Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times

Advertisements

My husband who is now in the CLT area in his new job has been hearing in the news this week about CMS pulling back $5M out of the budget for the schools to save $$. Can someone pls shed light on this? How will schools be affected: teachers? programs? busing? Which schools (any rumors)? We have 2 kids that will be in the CMS system at least this fall (3rd and K). Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
My husband who is now in the CLT area in his new job has been hearing in the news this week about CMS pulling back $5M out of the budget for the schools to save $$. Can someone pls shed light on this? How will schools be affected: teachers? programs? busing? Which schools (any rumors)? We have 2 kids that will be in the CMS system at least this fall (3rd and K). Thanks!!
No one knows the answers to these questions yet. The process for figuring out where and how to cut the money has only just started. One consequence will most likely be bigger class sizes.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Here is a related article from the Charlotte Observer

CMS layoffs get under way; Gorman says more to come (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/577102.html - broken link)

Old 03-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Thanks NCGirl

That's a good link. I asked my husband if he had checked the Observer yet, but he has been in CLT less than one week (will be exactly 1 week Sat) so he's still getting his feet wet :-).

Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM

55 posts, read 222,287 times
I worked as a contractor for almost 3 years installing computers and servers in CMS schools. In 3 years I observed a maximum of 1:30 in genuine classroom instruction.

Anyone who enrolls a pupil in CMS should be sued for child abuse.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
I worked as a contractor for almost 3 years installing computers and servers in CMS schools. In 3 years I observed a maximum of 1:30 in genuine classroom instruction.

HUH? Maybe I just don't understand your post . . .

Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post

Isn't that a bit extreme? I don't like the ratios either, but where are these numbers coming from?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
CMS wastes so much money its crazy. They need to get rid of half of their central office staff, cut way back on busing costs, get rid of magnet programs or require magnet kids to provide their own transportation, reduce the salary of administrators, etc. CMS asks for considerably more than they need every year - then they threaten to layoff teachers because they know that will get a reaction from the public. If this recession has taught us anything hopefully it will be to get back to basics. Recklessly throwing money at something does not make it better....

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
My husband who is now in the CLT area in his new job has been hearing in the news this week about CMS pulling back $5M out of the budget for the schools to save $$. Can someone pls shed light on this? How will schools be affected: busing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
CMS wastes so much money its crazy.
CMS buses run over 100,000 miles every single school day.
$5M is not a drop in the proverbial bucket to cover that monstrous cost - such contributes zero to the real 'education of the child'.

I would never consider the public CMS system for my little ones until it is broken up into much smaller units which would be more manageable and accountable. Furthermore, I do not ask you to pay to educate my children, why should I pay to educate yours?

Maybe if we had a thrifty manufacturing/trade class in this country we would not be such slaves to the Chinese.
And if they [Chinese] quit buying our debt, the USA is in REAL trouble...stay tuned.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant, I just received a horrible CMS story today from a [now] former teacher...she quit. Today.
It's a real tear jerker. A great teacher with experience (15+ yrs) who just cannot take it anymore.

Last edited by mullman; 03-05-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 PM

Default So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
CMS wastes so much money its crazy. They need to get rid of half of their central office staff, cut way back on busing costs, get rid of magnet programs or require magnet kids to provide their own transportation, reduce the salary of administrators, etc. CMS asks for considerably more than they need every year - then they threaten to layoff teachers because they know that will get a reaction from the public. If this recession has taught us anything hopefully it will be to get back to basics. Recklessly throwing money at something does not make it better....
I can understand this. I am just concerned, to be completely selfish, about how it affects the kids going to the schools: their education, class size, support system, etc. I can understand corruption and the need to trim the fat (hello, I'm from Illinois ). I just hope the cleanup happens but does not overly affect the most important people involved: the kids and the teachers who educate them. Maybe I'm being naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte