Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 PM

105 posts, read 111,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Hello C/D family. My girlfriend and I are planning a wedding and trying to do so on a budget. If you know of any caterers that offer reasonable prices that will help. Also, wedding planners will be nice as well. Pretty much if you any advice or contacts for everything that will be nice. We're looking at 200 people for the reception. Thanks to all who can assist.
If you want a good start for your marriage, don't go into debt for the wedding.

If either person doesn't agree not to go in debt for the wedding, that is a good indication for a bad marriage.

The wedding isn't a big deal, the marriage is.

Tradition is ignorant, don't waste money on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k28mas View Post
If you want a good start for your marriage, don't go into debt for the wedding.

If either person doesn't agree not to go in debt for the wedding, that is a good indication for a bad marriage.

The wedding isn't a big deal, the marriage is.

Tradition is ignorant, don't waste money on it.
The OP never indicated he would go in debt for a wedding reception. He came seeking suggestions for venues and vendors. The OP can spend, or in your opinion---waste, money however he chooses. I agree, people should have the receptions they want AND can afford, but that's not really the topic here.

OP check out some of the suggestions I made and see if any fit the bill. You can do everything you want for $7000 if you select your vendors carefully. Also, try Harris Teeter for flowers. I met/talked to a couple florists and we're just going to go with Teeter for their good prices. The florist at our local Teeter has been in the business for 30 years so we trust her to do a good job.

Good luck planning!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
But, if it is a financial burdan to have that big of a wedding, my point is - just don't do it. $100 per person for catering alone sounds obscene. Elope, have a small wedding with a coctail recpetion later, enlist the talents of friends, go with a small new company who will work for less for the exposure, etc.
I agree with this. But the point is, as far as weddings are concerned, for 150 people $7000 is not "that big of a wedding," in fact it is pretty much the bottom of the barrell. So yeah, you may be better off not having a wedding at all or just inviting your closest friends and family than spending $7000 to have 150 people hang out in your backyard (and it probably still would cost that much).

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
The legality of a marriage is not based on spending a certain amount or having a reception. The solid foundation of a marriage is also not based on how fancy or elaborate or tacky or simple or whatever a wedding is.

You (and hopefully your fiance) have decided that getting married must include a catered reception, etc. etc. etc. That's fine and a completely personal decision. Just remember, it is just one day, though, out of a hopefully long time together. If it is stretching all your resources to have that big day just the way you want it, will you be in a position to handle all the other big days financially that are still in store?
I agree whole heartedly that it's all about love, trust, and devotion. Nobody was discussing that their marriage depended on a wedding nor was I suggesting we couldn't afford it, we simply refuse to spend more than that for one day.
It's just a party. But it's also a celebration of our love, which for me was very important to share with our families. It's not about being extravagant or wasting money. It's a special day though, and shouldn't be treated as a bar b q house party, IMO.
I don't care if my wedding is simple, and plain. I do care if it's tacky and a joke. Unfortunately the wedding industry has allowed these places to charge out the wazoo making even the smallest, simplest weddings more than $7k.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I agree whole heartedly that it's all about love, trust, and devotion. Nobody was discussing that their marriage depended on a wedding nor was I suggesting we couldn't afford it, we simply refuse to spend more than that for one day.
It's just a party. But it's also a celebration of our love, which for me was very important to share with our families. It's not about being extravagant or wasting money. It's a special day though, and shouldn't be treated as a bar b q house party, IMO.
I don't care if my wedding is simple, and plain. I do care if it's tacky and a joke. Unfortunately the wedding industry has allowed these places to charge out the wazoo making even the smallest, simplest weddings more than $7k.
Tacky is in the eye of the beholder.

Some of the nicest weddings in my experience cost the least. . .in a park, with the guests all donating food for the reception which was also in the park. I did flowers & played photographer for a friend. That was my wedding gift to her.

Some of the tackiest weddings that I've been to cost the most.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,461 times
Don't tell the caterer it's a wedding, tell them it's a party and ask for some possible menus. I

Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tacky is in the eye of the beholder.

Some of the nicest weddings in my experience cost the least. . .in a park, with the guests all donating food for the reception which was also in the park. I did flowers & played photographer for a friend. That was my wedding gift to her.

Some of the tackiest weddings that I've been to cost the most.
That's the thing though...even weddings in the park can cost $7K, especially if you're talking about having 150 people there.

The same wedding you went to that may have cost $1K 20 years ago would probably cost $7K today.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,775 times
The easiest way to cut the price is to cut the guest list.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
You know, I hate to be old, I am 60, but weddings have changed a lot since back in the day.
I grew up in NC, went to school up north. After graduation there was a circuit of six weddings. Four northern weddings, 2 southern.

The difference was stark. Even in 70's the northern weddings had all the stuff, big post wedding meal, bands, etc. The southern weddings were like the ones I had always gone to. Wedding, then reception, normally in parrish hall/fellowship hall, sometimes, reception at Country Club. Drinking not eating.

The influx of northerners, bless their hearts, has turned weddings into the big todo that they are today.

My Wedding in 1982, was still "southern" I think I bought four cases of champagne, three for $5 a bottle and the starter case was the good stuff, at $7 dollars a bottle. My new inlaws did not drink (in public) so I had to spring for the champers. My mom paid for "the guy" that did the pouring in our hometown, and then we had a cake.

I also had about $40K in the bank at the end of the day. And we are still married coming up on 30 years.

This whole $80 a plate deal or whatever, has been thrust upon you be greedy vendors with their hands out. You can be smart and cut that crap out, and have some money to start your marriage, or you can be stupid, like the other sheep, and line the pockets of the piranhas that want your money.

Think about it, the wedding ceremony is what counts. If you think otherwise, you are doomed.

Some are right, you only get married once, but you live together and have financial wants and needs every day after that one.

Good Luck, LLN

Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You know, I hate to be old, I am 60, but weddings have changed a lot since back in the day.
I grew up in NC, went to school up north. After graduation there was a circuit of six weddings. Four northern weddings, 2 southern.

The difference was stark. Even in 70's the northern weddings had all the stuff, big post wedding meal, bands, etc. The southern weddings were like the ones I had always gone to. Wedding, then reception, normally in parrish hall/fellowship hall, sometimes, reception at Country Club. Drinking not eating.

The influx of northerners, bless their hearts, has turned weddings into the big todo that they are today.

My Wedding in 1982, was still "southern" I think I bought four cases of champagne, three for $5 a bottle and the starter case was the good stuff, at $7 dollars a bottle. My new inlaws did not drink (in public) so I had to spring for the champers. My mom paid for "the guy" that did the pouring in our hometown, and then we had a cake.

I also had about $40K in the bank at the end of the day. And we are still married coming up on 30 years.

This whole $80 a plate deal or whatever, has been thrust upon you be greedy vendors with their hands out. You can be smart and cut that crap out, and have some money to start your marriage, or you can be stupid, like the other sheep, and line the pockets of the piranhas that want your money.

Think about it, the wedding ceremony is what counts. If you think otherwise, you are doomed.

Some are right, you only get married once, but you live together and have financial wants and needs every day after that one.

Good Luck, LLN
You like to lump all northerners into one big ugly, tacky, greedy pot, don't you?

You & I are the same age.

Growing up in Michigan, I went to some family weddings that were exactly what you described as Southern, minus any booze, because that was an expense that no one felt was necessary.

After moving to South Jersey, I can tell you that most of the people who I knew, in our generation, were either married in Fairmont Park in Philadelphia or Cooper River Park, in South Jersey, except my Quaker friends, who were married in the meeting houses, for obvious reasons, if you've ever been to a Quaker wedding.

While the weddings in the parks are no longer as popular as they used to be, it's still not unusual to drive past a wedding in a park, there. Driving to the South Jersey shore for a beach wedding is more popular now than it was then.

I do agree with you that weddings have become an industry, but that's a nation-wide trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte