Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You like to lump all northerners into one big ugly, tacky, greedy pot, don't you?
NO, it is what it is. Check my comments on the thread about a fellow looking for school admin job. You can apologize, later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
NO, it is what it is. Check my comments on the thread about a fellow looking for school admin job. You can apologize, later.
OK, so you didn't take a potshot at him. Congratulations. You frequently do as I described, though.

My experience in the 1970s was that I knew one girl whose wedding had all of the bells & whistles. Everyone who I knew who attended (including me & my family) thought that it was over the top & tacky. At that, the wedding was in a Presbyterian church & the church hall.

Growing up in the '50s & '60s, most of us had parents who were Depression kids. The frugality of the time stuck with them. My mother always said that the South & the Midwest were hit worst.

The OP is asking for advice to have a modest wedding that is within his budget.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,833 times
I want a modest wedding for far less guests on a bit of a larger budget, some things in life arent possible. Like pigs flying.. Sad but true.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 13,232 times
My husband and I had a very elegant, but budget friendly wedding. We had about 200 people show up and only spent about $5K (not including the rings). We got several comments from people that it was the nicest the had been to in a long time!

Some of the things that we did to keep expenses down were:

1) We planned our wedding ourselves. In 5 months at that! It doesn't take a genius to put a wedding together. There are so many resources online.
2) Rented the sanctuary and multi-purpose room at my church. Only spent $200-$250
3) I designed our invitations and programs as I'm a graphic designer. My mom, my husband and I made them as my mom is an scrapbook fanatic!
4) Maid of honor and Bridesmaid wore simple black dresses, bought at Macy's on clearance for about $50 each. Every woman can use a black dress!
5) My dress was bought at a store at Concord Mills mall for about $300 (I think alterations were included, if not it was pretty cheap).
6) Put candles, tea lights, etc on tables at the reception instead of flowers. We bought these half price at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale. Others, along with lanterns and glass votives were bought at Ikea.
7) We used friends with skills and talents to help us with our wedding. This included a caterer, piano player, an 8 yr old child that knew how to play the chello/violin. Several friends used their talents as a wedding gift to us.
8) We set up tables, put up decorations, etc the day before our wedding.
9) We did not serve alcohol at the reception. Huge money saver!
10) We planned our wedding for 2:00 in the afternoon, so people did not expect a huge, sit down meal. We did end up with a very nice spread, candy table and chocolate fountain (borrowed from a family member).
11) Instead of spending money on favors (a useless trinket that nobody really wants), we gave out candy and a nice picture of us from our engagement session.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyia81 View Post
My husband and I had a very elegant, but budget friendly wedding. We had about 200 people show up and only spent about $5K (not including the rings). We got several comments from people that it was the nicest the had been to in a long time!

1) We planned our wedding ourselves. In 5 months at that! It doesn't take a genius to put a wedding together. There are so many resources online.
2) Rented the sanctuary and multi-purpose room at my church. Only spent $200-$250
3) I designed our invitations and programs as I'm a graphic designer. My mom, my husband and I made them as my mom is an scrapbook fanatic!
4) Maid of honor and Bridesmaid wore simple black dresses, bought at Macy's on clearance for about $50 each. Every woman can use a black dress!
5) My dress was bought at a store at Concord Mills mall for about $300 (I think alterations were included, if not it was pretty cheap).
6) Put candles, tea lights, etc on tables at the reception instead of flowers. We bought these half price at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale. Others, along with lanterns and glass votives were bought at Ikea.
7) We used friends with skills and talents to help us with our wedding. This included a caterer, piano player, an 8 yr old child that knew how to play the chello/violin. Several friends used their talents as a wedding gift to us.
10) We planned our wedding for 2:00 in the afternoon, so people did not expect a huge, sit down meal. We did end up with a very nice spread, candy table and chocolate fountain (borrowed from a family member).
11) Instead of spending money on favors (a useless trinket that nobody really wants), we gave out candy and a nice picture of us from our engagement session.
We did many of the same things, with a budget of $5000 including rings. We only had 85 people, had a daytime wedding (1130), lunch reception, and no alcohol. Several people in my family still compliment our wedding, nine years later, on how it was the best they ever attended.

I think limiting guests, choosing non-traditional times, like morning/lunch, and doing many of the things yourself can allow you to have a beautiful wedding on a budget.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyia81 View Post

6) Put candles, tea lights, etc on tables at the reception instead of flowers. We bought these half price at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale. Others, along with lanterns and glass votives were bfought at Ikea.
I really like this idea. Too bad my church doesn't have a hall big enough to accommodate 200 people.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Just an update, me and my fiance believe we'll settle on the Charles Mack Center in Mooresville. Now just to get around the catering. If you know of any caterers in the range of $15-30pp range let me know.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Just an update, me and my fiance believe we'll settle on the Charles Mack Center in Mooresville. Now just to get around the catering. If you know of any caterers in the range of $15-30pp range let me know.
We had our reception there and we were very happy. Make sure you walk through the space closer to time and understand what all the lighting options are/sound system/etc...it can get a little complicated. We got some great shots at night walking up and down Main Street too.

We used a caterer out of Hickory which was a family friend. Let me ask my MIL...my SIL had her reception there too.

Do you have a cake person? I have someone that does all of our stuff and she's in Mooresville. She brought us 9 4 inch cakes to sample. It was heaven. She does flowers too and is very reasonable....well as reasonable as anything wedding can be.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,976 times
Catered Occasions, Inc.

Here's who my SIL used in 2004....so it's been a while, but they were happy with her...and they had like 350 people (i wish i was kidding).

Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
I had a friend that got the flowers for her wedding thru a vendor at the farmer's market at a very affordable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte