Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to NC and inparticular was looking to move to Charlotte or the surrounding suburb. Something similiar to where I am now, currently about 10 minutes outside of Detroit. I work in the medical field and looking for a work commute less than 30 minutes, and somewhere within in a 20 minute drive of a community college or university for son. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Hi, KRISD! Well, we have some great community colleges here. So you are in luck with that. And the medical field is by far one of the best to find work in, too. You can live right here in Charlotte and your son can attend Central Piedmont (CP). There is also UNC-Charlotte, but why not go to CP and then transfer to UNC-Charlotte . . . very reasonable on tuition costs.

You can move up north of the city - like Huntersville - there is a medical center there, too, and an extension campus of CP.

If you are not set on being right around Charlotte, Hickory/Catawba County is about an hour away and they have Catawba Valley Community College - and I noticed Frye Regional is advertising quite a few medical positions open right now.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
Just wanting to say welcome. We moved from Michigan 1 year ago (almost exactly) love it here! We lived a little further north than you in Michigan but still southeast.

Ask all your questions there are very knowledgeable people here to help with just about anything!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I would start with checking out Presbyterian Novant and Carolinas Medical Center.

Presbyterian Healthcare - Home

You will find a link to other hospital campuses that are in the system - and they would also be places to find a job and a house/apt nearby and still allow for a reasonable commute for your son's classes.

http://www.carolinasmedicalcenter.org/

There is a link that won't pull up when I try to paste it . . . for Carolinas Healthcare System, where I think it will list the other campuses related to CMC -wh/ are spread throughout the region. So you will want to check out all those locations, as many are within commuting distance to various community colleges.

If you would be interested in being further away from Charlotte, you can check out Frye Regional Medical Center (Tenet) in Hickory/Catawba County. I noticed they were listing a lot of jobs. And the community college there is Catawba Valley Community College (CVCC). That would put you about an hour away from Charlotte, but you may find the job you want there, so that is why I am throwing that into the mix. Lenoir-Rhyne University is there, but it is pretty darned expensive. However, you can check out student financial aid if that might be where your son would like to transfer to after finishing junior college.

http://www.lr.edu/visitors/about-hickory

Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,407 times
Looking forward to the move. Never lived outside of Michigan. Just looking for a nice, friendly, affordable, safe environment that me my husband and child can enjoy.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisd75 View Post
Looking forward to the move. Never lived outside of Michigan. Just looking for a nice, friendly, affordable, safe environment that me my husband and child can enjoy.

You do realize it's going to be a more expensive cost of living to move from Detroit to Charlotte right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte