by Owner Maggie Valley NC (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/north-carolina/smoky-mountains/maggie-valley - broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
We stayed at Willow winds in asheville last year and loved it.
Luxury Vacation Rentals - Asheville Cabins of Willow Winds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte